Start by marking “Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity, #1)

Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,103 Ratings  ·  451 Reviews

The road back to bestsellerdom can be deadly.

Holmes & Moriarity, Book 1

Thanks to an elderly spinster sleuth and her ingenious cat, Christopher Holmes has enjoyed a celebrated career as a bestselling mystery writer. Until now. Sales are down and his new editor is allergic to geriatric gumshoes.

On the advice of his agent, he reinvents his fortyish, frumpy, recently

Published June 16th 2009 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (first published June 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody Killed His Editor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody Killed His Editor

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsSticks & Stones by Madeleine Urban
Favorite Gay Couples
38th out of 2,257 books — 2,956 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
8th out of 591 books — 575 voters

More lists with this book...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
4 stars. Review posted October 16, 2014

photo oie_svkHRgQD7SO2_zpsfkyv44jk.gif

photo oie_3GefD2usarkR 1_zps5tsk6zd3.gif

photo oie_oNEWRqKrw3VX_zps3990a7b6.gif

When Christopher (Kit) Holmes, a thirty-nine-year-old author of numerous award-winning mysteries, was on his way to visit a remote writers retreat in California wine country, the horrible weather should have been warning enough for what had yet to come. After abandoning his car, he's compelled to hike his way to the Blue Heron Lodge and, unfortunately, finds the body of a very dead woman.

photo oie_cjVQMrbSaHUG_zpsup9axbbj.gif

As it turned out, she was supposed to attend the mystery writer's con
Jenni Lea

Move over Adrien, there's a new man in my life.

Wow oh wow! How much did I love Christopher Holmes, huh?

This was fabulous. Just freaking fantastic. I connected so well with these characters and I found Christopher's cynical and self deprecating voice refreshing, humorous and so unbelievably honest. This is a man who knows who he is and is not afraid to show it. He is just so endearing that I can't help but love him.

Josh Lanyon has a way of writing that is so elegant and smart that I feel classy j
Damon Suede
May 05, 2011 Damon Suede rated it it was amazing
IMpeccable mystery romance with a winning new duo. Lanyon is one of the gold stanards of our genre.

Craft! Wit! Chops! Lanyon just knows his shit and throws down like a hot truckstop hooker with no time to waste. Deliver-deliver-deliver... If I have any quibble, it's with the abrupt ending but I know full well why Lanyond structured it that way and agree with the choice in principle.

One of these days his books are going to cross over to mass market. They should have already. Amazing. I enjoyed t
Ingela
Written August 11, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - Crime among writers, brilliant and surprisingly charming!

Book #1

I so VERY much enjoyed to read and listening to the Adrian English series (#1- Fatal Shadows etc) by Josh Lanyon. I can't remember anything I've read and not liked and praised, written by this man. ~ I crossed my fingers....

Yahoo! This was a surprisingly good one!!

Somebody Killed His Editor is certainly not for everyone but do you like to read (or watch on TV) a clever whodunit crime, as I
Loederkoningin
Aug 05, 2015 Loederkoningin rated it really liked it
3.5 I've put off reading this series forever since it's practically impossible to live up to Adrien & Jake, but here we go. :)

Thoughts to come.
Rosa, really

I have come to the conclusion that if I ever find myself in a historic building rife with homicide during some kind of storm and there are two dudes that snipe at each other until I want to yell For the love of all god's cherubim and seraphim, WILL YOU FUCK ALREADY! (and/or admit you lurve each other) then I must be that single female friend in a Lanyon novel that generally seems to have such shitty taste in men.

....

....

Just thought I'd share.

Also, Kevin R Free is a good narrator, but, man, hi
Shelley
It’s the strangest thing, when I read Josh Lanyon I feel the need to dress up, put my lipstick on and sit up straight. Weird. I guess it’s the company I find myself in, Josh Lanyon books just ooze so much class, I feel like his characters wouldn’t approve if I was to say …read in the bath or lay about in bed covered in tea stains and biscuit crumbs. Yeaaah …that would be really rude.

Well, I got to tell you all – this was so much FUN! I was fit to bursting with lady-like giggles and hand over the
Miriam
Aug 02, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, books
Whilst stumbling through the rainy woods on his way to a writers' conference, mystery author Christopher Holmes stumbles upon (gasp!) a body. Soon the dead best-seller is joined by her jerk editor and fingers start pointing at Holmes.

This probably isn't a tight enough mystery plotwise to really please hardcore mystery fans, and I can't say the writing is anything superb, but it was a fun, quick read. It probably doesn't quite deserve four stars but I'm rounding up for enjoyment. Lanyon did a goo
The Flooze
**4.5**

I absolutely love Josh Lanyon. He writes the perfect blend of thrilling mystery, quirky comedy, and sweet and sexy romance. He makes me tense, he makes me giddy, and he makes me sigh—all while I try to piece together who the damn murderer is.

When we first meet Christopher “Kit” Holmes, the story reads like my favorite sort of comedy routine: It's full of exasperation, self-deprecation and sarcasm. Christopher is at his wits’ end since discovering his publisher won't be reupping his contr
Debra
This book was so much fun! I loved the interactions between Holmes and Moriarity, there is a cast of quirky secondary characters and the mystery moved along nicely.

When Holmes finds himself unexpectedly stuck at a writer's retreat with Moriarity, a man whom he spent a long weekend with 10 years ago, the sight of the man turns out to be the least of his problems. There is an antagonism with an undercurrent of sexual tension and unresolved issues between the two. A lot has changed for both men in
Ilhem
Nov 29, 2012 Ilhem rated it really liked it
Shelves: josh-lanyon, m-m, mystery, fun

This book was exactly what I needed and I read it with a constant smile on my face : amused, ironic, fond, knowing, goofy, sometimes exploding into laughter...
Indeed, there is a lot to smile at:

The setting is a conference reuniting an entire cast of writers and it was fun to have an insight into their world and into the publishing industry.
The mystery was a big wink at Agatha Christie and I dived happily into the intrigue, suspecting everyone until the very end.

Holmes is self-centered, bitter an
MLE
Mar 27, 2013 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I find Josh Lanyon books are hit and miss with me. This one is definitely a hit.

I really enjoyed Christopher Holmes, and his point of view. It's refreshing reading about a character who isn't in his early twenties and smoking hot. It's a nice change to read about someone I can relate to more especially as I get older. Christopher's insecurities, and fears felt real to me. I was able to understand where he was coming from, and I really felt for him as he tried to save his writing career.

The sec
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I must confess: I didn't realize J.X.'s name was Moriarity with an _i_ until it was spelled out in the book.

First of all, I liked the setting and the cast of characters (I really liked Rachel, Kit's agent). The beginning of the book is gripping and you really get in the mood of a mistery in a secluded location.

I loved Kit. Even if he was the narrator, I felt like he was able to keep his hurt to himself and at the same time he was able to retain some kind of levity. He's often walking a fine edge
Deeze
Oct 08, 2014 Deeze rated it it was amazing
I’m sure this is going to be another winning Detective series.

I loved the Adrien English series, and following Adrien and Jake was a delight. Now I feel like I get to do it all again but with Kit and J.X.

Kit is an author not a bookshop owner, and J.X is an Ex cop turned writer, but the chemistry feels the same. This time though its Kit that is the problem.

Due to Kit’s preference for the devil you know, and not liking to rock the boat, he failed to act on his feelings, so ten wasted years later
Therese
Oct 27, 2015 Therese rated it really liked it
*4.5*

Well, since I’ve read the Adrien English series before this one, I guess comparisons are inevitable. On the surface, there are of course similarities, mainly the author/cop pairing. However, after that, things do get a bit different.
What I really liked is that Kit and his problems are so relatable. Adrian and his heart condition were so high up on the angst list, it certainly felt further away (for me at least) while reading. Maybe Adrian had a bigger emotional impact on me, but it was grea
MishyJo
Apr 05, 2015 MishyJo rated it really liked it
I am on a roll. Three audiobooks books in a row that I really liked. Yay.
Natasha
In my top 3 books I've read all year.

There will be spoilers in this review. Oh and swearing. LOTS OF SWEARING AHEAD. Probably.

Josh Lanyon's writing is unbelievable. Actually unbelievable. If I could chose to write like any one person, it would be him. It's so damn engaging, his writing is honestly like a siren's call. You can't escape or back away from it. He sucks you in and holds you there. It's amazing. Amazing. The imagery he uses is so exciting and not overdone. I've read a lot of books whi
Sara
Nov 30, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sara by: Natasha
So... I will admit going into this and expecting more angst and a similar story to The Adrien English Mysteries. I mean, this is Lanyon and I adore the authors formula. This was the same and yet it wasn't. Odd? Not so much.

This was refreshing and light and funny as hell. Christopher "Kit" Holmes is insane in the best way possible. The things that go through his head and come out of his mouth either had me laughing, cringing or hiding under blankets because they were so awkward, but they were al
Dreamer
Oct 27, 2015 Dreamer rated it it was amazing
Loved this m/m murder mystery set in the world of mystery writers. I felt great empathy with Christopher the main protagonist and cared about what happened to him and J.X. his long lost love interest. Also some excellent observational humour and cutting asides. Brilliant!

'He pushed up on his arms, the ropes of muscle delineated by the shifting shadows, and he was smiling, but it was a knowledgeable smile - the vulnerable boy was long gone and I felt regret for that.
Regret that I hadn't cherished
Wendy Ciliacus
Awesome !! On to the next one ;)
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was so good that I had to start reading the second as soon as a put down the first, even though it was past bed time. It's funny, smart, a little angsty but not a lot, hot, interesting, and I didn't figure the mystery out.

Holmes wasn't easy to like at first but by the end I was in love with him and wanted the world for him. Moriarity was adorable and hot and strong and vulnerable and sweet and just wonderful. I shouldn't tell you that since he's considered a suspect for part of the book bu
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Great deal on the audio at Audible for $4.95 today, 11/30/15!
GymGuy
Dec 30, 2011 GymGuy rated it it was ok
I generally enjoy Josh Lanyon, but I thought this one was one of his weaker novels, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I thought the whole set-up was a little worn. How many Agatha Christie plots have been duplicated? Probably hundreds. The whole set-up of a group of people trapped at a lodge in a winter storm with a murder and a detective/Angela Landsbury-type character gets to be a little old.

Secondly, I got really tired of the MC--just too whiney for me. Yeah, as J.X. said, he was too much of
Emma Sea
Sep 14, 2012 Emma Sea rated it liked it
It took me a while to get my head around both Kit and J.X., the MCs. What kept me going was the sense of loss that J.X. had for Kit. It was all kind of melancholic, with a sense of wondering if it was too late after all. However the storytelling is technically so smooth and enjoyable: it's a sense of almost physical relief to sink into a well-crafted book after some of the drek in m/m (that I will still read because I like the characters or merely the hot sex).

3.5 stars.
Johanna
Why haven't I read this book earlier?!

I fell blindly and unconditionally in love with Kit! He seems to be struggling with his mid-life crisis big time: his long-term relationship has just ended, his career is going downhill, he is concerned about his health, he feels awfully old and he complains a lot about all and everything. What is there not to like about this man?! I enjoy the way he sees the world and himself through snarky lenses and I absolutely love the unbeatable logic of his!

And maybe
Trisha Harrington
This book was really good, not for the romance, but the crime plot was done incredibly well. Lanyon always does crime plots well. His writing style is very easy to follow along. It's not hard to get engrossed in one of his books. You can always expect a good crime novel/short story from this author. But as with other books of his I have read, the romance wasn't my favourite aspect. I'll read book two, though. I want to see what happens.

I'm glad Kelly recommended this book to me. I'm a huge fan o
Gina
Nov 02, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
This was a fun mystery, wonderful MC's and excellent writing. This was mystery about a killer among mystery writers story. I haven't read many Josh Lanyon books, I must change that!
Sonia ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~
Oct 15, 2014 Sonia ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I have no words!!! This was an AWESOME read!!!
I already was a huge Josh Lanyon fan ( Adrien English series ; and many others)but this just drove the final nail in the coffin, so to speak ;)) hmm.. it seams I do have words :))
As with many of his novels, I can't tell who did it until the last part of the book, which I loooove!!!!
BUT!! What I adored the most about this one, is our lovely, lovely Holmes! He was not only clever and yummy, but he was HILARIOUS!!! I just eat him up!! I couldn
Q&A with Josh Lanyon: July 2012: Somebody Killed His Editor 361 114 Jul 31, 2012 06:05AM
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Catch Me If You Can (Romano and Albright, #1)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run, #5)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

Holmes & Moriarity (3 books)
  • All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
  • The Boy with the Painful Tattoo (Holmes & Moriarity, #3)

“You know that thing about Death Be Not Proud? Well, Fear Be Not Proud either. And Fear Be Not Elegant. What Fear be is stumbling, bumbling flight, crashing through brush, slip-sliding on pine needles, sloshing through puddles that are always deeper than you expect.” 46 likes
“I thought I recognized you."
Really? He remembered me looking like Swamp Thing? How flattering.”
42 likes