Start by marking “Just Another Soldier: A Year on the Ground in Iraq” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is not your father's war

This is Iraq, where a soldier's first duty is reinforcing his Humvee with sheet metal and sand bags. Or, in the absence of plumbing, burning barrels of human waste. Where any dead dog on the side of the road might be concealing an insurgent's bomb and anyone could be the enemy.

At age 17, Jason Christopher Hartley joined the Army National Guard.
Published October 4th 2005 by Harper (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Just Another Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Another Soldier

J.J. Brown
Jason Christopher Hartley's memoir "Just Another Soldier" is less about what happens, and more about how it feels to be on the ground in Iraq. The book is a shock to read, as a civilian, but I couldn't put it down and looked forward to reading each new entry as a window into his world in the service. My father was a veteran of WWII, but was also opposed to war. The stories soldiers tell have changed a lot since that time. Jason is a great story teller. I highly recommend his book for readers who ...more
Lillian
Reading this book gives a noncombatant an intimate view of the Army's day to day life in Iraq. Jason's writing style is harsh, and brutally honest about others as well as himself. Which of course lends to an interesting and enlightening read that forces some introspection on the reader as well. Basic Info about the book- created from a series of blog entries posted while Jason was a soldier in the US Army in Iraq, year 2oo4. A lot of controversy surrounded the blog and he was forced to take it d ...more
Michio Papers
"Just Another Soldier" is a true story of events following the author, Jason Hartley, through his tour in Iraq. The book provides an in-depth, no-frills honest perspective from the eyes of a US grunt on the ground.
Hartley's documentation of his deployment was first posted on his blog site while he was in Iraq. After coming back to the States, however, he decided to compile his entries into a book format. The resulting string of entries covers his entire wartime experience, from the training he
Desiree
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it offers a good perspective for someone who is not in the military - what life can be like for our soldiers. Yes, those in the military may take issue with Jason writing his story and may take issue with some of his actions. I do not sit in a position to judge him or his actions. I see this book as an account of what his life was like, not a document with which to judge him.

I find that he has a self-deprecating sense of humor. He admits his mistakes -
Natalie
Jul 31, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in a first hand account of the Iraq war.
Shelves: 2008, iraq-war
I picked up this book because I wanted to have a better understand of a friend's experience serving overseas, as well as I wanted to read something entirely different than I have read all year.

Not too far into reading it I discover, surprisingly, not only Hartley grow up about 20 minutes from where I did, he is also a former Mormon as well! So this book had familiar neuances that made it extremely enjoyable (My favorite would be how he described answering the phone for one of his duties. He answ
Brandon Jennings
Although there is not anything here interesting stylistically (it was a blog that got "made into" a book, so what the hell should I have expected), there is a lot of honesty in the writing that I appreciate. So basically, I'd have a beer with this guy. If you want to get an insider's look at ground operations in Iraq from a pseudo-sexist (albeit aware of his sexism enough to comment on and attempt to understand it), snarky, at times self-glorifying (see the section on his "Muckraking" that got h ...more
Megan
Jason gives a good account of his point of view, and he is an incredible author. However, he uses this book to try to rationalize his completely amoral behavior.

Jason spent a year in Iraq, and while he was there he knowingly broke the Geneva Convention. He makes himself out to be a victim, but I am somewhat familiar with the briefings that soldiers get before going into combat, and there is NO WAY that he didn't know how completely reprehensible it is to post pictures of detainees on the Interne
Caity
I loved it! The premise is a man deployed to Iraq who has a blog and then subsequently gets asked to take it down but continues to write and then eventually puts it back up which causes him to get an Article 15. So the whole book is basically blog entries from him while he's deployed. He's a fabulous writer - funny, poignant, descriptive. Perfect. I would highly recommend.
Stefanie
It was interesting hearing the insight from a soldier on the ground instead of another news reporter. I honestly read this book to try to get a better feel for what it would be like for my boyfriend Brian over there. He will be leaving in September to go to Iraq and I will probably never understand what it will b/was like for him.
Christina Boyle
I was dating a soldier and had heard the author interviewed on NPR a couple of years back. I wanted to better understand what life was like in combat. Jason Christopher Hartley's male, Gen Y writing style is irresistible. It's a conversational and humanizing portrayal of the soldier's plight in the Iraq War.
Daphne
I liked the book, but I was on a war movie & book kick and then suddenly I felt overwhelmed. Too much...just, too much. Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten far into this book at that point and didn't feel like I could finish.
Rae
This was a disappointment to me. He says he is "just another soldier" but somehow I doubt that. I would like to know what other soldiers who served think of this memoir.
Eric
I laughed out loud several times reading this book. Hartley's humor vividly illustrates the absurdities of Army life in Iraq.
shay
an interesting firsthand account of life as a soldier and the war in iraq. i enjoyed it a lot.
Joe
This guy was a whiner, he didn't really get it. Not that good of a book.
Tawnya
Jul 20, 2007 Tawnya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking to see what's going on in Iraq from a young soldier's point of view
Great book and really eye opening!
Aaron Regan
Aaron Regan marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Sharah Dougherty
Sharah Dougherty marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jenniffer
Jenniffer marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Giuseppe  Imburgia
Giuseppe Imburgia marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Sol
Sol marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Tomas
Tomas added it
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell: An Accidental Soldier's Account of the War in Iraq
  • My War: Killing Time in Iraq
  • Chasing Ghosts: Failures and Facades in Iraq: A Soldier's Perspective
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • Kaboom: Embracing the Suck in a Savage Little War
  • In a Time of War: The Proud and Perilous Journey of West Point's Class of 2002
  • Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq
  • Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
  • This Man's Army