Start by marking “Toby, Where Are You?” as Want to Read:
Toby, Where Are You?

Toby, Where Are You?

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Toby loves hiding from his parents, but when he begins to think they will never find him, he just can't stand it.
Published April 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Toby, Where Are You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toby, Where Are You?

Dolly
Jan 03, 2015 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about playing hide and seek at bedtime. The narrative is good for reading with younger children, and they will love searching for Toby on each page. I knew that this book would likely be a bit too 'babyish' for our girls' tastes, but we have really liked William Steig's books, so I thought I'd check it out. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Josiah
Whenever William Steig delegates to another artist the illustrating work in any of his books, it seems that the chosen artist is tremendously capable of casting light upon the work of this great author.

Playing a game of Hide-and-Seek with his parents, Toby dashes from hiding spot to hiding spot throughout the house, always staying a few steps ahead of where his parents are searching. The illustrated scenes around the house and outside are surprisingly beautiful in some cases, nicely commending
Josiah
The copyright date for this book is 2004, so I guess that it was published posthumously.

Toby, Who Are You? has a terrific amount of natural charm to it, and the illustrations are no small part of that charm. Toby and his parents are a picture of sweetness and simplicity between a child and his parents, going on a picnic outdoors and playing little games the entire time, with Toby popping out of surprising hiding spots and pretending to be a new kind of animal each time.

This is a winsome story
Kyjafree
Toby pretends to be things and his parents have to guess what he is. on there last guess his parents asked if we get this one right will you go to sleep? so they guessed it right and he had to go to sleep. but before he did he pretended to be a scary monster.
Clarissa
This is great, but too small to read to a large group, alas!
Jeniann
Normally William Steig is a bit too weird for me, but this one was illustrated by someone else. It looks like there are a couple of versions of the illustrations. I love the illustrations in this book in particular where the little boy hides from his parents and they are looking for him and you can see him hiding someplace else. My two year old just loves this one. And this review is now probably longer than all of the text in the actual book. Ha!
Tricia
Why are these three books (Who are You, Where are You, What are You) showing up as different editions of one title? Strange. The books (all 3, despite what goodreads thinks) are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways.
Tricia
The books in this series are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways. In this one, you can look for clues as to where Toby is hiding.
Tricia
The books in Steig's "Toby" series are enjoyable. My own Toby loves how this Toby is able to trick his parents in such fun ways.
Jessica
A short book about a little mouse hiding from his mother and father. Could be usd to teach prediction for early readers.
KMC
This would be great for a "pretend" themed storytime. This is one of Steig's sweeter books for very young kids.
Rochelle
We've read it 100 times....it's not too good, but we bought it because the troublemaker's name is Toby!
Brittany
This book is great to read when talking about imagination and pretending.
Kara
Elanor
Elanor added it
Apr 20, 2015
BGCC
BGCC marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Charlene Leetun
Charlene Leetun marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Doctor De Soto Shrek! Abel's Island Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)