Start by marking “On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)” as Want to Read:
On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)

On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When the giant Millpond Company finds its plans for a mega-shopping mall stymied by the refusal of an elderly lesbian couple to sell their home, the ladies are subjected to ugly vandalism and frightening death threats. The powerful director of Millpond in turn hires Don Strachey, Albany's only gay detective, to protect the ladies, find the culprits, and clear the corporate ...more
Published July 2008 by MLR Press, LLC (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about On the Other Hand, Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Other Hand, Death

4,5 stars!

Started as a simple vandalism on the property of a lesbian couple the story turned into a murder case. I don't want to say more, not to give away too much. It is why to review the mystery books is not that easy. The best - you go there without knowing anything.
But it's the second book in the series and you have to know what you put yourselves into. IMO On the Other Hand, Death is even better than the first book.

My absolute highlight here is OF COURSE Donald Strachey.

If you like the st
Sean Kennedy
(3.5 / 5)

The mystery in the second Strachey book is more solid, but I'm still feeling distanced from the characters. Would love to know more backstory.

Also note, this ebook edition is just as badly formatted as the first. I don't know what MLR are doing here.
Solid entry in the Donald Strachey series with a nice mystery setup. The story starts out as a simple vandalism case-an elderly lesbian couple is being harrassed with homophobic slurs painted on their property. Purely coincidentally, we're sure, a developer wants to buyout the homeowners in the area to put up a shopping mall and the lesbian couple happens to be the only holdout. Just when you think-am I really about to read a two hundred page novel about vandalism and urban development?, the plo ...more
I don't know what it is about the end of summer, but that's when I find myself curling up with a mystery. The Strachey books are a perfect fit this time of year for me. The second book in the series has a good mystery that had me guessing a little and there's something really...endearing about a book set (and written) in the days before cell phones and internet searches.

Don and Timothy are one of my favorite fictional couples. Don is probably not the romantic ideal in a lot of ways, but that's
This is the second in the Don Strachey mysteries and we find our intrepid hired to find out who committed vandalism on an elderly lesbian couples home. A firm that is interested in purchasing the couples home hires Don to see who has been harassing the women.Also, two activists that has been guests at the women's home become targets when one is kidnapped.On the personal front, Tim wants Don (who can't keep it in his pants) to be more committed in their relationship. Monogomy would be the safest ...more
Interesting, a bit dated in its thinking, but fascinating to read. I vaguely remember the film version of this. On to #3
The new MLR Press editions, at least the ebook versions, have a disappointing number of typographical problems, both minor and major.
Though my feelings may be somewhat tainted by my love for Chad Allen (who plays Don in the movies) and my longing for this to come out on DVD, I have to say that this is one of my favorite Strachey books. The actual plot, what with the real estate deal and harassment, is not exactly original but is nonetheless solid. It's Don and Timmy, with their sarcasm and quick-witted relationship reminiscent of Hammett, that really entertain me. And this is book, after their relationship and characters are ...more
4.5 stars. Well crafted, tense and very funny mystery in Albany, NY in the late 70's/early 80's. Deft portrait of the gay community at that time.
Mar 24, 2009 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: fandom osmosis
The case in On The Other Hand Death is another case that will be later referenced in Tongue Tied, but unlike Death Trick, it fell a little flat - or rather the ending fell a flat and that emotional reward wasn't there.
Book two in the Donald Strachey Mystery series.

I didn't enjoy it quite as much as book one; there's a line between "cheerfully damaged" and "campily self-destructive," and Strachey was on the wrong side of it in this book. But the mystery was interesting, Timmy continues to be my gay fictional boyfriend, and I'm starting to develop just the tiniest bit of appreciation for Strachey's cop nemesis/collaborator, Bowman.

Next up (as soon as I can get back to the library) is Third Man Out, and I loo
Michael Reale
An excellent book by Richard Stevenson. I enjoy reading the Donald Strachey Mysteries.
loved this book. Now that Ive read two I guess I'll just have to read the rest . His second is even better than the first. All of the characters were very real for me because Ive known people just like them. When reading ( On the other hand ) I found myself in my own past and that's what a good writer should be capable of doing. I would recommend this to any one who likes a good detective story and likes gay people .
This is the second book of the series. In this Donald and Timothy are having relationship troubles, the mystery is twisted enough to keep you reading but it's the characters' relationships that makes you laugh, frown and smile.
3.5 stars. Good gay mystery in which Don's hired by a sly developer to find out who vandalized a lesbian couple's barn, in the hope that they'll be more willing to sell their property out of gratitude.
Mar 17, 2011 Blaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery lovers
Loved it!
Don isn't infallible, he isn't perfect, knows how to rub people the wrong way and he can get it wrong ... until he gets it right.
Great writing that just keeps you reading!
Fast, tense, highly atmospheric, & the dialogue really snaps. I love the Donald Strachey books.
Melinda Tate
Got into series via movies. See the movies, the language of the books is too dated.
Joe Scholes
Another good mystery and a quick satisfying read.
Dilo Keith
I love this series. No time to write a review...
Debbie added it
Nov 12, 2015
Pastel is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
Ja-paige marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Mother added it
Nov 19, 2015
Q&A with Josh Lanyon: Donald Strachey Challenge #2: On the Other Hand, Death 6 18 May 04, 2015 11:26AM
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • Goldenboy
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mysteries, #1-2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Deadly Mystery, #3)
  • Flight Dreams (Mark Manning Mystery, #1)
  • Three More Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #2)
  • Date with a Sheesha (A Russell Quant Mystery, #7)

Richard Stevenson is the pseudonym of Richard Lipez, the author of nine books, including the Don Strachey private eye series. The Strachey books are being filmed by here!, the first gay television network. Lipez also co-wrote Grand Scam with Peter Stein, and contributed to C
More about Richard Stevenson...

Donald Strachey (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)
  • Strachey's Folly (Donald Strachey, #7)
  • Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey, #8)
  • Death Vows (Donald Strachey, #9)
  • The 38 Million Dollar Smile (Donald Strachey, #10)
  • Cockeyed (Donald Strachey, #11)

“Someday I'll tell you stories about that man that will just curl your hair!"

I looked over at Greco's curly hair and wondered if he'd already heard them.”
“You're a gay detective? I don't think I've ever met one before."

"Of course you have," McWhirter put in emphatically. "You just didn't know they were gay. That's the whole point.”