The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience

The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience (The Goon TPB #9)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Multiple Eisner Award-winning creator of The Goon Eric Powell teams with acclaimed colorist Dave Stewart to bring this tale of humor, horror, and heartbreak to a close. Prepare for the usual weirdness, as only Powell and The Goon can provide: the living dead (children, priests, and pretty ladies), pretty living ladies, gypsies, backwoods children . . . "dogs" . . . crazy-w...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Dark Horse Books

Sam Quixote
The Goon/Labrazio storyline comes to a fightin’ end with Mr Wicker and Labrazio teaming up to take down Goon and Franky while Buzzard takes the blinded Zombie Priest out to Horse-Eater’s Woods to a remote house guarded by a demon of hell where the corpse of a witch needs to be despatched for the dead to rest easy.

“Calamity of Conscience” has Eric Powell at his best combining taut storylines with masterful artwork to create an excellent book. I’m glad this storyline was dealt with in this book i...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
This review won't be simply for this, volume nine in the series, but for the entire Goon series. Rest assured, the entire run deserves all five stars. The series defies comparison and description. The best statement that fits both qualifications that I ever ran into was (paraphrasing), "Sin City filtered through Popeye." Each volume is such a perfect mix of humor, horror, and drama that I could never before have imagined being done right. Volume 9 is supposedly the end of the series; but, with a...more
Mike
What can I say what hasn't already been said - by me or by youse others who read this book series?

I can't get enough of the Goon - not just the humorous sidebars and exaggerated staging in the fight scenes, but the surprising pathos we see building in our hero.

I'm jumping right into book 10 next.
Gabriel Wallis
The Goon: Calamity of Conscience (volume 9) was an entertaining read, not only because it was an Eric Powell graphic novel, but because of the writing and art. The storyline is a continuation of the previous Goon graphic novel, where the Goon claims war on Labrazio. An epic battle ensues between the Goon and Labrazio, which, supposedly, ends with Labrazio's death. The Buzzard also takes on a woky; the kids from The McGregg Home for the Illegitimate, Wayward, and Homicidal also add a new member t...more
Zombieaps
The main arc is top notch, but the second tale weaves together by an assortment of artists lacks. All the art is amazing, but Powell is able to balance his crude humor with artful story telling in a way that the guests cannot.
Joe
Another fantastic volume. Very dark, with a few lighthearted moments.A reviewer described this installment as "Sin City filtered through Popeye" and that just about nails it.
Orrin Grey
I said it before, but it's true here as well: I like the Goon as well as the next guy, and the first few books are the top of the heap, but ever since Chinatown things haven't been the same, and I just don't feel like the Goon can really support this weighty narrative arc thing that it's been trying to do.

Powell's art is still good enough that I'll keep reading, and hopefully now that the "Return of Labrazio" storyline is done things will pick back up, but these last few volumes have been let-do...more
Rachel Searcey
I really wanted to like this volume since I enjoyed the other 8 so much, but I found this one very underwhelming. There are 3 stories going on at the same time, yet not much happens. It felt like there were a lot of fluff panels (action with no impact on the story). I literally flipped through it in 20 minutes because the dialog was so sparse, and not in a "wow the images tell the story" kind of way. I feel that 9 volumes in, there should also be a little summary or "The story so far..." because...more
Jarlos
considering how flat out BRILLIANT volumes 7 and 8 were, this last volume of the Return of Labrazio saga was....a bit underwhelming. the story moved a head at a faster pace, dramatic moments were quick and emotionally/dramatically rushed, and the ending/wrap up was arbitrarilly started and wrapped up too quickly. it still held a great amount of eeriness and modern mythology, but it got the sense that Powell was kind of over telling this story and wanted to move on to a less epic, more classic Go...more
Arlomisty
This was Ok... wasn't too impressed by the storyline... I picked it up at the library and was just curious... I kind of like the art style, but the problem was I needed to read the previous books to figure out what was going on. I didn't realize that this was volume 9...I will probably try and pick up the first couple volumes to see if I like it any better.
Brad
Feb 20, 2010 Brad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Powell's artwork is consistently amazing, but I don't have much to say about the Labrazio storyline covering volumes 7 through 9 of The Goon. It feels like Powell wanted to take another whack at characters he introduced earlier in the book when his storytelling wasn't quite as polished, but was much funnier.
Belinda
Really enjoyed this--very twisted, funny and oddly touching. Great old school vibe. This is the third part of a trilogy and I have not gotten the others but I enjoyed this anyway.
Sean
I simply love the Goon. While many series can become tiresome to me after five or six volumes, the Goon is always hilarious and emotional. I always want more!!!
Geoff Derks
With Volume 8 (Those That Be Damned) falling just below my expectations, Volume 9 hits it out of the park. Eric Powell's best writing since Chinatown!
James
Powell is the only Writer/Artist to increase in quality that is already at the top of any book.
David
Story 4,5/5 Art 5/5 Spolu s Volume 8 najlepšie zo série....
John
More goon-ish-ness. Mayhem and madness and messiness.
Paulius
Paulius marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Goon: Noir
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • Northlanders Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I
  • Supergod
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find...more
More about Eric Powell...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3 Nothin' but Misery (The Goon TPB #1) Rough Stuff (The Goon TPB #0) My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns) (The Goon TPB #2) Heaps of Ruination (The Goon #3)