Start by marking “The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga” as Want to Read:
The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga

The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga

Osamu Tezuka has often been called “the god of manga” and “the Walt Disney of Japan,” but he was far more than that. Tezuka was Walt Disney, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Tim Burton, and Carl Sagan all rolled into one incredibly prolific creator, changing the face of Japanese culture forever. Best known for Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion, Tezuka was instrumental in developing ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Osamu Tezuka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Osamu Tezuka

Noran Miss Pumkin
Available for $6 on amazon. Have to look for it-another listing sells it $16=still a good deal! I finally just scored my own copy of this great book this week. I bought it 2 years ago, at Uncle Fun's of Chicago 2 years ago. I am really getting into this author and his works now. Very enjoyable on many levels-many moral lessons throughout the stories.
Parka
Nov 17, 2009 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books, manga

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Here's a look at The Art of Osamu Tezuka which isn't out yet online, but I managed to find it in the bookshop. Lucky!

It comes with cardboard onlay of Astro Boy pasted on top the hardcover, a 45 minute documentary DVD and a soft transparent vinyl dust jacket. There are two publishers for the book, Ilex and Abrams ComicArt, with Ilex distributing for the UK market.

The author Helen McCarthy has compiled a rather in depth biography of Osamu Tezuka. The content is pr
Tosh
Oct 17, 2009 Tosh rated it really liked it
This is an excellent visual biography on one of the great artists of the 20th Century. To call him the Walt Disney of Japan is not exactly the right description, but for those from the West, perhaps the most understandable.

The truth is Tezuka was an amazing visionary and I see him as a combination of Jacques Tati, Jules Verne, and a hardboiled crime novelist -as well as writing mangas for kids. A remarkable figure in the annimation arts as well as a businessman who built an empire.

There is also
Jacobmartin
Jan 01, 2010 Jacobmartin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, art, great-creators
Oh My God Of Manga, this book really opened my eyes. It's like Mythbusters, in that instead of urban legends it busts the mythologising of Osamu Tezuka as God of Manga, depicting him as a skilled craftsman, but yet he was a human being all along. Certain details of his life are confirmed as true - his getting beaten up by the foreman of the asbestos factory Tezuka worked in during the harshness of Japanese wartime, his seeing things so horrible that his pages of manga depicting what he saw durin ...more
Ergros
Feb 21, 2013 Ergros rated it it was amazing
I'd always been very interested in the work of Osamu Tezuka, but his life was an utter mystery to me. I knew his popular characters--Astro Boy, Kimba, Unico, Black Jack, and many others, but what did I know about the manga artist himself? Almost nothing. So I decided to find out.
The book starts off with the very beginning of Tezuka's life. He was born in a pre-WWII Japan, and had a very relaxed and comfortable childhood, with parents who supported his art and were very interested in art themselv
SJ
The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga is a large and beautiful book. It should be, because cataloging Osamu Tezuka's massive body of work along with biographical information, historical context, and art criticism in a single volume is an ambitious undertaking! The book package also includes a television featurette of the artist at work, which I watched and enjoyed.

Overall, I think that McCarthy makes great connections in the book, though there was one section of painful reading. It's a rebuttal
Jason Keenan
Feb 28, 2017 Jason Keenan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan

Big and bright this book is the perfect companion to the manga biography the Osamu Tezuka Story. The structure is perfect for tracing this history of the artist - it starts with a biographical overview of a decade and then offers up snapshots of the manga and anime projects for that decade.

The rich reward are the many pictures of stories - especially those that remain untranslated for the English market.

This is a great history of a key slice of manga and anime
Rommel Joson
Dec 09, 2012 Rommel Joson rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Loaded with photos and illustrations, the book provides a glimpse into Tezuka's childhood and early beginnings plus an overview of his three decade career. His most famous works are covered as well as some of his unfinished works and enduring legacy. The 45 minute DVD included in the book is also a great bonus. It shows Tezuka at work in his studio along with some interviews with Tezuka himself that provides some insight into the artist that came to be known as the "god of manga".
John (JP) Parsons
269 pages indexed with a CD. If you are a fan of the artitst buy the book. Otherwise get this from your library. The book is more about the artist than it is about Astro Boy. That said I found the book and artist fancinating. The CD alone opens up and inside view of Tezuka's world and of urban Japan..
Yew Siang
Apr 06, 2013 Yew Siang rated it it was amazing
To a manga fan, who really enjoyed reading his epic classics of "Astro Boy", "Black Jack" , "Buddha" and probably even "Dororo" this book sums up Tezuka's life works. Which is AMAZING. For new fans of Tezuka, one might even want to use this book to decide on which manga series of his one wants to start reading firs, as there are short sypnosis to the story and also snipshots from the manga.
Michael
Dec 23, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, art
A terrifically important book, but probably the worst written book-on-comics I've ever read. McCarthy's prose is sloppy, inconsistent, awkward, jarring. The design, layout, and paperstock are also all kind of regrettable.
Taylor Cayes
Dec 02, 2012 Taylor Cayes rated it really liked it
This book exposed me to a lot more of Tezuka than I ever thought I'd learn and gave me an immense appreciation for what he accomplished. While I don't think it's necessary to go quite as in depth into all of his story plots, this is a great resource for those who are curious about any of his work.
Adam Cummings
Jan 03, 2016 Adam Cummings rated it really liked it
Very beautiful book, captures his art well and does as much as it can to cover such a huge life with so many complex works.
Ben
Dec 29, 2016 Ben rated it liked it
Works great as an art book, but I found the text very dry
Brad
Dec 09, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing
Superb overview of the life and work of Tezuka. Highly recommended.
Baahaarmast
Jan 05, 2014 Baahaarmast rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Laurence Green
Laurence Green rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2017
Chris Rabb
Chris Rabb rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Thuraya Lynn
Thuraya Lynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2012
Steve Wu
Steve Wu rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2017
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Ottery StCatchpole
Ottery StCatchpole rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Don Moore
Don Moore rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Samah Kamil
Samah Kamil rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Emeraldia Ayakashi
Emeraldia Ayakashi rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Caro
Caro rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
Jem
Jem rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
  • Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes
  • A Drifting Life
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name
More about Helen McCarthy...