Start by marking “How Do You Wokka-Wokka?” as Want to Read:
How Do You Wokka-Wokka?

How Do You Wokka-Wokka?

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Say "HEY!" to your neighbors and get your dance on! Jazzy rhythms, silly rhymes, and welcoming images are guaranteed to entice little readers.

Some days you wake up and you just gotta wokka. Wokka what? Wokka-wokka! It’s about movement. It’s about dance. It’s about shimmy-shakin’, be-boppin’, and more! It’s about gathering friends and joining the party. The creative team be
Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about How Do You Wokka-Wokka?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do You Wokka-Wokka?

Blue on Blue by Dianne WhiteZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamGrandfather Gandhi by Arun GandhiInfinity and Me by Kate HosfordLast Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena
VCFA Picture Books
153rd out of 167 books — 8 voters
Flora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMax by Rachel IsadoraLong Powwow Nights by David BouchardFootwork by Roxane OrgillChasing Degas by Eva Montanari
Picture Books About Dance
85th out of 107 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm taking this back to the library before my kids ask me to read it again. This was one of those books my kids enjoyed (so praise for that and only that) but I am still rating 1 star. This was terrible to read aloud. It was awkward and annoying. I really do not care if the entire thing was supposed to be a poem, to me it sounded like baby talk, as though the author wrote it in a few minutes flat and figured, that's good enough. Well, having fun with words is great but this did not work at all.
Amy Musser
Warning: This is NOT a story for bedtime! It will induce jumping, dancing, wiggling, but not sleep. It’s also one you might want to practice a couple of times before reading it for an audience. Each child in the book has their own particular way of wokka-wokka-ing. It has a great, but subtle message: “Nobody wokkas in the same wokka way.” Cecil’s illustrations are full of movement and color, and Bluemle’s rhythmic rap-like verse will make everyone want to wokka-wokka.

Full Review Picture-Book-a-
How Do You Wokka-Wokka? is a rhythmic picture book which follows children in the inner city who do a dance called the wokka-wokka. Every child wokka-wokkas differently as they dance through the city. The author makes up many words such as croakie-yocka and pinky-hoppa-hoppa to describe dance moves that the children create.

Randy Cecil's illustrations throughout the book are fun and represent the diversity of an inner city. I particularly liked all of the different colors he used for different chi
This title should be full of fun and rhythm. The main character finds his wokka-wokka and encourages those around them to find their own style as well. The artwork was okay -- I wish it were a bit more vivid to match the fun feel of the book.

The words and rhythm need work though. Definitely practice this one before reading it to a group. Recommended, with reservations, for the preschool set.
Jennifer Heise
This fun picture book engaged my six year old's imagination and tickled his fancy for rhyming and made up words. According to the back flap, the story is based on a two-year-old the author knew, who went around asking older people, "How do you wokka-wokka?" and since nobody knew what he meant by that, they took to responding with creative dance moves.

This would be a fun book to introduce a classroom dance party, or in fact any other activity of different types of movement, such as "You are a Lio
My two-and-a-half-year-old loves reading this at bedtime!
Genre: Poetry

Review:Publishers Weekly
"Some days you wake up/ and you just gotta wokka" says the upbeat narrator of this infectious rhyme. As the boy dances along, he and a growing entourage ask neighboring children the recurring question, "How do you wokka-wokka?" and the kids demonstrate their distinctive walks: "I wokka-wokka/ like flamingos/ in a flocka-/ croakie-yocka/ leggy-longy/ pinky-hoppa-hoppa." Cecil's cheerful city dwellers ride skateboards, play hopscotch and eat cotton candy, while
Denice Hein
I loved this story. I see it being used in a elementary music room or classroom to supplement music. It is within an urban setting so a real rural school could study more of the pictures to see the different culture of the inner city. But the rhythm of the story also shows a culture rich in the music of life and the bass in the music. I enjoyed it a lot and think kids would go crazy for it.
This book is too cute! Sing-songy, it gets you up and moving, smiling and laughing. 'Some days you wake up and you just gotta wokka - Say "HEY" to your neighbors up and down the blocka...'. Fun all around!
How do I Wokka-Wokka? The short answer is, I don't. And won't. And won't read this book again.
Great book for sounds and rhythms for story time.
LOVE this book. Very funny and beautifully illustrated.
Tim Snell
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2009

Could somebody please answer a question; "how do you Wokka-Wokka?" Anyone? Anyone at all? Hmmph...don't know? Well, I guess you'll just have to read this book if you want to find out!

"How Do You Wokka-Wokka?" is a great little poem that uses illustrations and funny words to help liven and enrich the title question, "how do you wokka-wokka?" This is a great poem that shows human diversity and teaches us that no matter how we "wokka-wokka", we are all able to "wokka-wok
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for:
K-5, code breaking
How do you wokka-wokka? I loved the title and was curious to find out what wokka-wokka meant! Young readers will love the silly rhyming and different ways the author describes kids wokka-wokka in their socka-socka! I also like the message that some kids wokka-wokka in their own way and just have fun and be a little silly with your friends.
Students will see all different nonsense words that they will need to decode and make meaning
When I used this title for a storytime, I had a number of confused parent faces staring back at me. Hey, you live and learn, right...maybe not an option for the future? That being said, I enjoyed it and the children seemed to as does fall of the tongue a bit awkwardly here and there. Still, the illustrations are fun and show kids in the city doing the wokka-wokka...which I take to be a walk with attitude, a fun dance of life. Wokka-wokka!
Oct 16, 2009 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents and Educators of preschool-kindergarten age children
Excellent for reading aloud, HOW DO YOU WOKKA-WOKKA? shares the differences in how people "wokka". The sing-song rhythm and silly words will be a delight to young children. I loved reading how the author, Elizabeth Bluemle, came up with this story, based on a question posed by her two year old nephew. The illustrations by Randy Cecil complement the story perfectly.
Ariel Cummins
Fun little sound poem about living in a city and wokka-wokka-ing every which way.

Cute illustrations mostly depict slightly silly looking kids (weird perspectives happening here!)

If you can read this with aplomb, I think kids would really really enjoy it! For trying with preschoolers or even toddlers who like to get up and wiggle while you read!
I really wanted to love this book. It looked like a very interactive read full of lots of diverse kids. (Points deducted for the mariachi thing though.) But I kept getting the flow all wrong in the middle of the book. It requires more practice to read than I feel like should be necessary. I like the Wokka-Wokka refrain, the message, and the illustrations.
read this to first and even second graders- they were all dancing, acting out the movements in the book, and coming up with funny rhyming words. Even my grownup roommate was kind of grooving on it (he wouldn't admit it, but i could tell). i read it sort of like a rap, and i thought the words flowed smoothly and catchy as hell.
This book is about everyone having their own dance styles! I think this book would be great for children in K-2. I think this would be a fun way to get the children moving. I could use this in my classroom for music class, this would be a fun way to get their wiggles out and show us their favorite dance move!
The Library Lady
Will someone please tell me why the one and only Latino looking character's rhythm has to be that of a mariachi band sort of sound.
And while the rhythms of the movements are great, the rhythms of the narrating text are awkward.

Nice try. Needed more editing and a different illustrator.
This is a book about being different, but in a less controversial way. We are different in most everything we do. This is a fun way to show it. We could talk about things that kids in the class do differently. This also has a lot of invented words. Great for a text set of invented words.
the girls liked hearing this one over and over. it's silly rhymes that have a sort of street beat or rap sound to them so some of it was hard for elisa to understand, but i think she was getting it after about the 10th reading. plus, you can sort of do dance moves to it. :)
I wanted to like this book about making your own music, and dancing to your own beat, but it really didn't work for me. Maybe it needs to be read aloud with just the right kind of accent, but I can't work it out.
Melinda Garman
Students will have to make meaning out of these fun nonsense words. Written in a lyrical fashion, this book would be fun for Pre-K through 2nd grade. Help students learn how to decode and change the meaning of words.
This is the first book my daughter has memorized--it has become a game we play when we're walking down the street or waiting for the bus. It's rhythmic and fun to read, and the pictures are great to.
The first few pages I found hard to read until I got my groove on...then I had a fun time reading this book. It had a nice tempo with fun word combinations. I can see reading this again.
Themes: rhythm, rhyme, song, dance, movement, sounds, moving through the day,

Uses: storytime - but not by me, not enough rhythm. Illustrator did "We've All Got Bellybuttons"
I enjoyed the play on words an the kids talking about all the different ways they walk. Most of all I think I enjoy seeing all the kids being outside and active!
  • Brontorina
  • Stretch
  • Stick!
  • Faster! Faster!
  • Aw, Nuts!
Elizabeth Bluemle was born in Arizona and has since lived in Los Angeles, Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, and New York City. She has been an assistant to a television writer/producer, editor of a small press, creative director for a book packaging company, production manager for a literacy press, a volunteer literacy tutor, an elementary school teacher, and a school librarian. She has a master's ...more
More about Elizabeth Bluemle...
Tap Tap Boom Boom My Father the Dog Dogs on the Bed