Start by marking “Try Me” as Want to Read:
Try Me

Try Me

Property tycoon's daughter, international con-woman and convicted fraudster Farah Damji tells the story of her life behind the headlines.
Published July 7th 2009 by The Ark Press

To ask other readers questions about Try Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Try Me

Mark Farley
Jun 23, 2013 Mark Farley rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I come across a book that makes me want to give up being a writer. A book that makes me think, 'that's it, what's the point in what I am doing' because there is absolutely no way I could ever match up to the sort of lyricism and style of 'Try Me' by Farah Damji. The bravery, sheer guts and smarts it not only takes to live this life but also lay it down, barest of bones for all to see is beyond belief. The poetry, symmetry and assimilation of the text is marvelous, well-set like jewels ...more
Amy Power
Jun 17, 2009 Amy Power rated it it was amazing
I read this book and thought it was brutally honest and told the tale of a woman who knows where she's gone wrong. Damji's not treading on eggshells when telling her story, and it's pretty refreshing.
Not only did the content keep me engaged but it's beautifully written too. The way she describes Africa leaves you feeling like you were there. And despite some of the content, there's no hint of a "kiss and tell" vibe. Definitely a must-read!
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Nov 21, 2010 Lynne - The Book Squirrel rated it did not like it
Recommended to Lynne - The Book Squirrel by: won in a goodreads draw
I was lucky enough to win this book from a Goodreads draw.

I usually read 10% of a book to see if it 'grabs' me. So with 271 pages thats 27 pages. Unfortunately this one could not even keep my attention for 5 pages! I am defeated! Sorry!
Saul Delaney
Jun 26, 2009 Saul Delaney rated it did not like it
An incoherent clumsily written rant. Author tries to create a narrative that justifies her past sociopathic behavior, but fails to. In the end you just feel great pity for the author's multiple victims and no interest in or empathy for the clearly damaged narrator. A disappointing read.
Farah Damji
Dec 05, 2013 Farah Damji rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone interetsed in stories of exile, journies and identity
J
J rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Suebee
Suebee rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2009
Tasmin Betty
Tasmin Betty rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2009
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2009
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2010
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2010
Austin Miller
Austin Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Soni
Soni added it
Dec 17, 2011
Manuela
Manuela marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Mely
Mely added it
May 07, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Entering the contest 2 14 Jul 12, 2009 05:21PM
Long before she went to prison for perverting the course of justice and theft, Farah Damji was making waves by being a coloured woman, living an anti-coloured woman's life. Through her journalism for mainstream and ethnic media, she became well-known known as the voice of dissent. Farah was amongst the first to denounce multiculturalism for being a gravy-train sham. She stated in 2002 that it was ...more
More about Farah Damji...