How Do You Wokka-Wokka?

How Do You Wokka-Wokka?

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Say "HEY!" to your neighbors and get your dance on! Jazzy rhythms, silly rhymes, and welcoming images are guaranteed to entice little readers.

Some days you wake up and you just gotta wokka. Wokka what? Wokka-wokka! It’s about movement. It’s about dance. It’s about shimmy-shakin’, be-boppin’, and more! It’s about gathering friends and joining the party. The creative team be...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press

Kathryn
I'm taking this back to the library before my kids ask me to read it again. This was one of those books my kids enjoyed (so praise for that and only that) but I am still rating 1 star. This was terrible to read aloud. It was awkward and annoying. I really do not care if the entire thing was supposed to be a poem, to me it sounded like baby talk, as though the author wrote it in a few minutes flat and figured, that's good enough. Well, having fun with words is great but this did not work at all.
This title should be full of fun and rhythm. The main character finds his wokka-wokka and encourages those around them to find their own style as well. The artwork was okay -- I wish it were a bit more vivid to match the fun feel of the book.

The words and rhythm need work though. Definitely practice this one before reading it to a group. Recommended, with reservations, for the preschool set.
Melissa
Genre: Poetry

Review:Publishers Weekly
"Some days you wake up/ and you just gotta wokka" says the upbeat narrator of this infectious rhyme. As the boy dances along, he and a growing entourage ask neighboring children the recurring question, "How do you wokka-wokka?" and the kids demonstrate their distinctive walks: "I wokka-wokka/ like flamingos/ in a flocka-/ croakie-yocka/ leggy-longy/ pinky-hoppa-hoppa." Cecil's cheerful city dwellers ride skateboards, play hopscotch and eat cotton candy, while...more
Amy Musser
Warning: This is NOT a story for bedtime! It will induce jumping, dancing, wiggling, but not sleep. It’s also one you might want to practice a couple of times before reading it for an audience. Each child in the book has their own particular way of wokka-wokka-ing. It has a great, but subtle message: “Nobody wokkas in the same wokka way.” Cecil’s illustrations are full of movement and color, and Bluemle’s rhythmic rap-like verse will make everyone want to wokka-wokka.

Full Review Picture-Book-a-...more
Stephanie
Great book for sounds and rhythms for story time.
Tim Snell
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2009

Could somebody please answer a question; "how do you Wokka-Wokka?" Anyone? Anyone at all? Hmmph...don't know? Well, I guess you'll just have to read this book if you want to find out!

"How Do You Wokka-Wokka?" is a great little poem that uses illustrations and funny words to help liven and enrich the title question, "how do you wokka-wokka?" This is a great poem that shows human diversity and teaches us that no matter how we "wokka-wokka", we are all able to "wokka-wok...more
Helen Kumpel
Who this book would be for:
K-5, code breaking
Reflection:
How do you wokka-wokka? I loved the title and was curious to find out what wokka-wokka meant! Young readers will love the silly rhyming and different ways the author describes kids wokka-wokka in their socka-socka! I also like the message that some kids wokka-wokka in their own way and just have fun and be a little silly with your friends.
Students will see all different nonsense words that they will need to decode and make meaning
Tricia
When I used this title for a storytime, I had a number of confused parent faces staring back at me. Hey, you live and learn, right...maybe not an option for the future? That being said, I enjoyed it and the children seemed to as well...it does fall of the tongue a bit awkwardly here and there. Still, the illustrations are fun and show kids in the city doing the wokka-wokka...which I take to be a walk with attitude, a fun dance of life. Wokka-wokka!
Amy
Oct 16, 2009 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents and Educators of preschool-kindergarten age children
Excellent for reading aloud, HOW DO YOU WOKKA-WOKKA? shares the differences in how people "wokka". The sing-song rhythm and silly words will be a delight to young children. I loved reading how the author, Elizabeth Bluemle, came up with this story, based on a question posed by her two year old nephew. The illustrations by Randy Cecil complement the story perfectly.
Ariel Cummins
Fun little sound poem about living in a city and wokka-wokka-ing every which way.

Cute illustrations mostly depict slightly silly looking kids (weird perspectives happening here!)

If you can read this with aplomb, I think kids would really really enjoy it! For trying with preschoolers or even toddlers who like to get up and wiggle while you read!
Lizzie
I really wanted to love this book. It looked like a very interactive read full of lots of diverse kids. (Points deducted for the mariachi thing though.) But I kept getting the flow all wrong in the middle of the book. It requires more practice to read than I feel like should be necessary. I like the Wokka-Wokka refrain, the message, and the illustrations.
Hilary
read this to first and even second graders- they were all dancing, acting out the movements in the book, and coming up with funny rhyming words. Even my grownup roommate was kind of grooving on it (he wouldn't admit it, but i could tell). i read it sort of like a rap, and i thought the words flowed smoothly and catchy as hell.
Lauren
This book is about everyone having their own dance styles! I think this book would be great for children in K-2. I think this would be a fun way to get the children moving. I could use this in my classroom for music class, this would be a fun way to get their wiggles out and show us their favorite dance move!
The Library Lady
Will someone please tell me why the one and only Latino looking character's rhythm has to be that of a mariachi band sort of sound.
And while the rhythms of the movements are great, the rhythms of the narrating text are awkward.

Nice try. Needed more editing and a different illustrator.
Jamie
This is a book about being different, but in a less controversial way. We are different in most everything we do. This is a fun way to show it. We could talk about things that kids in the class do differently. This also has a lot of invented words. Great for a text set of invented words.
Colleen
the girls liked hearing this one over and over. it's silly rhymes that have a sort of street beat or rap sound to them so some of it was hard for elisa to understand, but i think she was getting it after about the 10th reading. plus, you can sort of do dance moves to it. :)
I wanted to like this book about making your own music, and dancing to your own beat, but it really didn't work for me. Maybe it needs to be read aloud with just the right kind of accent, but I can't work it out.
Melinda Garman
Students will have to make meaning out of these fun nonsense words. Written in a lyrical fashion, this book would be fun for Pre-K through 2nd grade. Help students learn how to decode and change the meaning of words.
This is the first book my daughter has memorized--it has become a game we play when we're walking down the street or waiting for the bus. It's rhythmic and fun to read, and the pictures are great to.
S.K.
The first few pages I found hard to read until I got my groove on...then I had a fun time reading this book. It had a nice tempo with fun word combinations. I can see reading this again.
Elizabeth
Themes: rhythm, rhyme, song, dance, movement, sounds, moving through the day,

Uses: storytime - but not by me, not enough rhythm. Illustrator did "We've All Got Bellybuttons"
Maria
I enjoyed the play on words an the kids talking about all the different ways they walk. Most of all I think I enjoy seeing all the kids being outside and active!
Anna
I really liked the illustrations in the book. And I always like books that have a good rhythm. It's a cute book about how each of us may dance to a different tune.
Rebekah Jones
I think this book would be a great read aloud where you could integrate movement. Students would love to do their own wokka. The book has a fun theme to it.
Leila T.
This is goofy and fun, but it's only when I started reading it in an Australian accent, rather than attempting a rap (of any variety), that I found a rhythm.
Chrystal
This has a fun rhythm when read out loud. My girls weren't enthralled by it though - it was only chosen to read once the whole 3 weeks we had it.
Christine Turner
A young boy who likes to "wokka-wokka, shimmy-shake, and shocka-shocka" gathers his neighbors together for a surprise celebration. www.hcpl.net
Susan P
This is getting great reviews. I don't love it, but it might be cute for storytime once you practice the text several times first.
Megan
This would be a fun book to read for a story time. Let the kids stand up and demonstrate each Wokka-Wokka and then make up their own.
Kim
kids in the neighborhoos "wokka- wokka" or come up with their own kind of dance. Lots of different sounds - good for storytime
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Brontorina
  • Stick!
  • Put It On the List!
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • 123 versus ABC
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Trashy Town
  • Goal!
  • No Bears
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Belle, The Last Mule at Gee's Bend: A Civil Rights Story
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
Elizabeth Bluemle was born in Arizona and has since lived in Los Angeles, Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, and New York City. She has been an assistant to a television writer/producer, editor of a small press, creative director for a book packaging company, production manager for a literacy press, a volunteer literacy tutor, an elementary school teacher, and a school librarian. She has a master's...more
More about Elizabeth Bluemle...
Tap Tap Boom Boom My Father the Dog Dogs on the Bed