Start by marking “Reagan's Secret War: The Untold Story of His Fight to Save the World from Nuclear Disaster” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews
On February 6, 1981, at his first National Security Council meeting, Ronald Reagan told his advisers: “I will make the decisions.” As Reagan’s Secret War reveals, these words provide the touchstone for understanding the extraordinary accomplishments of the Reagan administration, including the decisive events that led to the end of the Cold War.

In penning this book, New Yo
Published June 2nd 2009 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reagan's Secret War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reagan's Secret War

Mara
To be likened to Reagan, it would seem, is the ultimate compliment in many a Right wing circle. Don’t believe me? Just the other day Rand Paul and Ted Cruz were squabbling over claims of Reagan-ry. Rand Paul replied to queries regarding this matter:
“I don’t claim to be the next Ronald Reagan nor do I attempt to disparage fellow Republicans as not being sufficiently Reaganesque.”

The fact that these circles aren't exactly my cup of tea is neither here nor there, I just wanted to get a better und
Gary
Much of this book comes from Reagan's own diaries. An interesting glimpse into what he was thinking during the last years of the cold war. Liberals refuse to credit him for his contribution to the peaceful end of the cold war. I'm not sure why. An amazing man that we, as a nation, owe much.
Richard Lim
Reagan’s Secret War is a unique behind-the-scenes look into President Reagan’s dream to eliminate nuclear weapons. Most modern-day readers (both liberal and conservative) will be surprised to learn that Reagan was a nuclear abolitionist and a much more sophisticated thinker on defense and national security issues than he is portrayed. Throughout his political career, Reagan was portrayed by opponents, especially the Freeze Movement, as a war-mongering madman ready to start war with the Soviets. ...more
Paul Lunger
Martin & Annelise Anderson's book regarding Ronald Reagan's quest to end nuclear war forever is not a bad book in theory. The book itself is well intentioned & the excerpts from Reagan's personal diary & speeches aren't a bad thing although at times they get in the way of the importance of the history behind what Reagan did in ending the Cold War through 4 different Soviet premiers. Where the book goes astray is in formatting & typeface. All the excepts from Reagan are in gray bo ...more
Val Crofts

This was a very interesting look at Pres. Reagan and his struggle to rid the world of nuclear weapons...also his meetings with Soviet premier Gorbachev and others are detailed here..Pres. Reagan was an amazing man with a vision for our nation that never swayed...he deserves a lot of credit for ending the Cold War and for energizing our Economy
and our military...his 8 years were some of the best we had in the 20th century....
Lilo
Jun 09, 2013 Lilo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody who is interested in what happens behind the curtains in Washington
The contents of this book are very, very interesting. The lay-out and the print could be better. Therefore the book is a bit unpleasant to read. The reason I did not finish reading this book is a trivial one: This book has ruggedly cut edges. I hate it when I have trouble turning pages.
Matthew
Reagan's Secret War is written by a very sympathetic set of authors, and it is apparent that part of their objective in writing this book is to respond to criticism often leveled at Reagan. I would rather have had a more impartial look at these events. However, as one with limited knowledge of this aspect of Reagan's presidency, I benefited from the detailed progression through each development and the personal accounts, especially Reagan's own journal excerpts and correspondence (though there i ...more
Sky
The disappointing part about this book being so horrible is that with the access that the author had to personal Reagan documents it had the potential to be very, very good.

Unfortunately, this is a completely one-sided hagiography about Reagan that completely ignores any of the complexities that surrounded his presidency and the era. You are much better off reading 'The Dead Hand.'

What I had really hoped to get out of this book was a clearer understanding of why Gorbachev's Rekjavik proposal fo
Zach
Disappointing.
The authors' use of Reagan's speeches as well as recently classified documents and access to Reagan's diaries does provide a resource of primary source material. However, the authors do not provide much analysis or insight. Often, the documents are simply put in the text as if they alone will support the authors' obviously pro-Reagan view.

The book could have also been intersting as an insiders' account of the Reagan White House during a critical period. However, the authors do no
Douglas Graney
The Anderson's had a lazy approach to this book. Use Reagan diary entries, excerpts from his autobiography and some recently declassified papers interspersed with fawning over all things Reagan and prest-o! A weak book on Reagan.
Adam
A very informative book that gives you a great overview of world/American politics from 1981-1989. However it ia a bit of a tribute to President Reagan's legacy from an obvious supporter.
Gerald Curtis
I did not have a very high regard for Reagan's presidency before I read this account. Now I am amazed at his principles, determination, and accomplishments, in spite of continual doubt and even opposition from his advisers.

I wish I could go back in time and watch his eight years again, knowing now what was going on behind the scenes. A great biographical account of his presidency.
Rob
Nov 04, 2013 Rob rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: bio
I was prepared, going in, that this book was going to be a hagiography (it is). What I wasn't prepared for, and what I couldn't get past, was the sycophantic tone that this hero-worship was presented at. I would like to read about this subject with some distance in objectivity and time.
Baniza
The cold war to a successful end ..
Joanna Mitchell
Joanna Mitchell marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Edward Brandt
Edward Brandt marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Chuck Cubbage
Chuck Cubbage marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Johnvano
Johnvano is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Gabriel P Gutierrez
Gabriel P Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Seed Saving for the Organic Gardener (Organic Gardening Guides) The Vegetable Container Gardening Guide: How to Grow Food in a Container Garden Impostors in the Temple: The Decline of the American University Revolution Interlocutors of Paradise