Start by marking “The Poky Little Puppy” as Want to Read:
The Poky Little Puppy

The Poky Little Puppy

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
One of the original 12 Little Golden Books, The Poky Little Puppy has sold nearly 15 million copies since 1942, making it one of the most popular children’s books of all time. Now this curious little puppy is ready to win the hearts and minds of a new generation of kids.

From the Hardcover edition.
Board Book, Abridged, 26 pages
Published January 9th 2007 by Golden Books

To ask other readers questions about The Poky Little Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poky Little Puppy

So this is a terrible story. 5 puppies keep sneaking out of their yard, and one is really poky (hence the name). The 4 faster puppies get caught disobeying their mother and don't get dessert, while the Poky Puppy sneaks in and eats it all (?) after everyone goes to bed. First of all, dog mom is obviously a terrible mother what with letting her puppies wander around with no supervision. Secondly, it seems weird to reward the slow one for getting home last. Thirdly, I don't ever punish/reward my k ...more
This is the longest, non-rhyming book my 2-year-old will sit through, and I love it. It led to one of her very first complete sentences, "I see something!" The illustrations of the puppies are just adorable. Alice loves counting the puppies and then saying, "One puppy wasn't there!" She basically has it memorized, even if desserts like rice pudding and chocolate custard are completely foreign to her. She definitely knows what strawberry shortcake is!
Can't say I remember this story, despite it being pretty popular. It was okay. I didn't really get the ending but hey.
This is a cute book. I remember it as a kid. It is too lengthy for a toddler, though.
Andrea Whitten
Aug 03, 2007 Andrea Whitten rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I realize this book is for five-year-olds, but I absolutely love it. My mom always called me the Poky Little Puppy. I like to think it's because I took my sweet time and not because I'm "slow."
My wife and I just found the board book edition in the PX - already a hit with our youngest (22 months). Great classic.
Mary Denise
This is one of my favorite books from childhood.
Andrea Adams
Read to me by grandma! :)
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Gember-Jacobson Family
Gember-Jacobson Family marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Stephanie Grimes
Stephanie Grimes marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Monse marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Enzo Barbati
Enzo Barbati marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Olivia added it
Jan 25, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Poky Little Puppy The Poky Little Puppy Little Golden Book Collection: Sleeptime Tales The Poky Little Puppy (a Big Little Golden Book) The Poky Little Puppy (A Little Little Golden Book)