The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga

The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Osamu Tezuka has often been called “the god of manga” and “the Walt Disney of Japan,” but he was far more than that. Tezuka was Walt Disney, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Tim Burton, and Carl Sagan all rolled into one incredibly prolific creator, changing the face of Japanese culture forever. Best known for Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion, Tezuka was instrumental in developing...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Osamu Tezuka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Osamu Tezuka

Noran Miss Pumkin
Available for $6 on amazon. Have to look for it-another listing sells it $16=still a good deal! I finally just scored my own copy of this great book this week. I bought it 2 years ago, at Uncle Fun's of Chicago 2 years ago. I am really getting into this author and his works now. Very enjoyable on many levels-many moral lessons throughout the stories.
Tosh
This is an excellent visual biography on one of the great artists of the 20th Century. To call him the Walt Disney of Japan is not exactly the right description, but for those from the West, perhaps the most understandable.

The truth is Tezuka was an amazing visionary and I see him as a combination of Jacques Tati, Jules Verne, and a hardboiled crime novelist -as well as writing mangas for kids. A remarkable figure in the annimation arts as well as a businessman who built an empire.

There is also...more
Jacobmartin
Oh My God Of Manga, this book really opened my eyes. It's like Mythbusters, in that instead of urban legends it busts the mythologising of Osamu Tezuka as God of Manga, depicting him as a skilled craftsman, but yet he was a human being all along. Certain details of his life are confirmed as true - his getting beaten up by the foreman of the asbestos factory Tezuka worked in during the harshness of Japanese wartime, his seeing things so horrible that his pages of manga depicting what he saw durin...more
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Here's a look at The Art of Osamu Tezuka which isn't out yet online, but I managed to find it in the bookshop. Lucky!

It comes with cardboard onlay of Astro Boy pasted on top the hardcover, a 45 minute documentary DVD and a soft transparent vinyl dust jacket. There are two publishers for the book, Ilex and Abrams ComicArt, with Ilex distributing for the UK market.

The author Helen McCarthy has compiled a rather in depth biography of Osamu Tezuka. The content is pr...more
Ergros
I'd always been very interested in the work of Osamu Tezuka, but his life was an utter mystery to me. I knew his popular characters--Astro Boy, Kimba, Unico, Black Jack, and many others, but what did I know about the manga artist himself? Almost nothing. So I decided to find out.
The book starts off with the very beginning of Tezuka's life. He was born in a pre-WWII Japan, and had a very relaxed and comfortable childhood, with parents who supported his art and were very interested in art themselv...more
Rommel Joson
Loaded with photos and illustrations, the book provides a glimpse into Tezuka's childhood and early beginnings plus an overview of his three decade career. His most famous works are covered as well as some of his unfinished works and enduring legacy. The 45 minute DVD included in the book is also a great bonus. It shows Tezuka at work in his studio along with some interviews with Tezuka himself that provides some insight into the artist that came to be known as the "god of manga".
Yew Siang
To a manga fan, who really enjoyed reading his epic classics of "Astro Boy", "Black Jack" , "Buddha" and probably even "Dororo" this book sums up Tezuka's life works. Which is AMAZING. For new fans of Tezuka, one might even want to use this book to decide on which manga series of his one wants to start reading firs, as there are short sypnosis to the story and also snipshots from the manga.
JParsons1974 Parsons
269 pages indexed with a CD. If you are a fan of the artitst buy the book. Otherwise get this from your library. The book is more about the artist than it is about Astro Boy. That said I found the book and artist fancinating. The CD alone opens up and inside view of Tezuka's world and of urban Japan..
Michael
A terrifically important book, but probably the worst written book-on-comics I've ever read. McCarthy's prose is sloppy, inconsistent, awkward, jarring. The design, layout, and paperstock are also all kind of regrettable.
Brad
Superb overview of the life and work of Tezuka. Highly recommended.
Kaion
Kaion marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Hinotori
Hinotori marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Christy Coombs
Christy Coombs marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation 500 Essential Anime Movies: The Ultimate Guide 500 Manga Heroes and Villains The Anime Movie Guide: Movie-by-Movie Guide to Japanese Animation since 1983 Manga Cross-Stitch: Make Your Own Graphic Art Needlework