Start by marking “Wars, Guns, and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places” as Want to Read:
Wars, Guns, and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places

Wars, Guns, and Votes: Democracy in Dangerous Places

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In Wars, Guns, and Votes, Paul Collier investigates the violence and poverty in the small, remote countries at the lowest level of the global economy and argues that the spread of elections and peace settlements may lead to a brave new democratic world. For now and into the foreseeable future, however, nasty and long civil wars, military coups, and failing economies are th ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wars, Guns, and Votes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wars, Guns, and Votes

Praj
Paul Collier asserts the 21st century being the era of civil wars. If the claim is practically solidified, the peaceful restoration of a world community will be a far-fetched dream. Civil wars are detrimental to political and state progression, let alone humanity. A volatile umbrella sheltering ethnic discrepancies, power-related violence, abusive exploitation of developmental funds, brutality, genocide and the biggest scare of all thriving of terrorists pockets. Collier, an expert in developmen ...more
Geourska
A really interesting and surprisingly readable book. Paul Collier has a delightful way of expressing ideas so that they are witty and comprehensible at the same time. He makes reference to a lot of the research that he has done, without overloading us with unreadable academic jargon. I suppose this might frustrate a more serious reader, but it made the book accessible for me. I do not know about economics or politics to be able to judge whether his ideas are reasonable or not, but in any case, t ...more
Elliot
Much like "The Bottom Billion" I found this book rather frustrating. While I agree that changes need to be made in the provision of foreign aid, and I don't agree with Sachs that it's simply that we need to throw a ton of money at the problem, I think Collier's proposed solutions are incredibly unrealistic. He's an economist, which I love, but his solutions are things that are completely unfeasible politically. Without taking into account what is actually possible politically suggestions like th ...more
Ben
Interesting read. The book starts by giving a description of daily life politics at the bottom billion. He subsequently analyses the threats (guns, wars and coups). The insights gains in the analyses then provide a framework to assess how the international community could intervene to provide the essentials necessary o get on the tracks for peace (i.e., to introduce accountability and security as public) goods. The final chapter consists of 3 proposals of potential intervention that could help t ...more
Doron
Response to both Amy Chua in ‘World On Fire’ and Paul Collier in ‘War, Guns and Votes’ - my views on their criticism of how the developed world has tried to build democracies in failed and fragile states, how their opinions agree, how they differ.

Amy Chua and Paul Collier share some penetrating insights into the problems associated with the spread of democracy since the early 1990s in their respective works, ‘World on Fire’ and ‘War, Guns and Votes’. At the forefront of their analyses is the con
Chris
If I could give the book 3.5 stars I would. If you've read "Bottom Billion" (highly recommended), then I don't think you'll necessarily get much out of War, Guns, Votes. This time around Collier is more focused on the political economy of the bottom billion, but his analysis and recommendations echo Bottom Billion to a large degree.

The book has been successful in stirring up interesting blog post reviews, which I think do a good job explaining the good and the bad about the book:

1) Bill Easterly
Casey
I had relatively high hopes for this book (1.5). Needless to say, my expectations were not met. Collier's main argument in this book is that elections by themselves where not the solution to violence and civil war. Most of the book is spent discussing reasons for violence and some case examples.

Lastly, he presents his own solution that seems highly immature and impractical with the underlying assumption that everything will work out in the end if institutions can work. His "easy" solution could
Ed
I come not to praise Paul Collier and not really to bury him but to point out what I feel are some flaws in this very highly praised book. First of all it is too "popular" by half. He leaves out all of the research that went into his book; he describes some of the difficulties he and his indefatigable band of international Ph.D. candidates had in finding data and in constructing experiments that worked and then has a list of the original research he used. More method and less description of outc ...more
Al Khatib
While the book addresses many interesting themes based on extensive research, the books fails to address how these economies were divided and concurred for many years. The British regime was one that controlled a country for many years sucked its resources, left its people uneducated, handed the throne to a dictator and left a mess behind. The acts of colonization have caused a chaos in Africa.

Africa is made up of many tribes and to instill ethnicity and bais in the hearts of those people create
Nicholas Whyte

Wars, Guns and Votes is a lucidly written analysis of the effects and causes of democracy and good governance in the poorest countries of the world, whose inhabitants Collier describes in a previous book as "the bottom billion". Collier's findings are disturbing and provocative, but based on good hard research. He states that:
1. democratic poor countries are more at risk of violence than non-democratic poor countries (for rich countries, the opposite is
Luke
Interesting and wide ranging read. While many if not all of Paul Colliers findings seem and probably do fall in the bleedingly obvious section, Paul has the research and the evidence to make a case for why the policies and factors he outlines have the importance he suggests they do
Cory
Encompasses interesting research about the relationships between democracy, demographics, economics, and war in the 3rd world. Collier seems to really know his stuff in this space and does a good job at pointing out research done by others, and the flaws in his own work. I thought the most interesting conclusion from the book was that the likelihood of an outbreak in war can be accurately modeled based solely on the feasibility of war (availability of guns, mountainous regions to hide in, etc.). ...more
Sandy J
I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who gives a damn about poverty in Africa. Collier offers fascinating data that is used to tell an interesting story of the poverty traps described in his previous book 'The Bottom Billion'. Much of his thesis resonates with current events, the 2013 Zimbabwe election called for Robert Mugabe and ZANU PF is a case in point.

There are some irritations. Collier occasionally leaps to positions based on his belief in growth and not entirely substantiated b
Jonathan
I highly enjoy Collier's style of writing and the research he presents in his writing. I've never read one of the primary papers he references in this work or the Bottom Billion, but he referes to many studies he and colleagues have completed and published in the book.

This focuses on how policies could be enacted to improve stability and accountability in the poorest countries. There are many interesting findings that make this work worth reading, including that democracy is actually negatively
Phil
The Bottom Billion was great in bringing actual data into the study of the poor instead of hope or cynicism. Now, Collier goes into my primary interest, the juxtaposition of development, violence, and democracy. The truth is uglier than those who advocate military intervention to save the world want and also clearer than what isolationists hope for. Great book by a rare academic who jumps from hard statistical analysis and game theory to a running narrative of what the self-interested dictator o ...more
Доротея Ан
Electoral process means democracy? And if not, what means democracy whatsoever? Paul Collier tries to address such questions, and even when he fails sometimes to do so, he does make a point -at least, he motivates us to search more. Worthy a read.
Sam
Unless you are really interested in Post conflict/conflict countries and international development in them, this book can seem more than just a bit academic. The amount of proving and reproving could get boring for anyone who isnt really interested.
But if you are interested even remotely in this then pick it up. And pick it up yesterday. This book is a must have for those who wish to go into the field, and I feel that it may already be a text book for some classes.
Even though he sticks mainly wi
Tim
Are the world's poorest countries too big to be nations but too small to be states?

The explanation and analysis Mr Collier provides of the problems with democracy and accountability in the poorest countries is interesting and depressing albeit not terribly surprising. He dispassionately uses statistics to try to establish the common factors around civil wars and coups, with mildly depressing results.

His conclusions are interesting, but I'm not convinced by how practical his suggested solutions a
Ben
Collier's research is incredibly interesting and I wish he would take the time to cite more directly. His conclusions, however, literally couldn't be more colonial.
Margaret Sankey
The author of the Bottom Billion continues to analyze the hot spots of the world using economics and statistics to investigate such questions as why AK-47s are so cheap in Africa, how dictators use elections to perpetuate themselves AND aid donations, military spending unconsciously matches perceptions of dangerous neighbors, judging the efficacy of arms embargoes by studying the stock values of arms companies (hint: if they're making money, the embargo isn't working).
Jeff Youngblood
I expected more from this book based on a review from another reader. I suffered through it.
One star is much too generous.
Aliza
Lots of interesting ideas as Collier builds up his ideas from "Bottom Billion." He is not afraid to take an unpopular opinion (such as that European colonialism in Africa was not all bad news), but many of his proposed solutions include international interventionism on some scale. I would have been more interested in seeing solutions for Africa and the rest of the fragile states described that would promote change from within on a more sustainable level.
Paulo
Paul Collier shows us why the promises of elections by themselves where not the secret elixir to save the poor countries from constant violence and civil war. He goes on to identify what are the causes behind violence in the "bottom billion" and why easy solutions have failed in the past. In the end, though, he presents his own easy solution that seems as likely to work as all the ones that he analyzes in the book.
Rachel
I think I'm just not as big of fan of Collier's writing style. His arguments are based on a large amount of statistical research carried out in partnership with PhD candidates - definitely well entrenched academia. It may have helped to have first read his first book, The Bottom Billion. If you are interested in post conflict reconstruction or conflict prevention, this would be a great resource.
Christopher Gray
This was a great read after reading about the American revolution and superfreakonics. A lot of the dynamics that exist today mirror what was in place in early America, but the ability to make it work in today's developing world is drastically different. Collier's analysis and ideas are groundbreaking... They're just crazy enough to actually work.
Jodi
2013-01-04 -- I appreciated the lack of economic jargon in this book and found the explanation regarding how the research was conducted to be very interesting. It is easy to read for the lay person and a good introduction to recent events in various African countries. I will definitely look for more of his books in the future.
Sjo
A good follow up to Bottom Billion. Collier pulls global poverty through further and attempts to isolate the main causes with statistical evidence to back this up. While thought provoking, Collier at times takes interpretative liberty with the data.
Kate
Very interesting to read while working on all-things-Cote d'Ivoire. I found Collier's methodology to be the most interesting though. Everything was quantified, which makes sense for an economist. Can't wait for elections in Congo!
David Smith
Wasn't sure I liked this at first, but it grew on me in the middle, to the point where I thought it was an excellent read - would be very curious to hear Collier and Dambisa Moyo in a debate - if such a thing would be possible.
  • Damned Nations: Greed, Guns, Armies, and Aid
  • Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet
  • It's Our Turn to Eat
  • Dinner With Mugabe: The Untold Story Of A Freedom Fighter Who Became A Tyrant
  • Social Theory of International Politics
  • Saviors and Survivors: Darfur, Politics, and the War on Terror
  • Portfolios of the Poor: How the World's Poor Live on $2 a Day
  • Economic Gangsters: Corruption, Violence, and the Poverty of Nations
  • More Than Good Intentions: How a New Economics Is Helping to Solve Global Poverty
  • Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding a Fractured World
  • The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good
  • Terror and Consent : The Wars for the Twenty-First Century
  • Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe
  • The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
  • Famine Crimes: Politics and the Disaster Relief Industry in Africa
  • Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles
Paul Collier, CBE is a Professor of Economics, Director for the Centre for the Study of African Economies at the University of Oxford and Fellow of St Antony's College. He is the author of The Plundered Planet; Wars, Guns, and Votes; and The Bottom Billion, winner of Estoril Distinguished Book Prize, the Arthur Ross Book Award, and the Lionel Gelber Prize.

More about Paul Collier...
The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity Exodus: How Migration Is Changing Our World Breaking the Conflict Trap: Civil War and Development Policy Exodus: Immigration and Multiculturalism in the 21st Century