Start by marking “The Fault Tree” as Want to Read:
The Fault Tree

The Fault Tree

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Arizona auto mechanic Cadence Moran is no stranger to darkness. She was blinded in a horrific car accident eight years ago that also took the life of her three-year old niece. She knows she was only partially to blame, but that doesn't make the loss any easier to bear. She's learned to get by, but there are still painful memories. When she is almost run down by a speeding ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published January 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Fault Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fault Tree

Jo Reason
My Review
Fantastic novel, and with such a different theme, the main character Cadence Moran is blind and she is the main witness to a murder, expect with being blind she is a different type of witness, she doesn't really even know what happened apart that her elderly neighbour was murdered, she can identify smells, noises but she cant help out much more.

I turned off all the lights. Nobody here needed them anyway.

The novel is written in two different points of view. Cadence and the rest. Cadenc
Loraine
This mystery was a little grittier than I normally read but I did like the storyline. Cadence Moran is a blind lady mechanic who witnesses the getaway car from the murder of a neighbor. Her fined tuned ears and overly senstive sense of smell pick up clues that the detectives think she is making up. The murderer spots her as he drives away but does not know she's blind. It is only when attempts are made on her life that the detectives begin to take her seriously. Full of twists and turns this was ...more
Dawade
The fault tree, this book had me at antifreeze. A very good story line with twist and turns, with few dead ends. To wonder what is going on is just the start of it, the detail used for the blind heroine was something out of a blockbuster movie. I give it 2 thumbs up, and suggest reading with a cool frosty beverage.
Rosee
Cadence Moran was blinded in a car wreck that took the life of her niece 8 years earlier. She has managed to carve out a life for herself as a mechanic and while walking home one day, is nearly struck and killed by a vehicle. But this is no accident. The driver is a murderer, a man who killed an elderly couple and believes that Cadence has seen and can identify him. Wonderfully reminiscent of Wait Until Dark
Kris
Despite our best efforts and intentions, things go wrong—as 31-year-old Cade nee Moran knows all too well, eight years after a car accident that blinded her and killed her cousin's three-year-old daughter. A skilled auto mechanic who relies on touch, sound, and smell to do her work, she lives in the sighted world without a seeing-eye dog or even dark glasses. So when she's the sole witness to a burglary that ends in murder, she becomes a target for the killers (known to readers from the start), ...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Fault Tree, by Louise Ure, A-minus, borrowed from the Library for the Blind on talking book.

In this book, the protagonist, who was in a car accident, lost her sight. She became a mechanic and was very good at fixing cars and trucks that did not involve computer chips, but could be mechanically fixed. She worked late one night, and when she left, she heard a scream, running footsteps, a slam of a car door, and then a car came hurtling toward her down the street. She jumped out of the way but
Marlyn
Nikki
Another mystery with a Southwestern setting and a protagonist with a lot of issues, this one was so good that I'm excited to read more by this author. Auto mechanic Cadence Moran has two handicaps in her chosen field -- she's a woman, and she's blind. But she can diagnose mechanical problems by sound and feel and gets from home to work and back with the aid of a custom-made cane. One night she hears some strange noises, and then is knocked down by a car with some unusual engine sounds. The next ...more
Diane A Brown
A blind person as a witness, not possible…or is it?

Cadence Moran felt confident in her position as an auto mechanic. She often worked after hours when the shop was quiet. It had been a long day and Cadence was ready to go home and relax. A wave of Arizona heat rose from the sidewalk as she locked the door. Cadence followed the familiar routine, while listening for traffic and footsteps. Something curious caught her attention….A voice pleading for help, running footsteps, laughter, doors slammin
Bridget Conroy
This is my first book by this author and I wasn't sure what to expect. A friend of mine read it and said it was just ok. The book started off slow but started to pick up. I enjoyed the book but it wasn't the greatest most suspenseful book either. You kept wanting something to happen and it never really did or you could predict what was going to happen before it happened which I would like to be surprised once in a while. This was an ok book nothing special.
Mark Baker
Blind mechanic Cadence Moran is walking home from work one night when she "witnesses" a murder. Trying to help the police only attracts the killer's attention. I found the story frustratingly slow for a thriller and the ending completely unbelievable.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Agathafrye
This was my first Louise Ure book. Ure received a lot of acclaim for her first Shamus Award winning novel Forcing Amaryllis. This book's strong suit is her unusual main character Cadence, a strong woman auto mechanic who was blinded in a car accident as an adult. Ure did a great job of exploring the sensations of blindness and detailing Cadence's adaptive process following her loss of vision. I found the descriptions of Cadence's experiences and her increased ability to rely on her other senses ...more
Nikki
I keep saying I don't really like thrillers and then I keep reading and enjoying the ones that come my way. I enjoyed The Fault Tree primarily because of the spunky protagonist, a woman auto mechanic who has been blind for several years. When she is knocked down by a car on her way home from work one night, she is drawn into a murder investigation. With changing points of view and chapters of varying lengths, Ure blends the amateur sleuth with police procedural and gives us some insights into th ...more
Barbara B.
Interesting premise of a blind woman who is able to help solve a mystery with her keen sense of small and hearing, etc. And---in the process---is targeted. But she is almost (to me) too much of a super woman during the whole book.
Kendra
When blind mechanic, Cadence Moran, witnesses two murderers leaving the scene of their crime, she doesn't immediately know what has happened -- but the killers think that she can identify them, and she becomes their target. The ensuing story is a bit farfetched at times, but it was definitely interesting to see the clever ways that Cadence fights back without having sight to help her. My biggest problem with this book is the author's obvious lack of knowledge about police procedures -- for examp ...more
Ian
More of a crime novel than an out-an-out mystery, this book coasts by on the charms of a fascinating main character. Cadence's blindness opens up new decriptive vistas and made for a captivating experience. The actual crime plot seemed secondary - in fact, the professional sleuthing by the detectives definitely ranked as the B-story. That wasn't a problem for me since the character-driven sections were more interesting anyway.

Also, had a nice sense of place...at least it seemed that way for som
Kathleen Huben
Cadence Moran lost her eyesight in an auto accident 8 years ago. She now lives on her own and works as an auto mechanic, but she also carries a huge load of guilt for the niece that died in the accident.
Walking home from work she hears the getaway car used in a gruesom murder. The killers, unaware that she is blind, believe they need to elimate her as a potential witness and what follows is a story of wrong assumptions and misunderstandings that could cost Cadence her life.

I'm torn on how to r
Julie Achterhoff
Rebecca
judy
A really good read I almost didn't. When the end flap blurb mentioned a blind woman and a killer in the same sentence, I almost slammed the book shut. Oh pleeze, not another book/movie where the beautiful blind heroine is trapped in a house with a killer and the phones don't work. Wish granted--the author avoided all the usual cliches and created a tough and resourceful blind heroine for whom no dashing rescuer is needed. I'm off in search of her other books!
Jane
I really loved the protagonist in this one and the mystery worked. What didn't work was the somewhat over-the-top climax and how cavalier the police were about the fact that Cadence was identified as a witness. The fact that they didn't seem to think this might be a problem was weak and served only to make the plot move in the direction the author needed.

That being said, I still really enjoyed this and can't wait for the next Cadence mystery.
Mary
Saw a review in the Columbus Dispatch & decided to try it. The female main character is a blind auto mechanic. She was blinded in an accident a few years ago. It sounded intriguing... This was a pretty good crime novel. Interesting to learn how Cadence handled her life as a blind person, her tricks to manage. She could use some counseling for her guilt issues!! Worth reading if you have extra time & need a book. Not essential.
Vicki
Eh. Not the greatest but certainly not the worst book I've read this year. The narrative was the best part of the book; the actual plot was pretty weak. One thing that bothered me was that pretty much for the entire story, the protagonist didn't swear, not even a smidge, but in the last couple of chapters (or less?), she cursed like a sailor. Definitely didn't fit in with the rest of the book.
Erin
Erika
Pretty good book. A blind woman "witnesses" a murder & then the killers come after her, not realizing she was blind. It was interesting reading, the many ways she coped w/ her life & the difficulties of being blind. I also enjoyed following along w/ the police investigators trying to figure out who the killers were. A little unbelievable at times but still a interesting read.
Karen Morrill-mcclure
Only made it to page 56, but that's 100-my age (almost), so that was enough. The narrator was interesting because she was a blind auto mechanic, but I got tired of the author teasing the big event that caused her blindness. And I wasn't that interested in the murderer, his character didn't grab me at all. Probably wasn't the best mystery to read after the Callen.
Fran
Story was told from different perspectives, which was interesting. Protagonist was likable and someone you rooted for, although her sensory perceptions were a bit unbelievable. Detectives always came up short, and she had to lead them along. Even so, it was a fun story. Note: A cousin's daughters are cousins, not nieces!
Andrea
This mystery story set in Arizona is a very good, easy read. I think we all have a "fault tree" in our lives, and family members that do more harm to us than help and encourage us. It makes the courage of the lead character even more inspiring to me. I highly recommend this book.
Annice
A blind women hears a car as it races away from a murder - the murderer does not realize she is blind and tries to run her down but she manages to jump away injuring herself -

Not only was this a good police/murder book I also learned a little about what it must be like to be blind.
Mia
A decent if a bit formulaic mystery. I didn't really buy into the perpetrators' motivations or the police procedures. But all that said, the novel had one of the better blind female protagonists I've read. I actually liked her as a person.
  • Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3)
  • The Human Experiment: Two Years and Twenty Minutes Inside Biosphere 2
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • The Caretaker
  • The Kind One
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4)
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • Missing Persons (Kate Conway Mysteries, #1)
  • Forget to Remember (Carol Golden, #1)
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • The Last Refuge
  • Deceit
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill: A Novel
  • The Charlestown Connection
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #7)
Louise Ure spent a quarter of a century in advertising and marketing in the United States, Singapore and Australia before finding her true love: writing crime fiction. Her debut mystery, Forcing Amaryllis, won the Shamus Award for Best First Novel, and Booklists starred review said, "Ures debut so compellingly evokes the hot, dry Southwest, readers may want to have an ice-cold glass of water nearb ...more
More about Louise Ure...