Start by marking “The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience” as Want to Read:
The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience

The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience (The Goon TPB #9)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  383 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Multiple Eisner Award-winning creator of The Goon Eric Powell teams with acclaimed colorist Dave Stewart to bring this tale of humor, horror, and heartbreak to a close. Prepare for the usual weirdness, as only Powell and The Goon can provide: the living dead (children, priests, and pretty ladies), pretty living ladies, gypsies, backwoods children . . . "dogs" . . . crazy-w ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about The Goon, Volume 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goon, Volume 9

Sam Quixote
Oct 14, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
The Goon/Labrazio storyline comes to a fightin’ end with Mr Wicker and Labrazio teaming up to take down Goon and Franky while Buzzard takes the blinded Zombie Priest out to Horse-Eater’s Woods to a remote house guarded by a demon of hell where the corpse of a witch needs to be despatched for the dead to rest easy.

“Calamity of Conscience” has Eric Powell at his best combining taut storylines with masterful artwork to create an excellent book. I’m glad this storyline was dealt with in this book i
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Nov 27, 2010 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it it was amazing
This review won't be simply for this, volume nine in the series, but for the entire Goon series. Rest assured, the entire run deserves all five stars. The series defies comparison and description. The best statement that fits both qualifications that I ever ran into was (paraphrasing), "Sin City filtered through Popeye." Each volume is such a perfect mix of humor, horror, and drama that I could never before have imagined being done right. Volume 9 is supposedly the end of the series; but, with a ...more
Mike
Jul 01, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
What can I say what hasn't already been said - by me or by youse others who read this book series?

I can't get enough of the Goon - not just the humorous sidebars and exaggerated staging in the fight scenes, but the surprising pathos we see building in our hero.

I'm jumping right into book 10 next.
Gabriel Wallis
May 26, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The Goon: Calamity of Conscience (volume 9) was an entertaining read, not only because it was an Eric Powell graphic novel, but because of the writing and art. The storyline is a continuation of the previous Goon graphic novel, where the Goon claims war on Labrazio. An epic battle ensues between the Goon and Labrazio, which, supposedly, ends with Labrazio's death. The Buzzard also takes on a woky; the kids from The McGregg Home for the Illegitimate, Wayward, and Homicidal also add a new member t ...more
Jonathan Schildbach
Feb 03, 2015 Jonathan Schildbach rated it it was amazing
This is the stuff I love from 'The Goon'--even if it is rather involved with numerous backstories, along with multiple resurrected characters in various forms. It's the dark, disturbing vein of the comic with mob violence, monsters, lost love, vengeance, and the occult--although not necessarily in that order.
Erika
Dec 31, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Man, the Goon is just the worst with dames. The interesting thing about them is the fact that they leave but always come back. Come back to heap chaos, guilt, soul wrenching sadness, and show just how messed up Goon's life is. He should of chosen happiness. Everyone should of left that god forsaken town.
Christian
I'm running out of things to say about The Goon, 'cause every volume is a gorgeous mix of hard-boiled pulp and gross humor. Nobody draws like Eric Powell - people loom, monsters ooze, and there's a wicked character beneath everything.
Zombieaps
Mar 03, 2014 Zombieaps rated it liked it
The main arc is top notch, but the second tale weaves together by an assortment of artists lacks. All the art is amazing, but Powell is able to balance his crude humor with artful story telling in a way that the guests cannot.
Joe
May 29, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Another fantastic volume. Very dark, with a few lighthearted moments.A reviewer described this installment as "Sin City filtered through Popeye" and that just about nails it.
Orrin Grey
Mar 15, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I said it before, but it's true here as well: I like the Goon as well as the next guy, and the first few books are the top of the heap, but ever since Chinatown things haven't been the same, and I just don't feel like the Goon can really support this weighty narrative arc thing that it's been trying to do.

Powell's art is still good enough that I'll keep reading, and hopefully now that the "Return of Labrazio" storyline is done things will pick back up, but these last few volumes have been let-do
Rachel
May 05, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this volume since I enjoyed the other 8 so much, but I found this one very underwhelming. There are 3 stories going on at the same time, yet not much happens. It felt like there were a lot of fluff panels (action with no impact on the story). I literally flipped through it in 20 minutes because the dialog was so sparse, and not in a "wow the images tell the story" kind of way. I feel that 9 volumes in, there should also be a little summary or "The story so far..." because ...more
Jarlos
Aug 08, 2011 Jarlos rated it really liked it
considering how flat out BRILLIANT volumes 7 and 8 were, this last volume of the Return of Labrazio saga was....a bit underwhelming. the story moved a head at a faster pace, dramatic moments were quick and emotionally/dramatically rushed, and the ending/wrap up was arbitrarilly started and wrapped up too quickly. it still held a great amount of eeriness and modern mythology, but it got the sense that Powell was kind of over telling this story and wanted to move on to a less epic, more classic Go ...more
Jen
Jan 27, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Wonderfully unsuitable for anyone. Everyone should read it!
Arlomisty
Dec 14, 2013 Arlomisty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was Ok... wasn't too impressed by the storyline... I picked it up at the library and was just curious... I kind of like the art style, but the problem was I needed to read the previous books to figure out what was going on. I didn't realize that this was volume 9...I will probably try and pick up the first couple volumes to see if I like it any better.
Brad
Feb 20, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Powell's artwork is consistently amazing, but I don't have much to say about the Labrazio storyline covering volumes 7 through 9 of The Goon. It feels like Powell wanted to take another whack at characters he introduced earlier in the book when his storytelling wasn't quite as polished, but was much funnier.
Belinda
Sep 25, 2012 Belinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really enjoyed this--very twisted, funny and oddly touching. Great old school vibe. This is the third part of a trilogy and I have not gotten the others but I enjoyed this anyway.
Sean
Feb 02, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing
I simply love the Goon. While many series can become tiresome to me after five or six volumes, the Goon is always hilarious and emotional. I always want more!!!
Geoff Derks
Sep 21, 2012 Geoff Derks rated it it was amazing
With Volume 8 (Those That Be Damned) falling just below my expectations, Volume 9 hits it out of the park. Eric Powell's best writing since Chinatown!
James
Oct 07, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Powell is the only Writer/Artist to increase in quality that is already at the top of any book.
David
Oct 31, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Story 4,5/5 Art 5/5 Spolu s Volume 8 najlepšie zo série....
John
Dec 18, 2013 John rated it really liked it
More goon-ish-ness. Mayhem and madness and messiness.
Alex Sanchez Ballestin
Alex Sanchez Ballestin marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Josiah Appert
Josiah Appert rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Cedgau
Cedgau rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2016
Galen
Galen rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Mar 31, 2016
Francorum Martinezku
Francorum Martinezku marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Michael Goba
Michael Goba marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Guylanda Mayer
Guylanda Mayer rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)
  • Northlanders, Vol. 4: The Plague Widow
  • The Boys, Volume 7: The Innocents
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 2: Bad Guy Earth
  • Supergod
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • Crossed, Vol. 5
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 1: The Guardian of the Temple
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Crossed: Wish You Were Here, Volume 1
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find
More about Eric Powell...

The Goon TPB (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Rough Stuff (The Goon TPB #0)
  • The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination