Start by marking “Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills” as Want to Read:
Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills

Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills

"I used to think math was no fun
'Cause I couldn't see how it was done
Now Euler's my hero
For I now see why zero
Equals e[pi] i+1"
--Paul Nahin, electrical engineer

In the mid-eighteenth century, Swiss-born mathematician Leonhard Euler developed a formula so innovative and complex that it continues to inspire research, discussion, and even the occasional limerick. "Dr. Euler's
Published April 30th 2006 by Princeton University Press (first published April 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula

Chayan Ghosh
Oct 19, 2016 Chayan Ghosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having just finished this, may be I am too overwhelmed and brain-fucked to immediately judge the book, still I've got to say, this read was a treat to my soul.

This was a great homage to the ever so legendary Euler. The author did a tremendous job doing extensive research and putting together magnificent jewels from various fields of mathematics, physics and engineering, and all revolving around the one Fabulous Formula. I cannot imagine a book on applied mathematics getting any better than this.
Geoff
Jun 12, 2012 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-math
Fantastic book. In no way is this a book for the layman, but so long as you have finished calculus, know a fair amount of linear algebra, and are willing to work as you read and actually absorb the material, you can get an amazing amount of understanding from the book. It deals largely with the applications of Euler's Identity, so most people in math sciences will be able to gain some amount of understanding from it. However, there aren't many pure mathematical sections in it, minus the first an ...more
Victoria
Sep 12, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit: I didn't read the chapter on electronics and could not understand most of the Fourier integrals...
Julian
May 01, 2013 Julian rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Engineers
Shelves: mathematics
It's not that engineers shouldn't write books about mathematics, but there should be a disclaimer on the cover, and I should never read them. Actually, in the preface, when the author made a stereotypically engineer-ish remark about the artistic merits of Norman Rockwell over Jackson Pollock, I put the book down and did not pick it up again for months. I should have left it so.

I'm not sure who this book is aimed at, because it sits in an odd place; there's some interesting material in it, but I
Jan 08, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: math-science
I picked this one up thinking it would be a math history book (and because it had a great cover!), but it turned out to be more of a math book. Which would have been fine if I had ever taken advanced number theory or electrical engineering courses, but I hadn't. Still, I broke out my calculus textbook and followed along as best I could. Probably absorbed 60% of it. When writing prose instead of formulas, the author is witty and engaging. I'd like to read a pure history of math book by him.
Alex Borghgraef
Sep 16, 2014 Alex Borghgraef rated it really liked it
Less playful and anecdotal than the title suggests, though the 'life of Euler' bit at the end and the historical references throughout the book fit that bill. But this is basically a solid math book on complex numbers, Fourier analysis and a bit of electronics, which may deter many readers expecting math history.
Ninad Wagle
Aug 31, 2007 Ninad Wagle marked it as to-read
A 400-page book on "the greatest equation ever," i.e. the so-called Euler's Identity (e^i*pi = 1 = 0). This I must read (or at least try to). Maybe I'll buy it on eBay after I return from my holiday.
Steve
Sep 05, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
OK, I love reading math books and I love Euler but this one was brutal. Very complex; very detailed and not easy to follow unless you are currently or just finished a math degree.
I probably followed 30% of the derivations but it was interesting when I could follow.
Euler was a god.
Nicolas Tupégabet
Dec 27, 2014 Nicolas Tupégabet rated it it was ok
very technical and you rarely understand the aim...
Ken Macintosh
May 12, 2012 Ken Macintosh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Ya need to know a little math, but super awesome. Euler must of been an incredible intellect!
Joao Vaz
Aug 10, 2014 Joao Vaz rated it it was ok
Hon!, I know little of, and pay no interest to, electrical engineering. Not quite what I was expecting!
Erickson
Jul 03, 2012 Erickson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Many interesting ideas pertaining fourier theory and also the use of complex exponential forms. Will touch this again once advanced maths is mastered.
James Duane Nickel
James Duane Nickel rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Jessica Tjalsma
Jessica Tjalsma rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2007
August Sonne
August Sonne rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2013
Paul Pseudo-Expert
Paul Pseudo-Expert rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Kushal
Kushal rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Mike Augustine
Mike Augustine rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Alex Pavellas
Alex Pavellas rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Ntesla
Ntesla rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
daniel jackson
daniel jackson rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2013
Rexistopheles
Rexistopheles rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2010
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Derek O'Connor
Derek O'Connor rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2008
 Дарья
Дарья rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2017
Abdullah Khan
Abdullah Khan rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Drew Vonada-Smith
Drew Vonada-Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gamma: Exploring Euler's Constant
  • To Infinity and Beyond: A Cultural History of the Infinite
  • Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra
  • Euler's Gem: The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology
  • The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry
  • Group Theory in the Bedroom, and Other Mathematical Diversions
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • Concepts of Modern Mathematics
  • Mathematical Mysteries: The Beauty and Magic of Numbers
  • Euler
  • A Brief History of Infinity
  • The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless
  • Four Colors Suffice: How the Map Problem Was Solved
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Q.E.D.: Beauty in Mathematical Proof (Wooden Books)
  • How Round Is Your Circle?: Where Engineering and Mathematics Meet
  • Coincidences, Chaos, and All That Math Jazz: Making Light of Weighty Ideas
  • The Book of Numbers: The Secret of Numbers and How They Changed the World
Paul J. Nahin is professor emeritus of electrical engineering at the University of New Hampshire and the author of many best-selling popular math books, including The Logician and the Engineer and Will You Be Alive 10 Years from Now? (both Princeton).
More about Paul J. Nahin...