Start by marking “An Incarnation of the Snow” as Want to Read:
An Incarnation of the Snow

An Incarnation of the Snow

This translation of an original Sanskrit script in the Vedic / Sanskrit religion-philosophic tradition tells the tale of Lord Shiwa - Uma or Parvati - snowy Himalayas' daughter. Examined within is the true politics of gender.
Published April 1st 2001 by Watkins Publishing

To ask other readers questions about An Incarnation of the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Incarnation of the Snow

Keith Willcock
Sep 18, 2013 Keith Willcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This mythological tale is set in the sacred mountains of India where it is said that "the great God dwells." It is suggested that all Hindu literature is nothing more than" a long hymn to the moon." where all that happens appears to take place in a "strange holy twilight" that cannot be translated from the Sanskrit to any other language in other than a paraphrased form.

I mention this because the reader is well advised to drop any attempt to understand our tale in a rational linear way. To do so
Mel
Friday while Bill and I were book shopping I noticed three bindings that looked familiar and sure enough found three more of F.W. Bain's translations of Indian stories. This one is undoubtably my favourite so far. I sat and read it in one go and it was very lovely. Even the preface was beautiful, talking about the romance of the moon. The story was told in a very lovely style. A swan relating how he'd been cursed to a goddess, the tragedy of his former life. It was done very much in the style of ...more
Japi
Japi rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Whitney Johnson
Whitney Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Hannah Walker
Hannah Walker marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Chris Haggqvist
Chris Haggqvist marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lidia
Lidia marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016