Mommy Doesn'T Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety

Mommy Doesn'T Drink Here Anymore: Getting Through the First Year of Sobriety

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Part recovery, part self-help, and all real, raw stories of waking up for the sake of your self and your children, Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore follows one mother's journey from cocktail mama to sober mama. The loving mother of twins and a newborn, Brownell used alcohol to maintain a sense of her adult self and be more than "just mommy." It didn't take long before her...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Doesn'T Drink Here Anymore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Doesn'T Drink Here Anymore

Joanne
A funny book about a serious subject, this memoir takes us into the life of Rachael Brownell. She tells us how she used to drink, how it was affecting her family and how she used AA to pull herself out of the downward spiral she was stuck in. I read this very quickly, in one or two hours. I definitely don't recommend purchasing it, but if you see it at the library and the subject interests you, it's a very entertaining book. I'm sure there are plenty of moms out there who will be able to relate...more
Celia
I've read other books written by women dealing with addiction (Drinking, A Love Story; Truth and Beauty)-- this was as beautifully written as those and then some because the author chronicled the actual moment by moment willingness and what it takes to say no day in and day out to that which on some level you always love but is kiling you-- I am no a substance abuser, but have food addiction issues and so appreciated the parallel nature of hers and my story.

I even corresponded with the author on...more
Sarah Benton
Rachael Brownell has he courage to write about what so many mothers are experiences but feeling to much shame to come forward. She is opening the doors on discussing this topic and increasing awareness around the topic of mothers and alcoholism. She writes eloquently and with an appropriate sense of humor that allows the reader to truly hear her voice. This is a must read for mothers who are sober, their loved ones and those who think they may have an alcohol problem. As a therapist, I have reco...more
Crystal
I feel like my choice to receive this ARC, and consequently read it, might need a little bit of background story.

Since I mentioned previously that I’m not so into self-help books, my reading this may seem strange. However, alcoholism is something that runs in my family and I decided I wanted to read something that would maybe help me get some insight into the addictions no one wants to talk about, but we all know exist.

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
Kristin
Kudos to Rachel Brownwell for a memoir of a woman who is not the mother of an alcoholic, but she herself is an alcoholic mother. Candid and hopeful, and speaks to those women who are overlooked, desperate and vulnerable. Addicted mothers hide their disease due to extreme shame and quilt, and, therefore, are often the most quietly devastated - and the most reluctant to seek help. She's a heroine for her courage, strength, and humor. I read it in a day.
Andrea
A very fast read, mommyblogger-style, about one woman's realization that she needs to get and stay sober. Some pretty raw stuff here, and her ability to write about the totally bleak stuff so honestly is really moving. Her explanations of her struggles feel totally real. A great book.
Katlet
This was a quick read, and a good one. Made me remember the best part of AA - knowing I am not alone with my feelings/experiences. Not too cultish, though. Supportive and thought provoking.
Melissa
My only question more and more is why aren't all mothers of small children alcoholics? Seriously, this was a great read for anyone.

PS - Chocolate is actually my drug of choice!
Amy Hatvany
Great memoir from a funny, self-effacing woman who struggles to come to terms with her alcoholism.
Gmccs
Gmccs marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Reyna Mummert
Reyna Mummert marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachael Brownell is the mother of three and a recovering alcoholic and perfectionist. She writes a monthly column, Rugrat Reprieve, for the Imperfect Parent, wrote a daily column for Babbles Strollerderby Parenting blog, and was recently managing editor for supereco.com. She lives and breathes books and language. "
More about Rachael Brownell...
Holding on Weakness (Holding On)