Start by marking “Social Networking for Genealogists” as Want to Read:
Social Networking for Genealogists

Social Networking for Genealogists

Using genealogy-related examples, Smith demonstrates how many social networking and Web 2.0 sites and services can be used to share resources and communicate with other genealogists.
Published May 28th 2009 by Genealogical Publishing Company (first published March 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Social Networking for Genealogists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Social Networking for Genealogists

Sherry
Sep 29, 2009 Sherry rated it liked it
Despite having the worst cover art imaginable, this book covered the various aspects of social networking quite well. The author explained well how genealogists can best utilize social networking tools. The chapters covered a wide array of topics about social networking including message boards, blogs, wikis, file sharing, Facebook. Although most of the coverage was quite good, there were a couple of important aspects of social networking for genealogists that the author almost completely overlo ...more
Sally
Dec 14, 2009 Sally rated it liked it
Fairly straight forward description of online venues that can assist in doind family history. It assumes that you know how to access the internet, and say, check your email, but that you don't know much else.

The information on RSS, tags, blogs, photo and video sharing, and podcasts held nothing new for me, but I was surprised that I did not know anything about wikis.

Sure, I thought it was a funny coincidence that the bus at Honolulu International Airport was also called a wiki-wiki, but I didn'
Monica
May 03, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
This is a 129 page reference book that covers the different aspects of using the social media available to broaden your genealogical horizons, such as mailing lists, blogs, and social networking sites. It is a simple read with screen prints showing you steps in each chapter, although it doesn't go into too much depth on any one category. At the end of each chapter, it gives suggestions to get you started in the area that chapter covered. It was written in an interesting and easy to understand wa ...more
Kim. E.
Oct 23, 2016 Kim. E. rated it liked it
Shelves: genealogy
When I first began genealogy, I had two choices: either travel to the county to reseach (have to admit I still love going into those dusty story places in the courthouWes),or go to the local libraries if they have a genealogy section. As computers became more important to our lives records were digitized, blogs published, companies such as Ancestry developed, and so on. This book was the first one I read to educate me on all the ways social media Could help. Good start.
Gwnhwyfer
It was a good introduction to various social networking sites specifically (and sometimes not so specifically) for genealogists. If you're an absolute newbie, this is the book for you. If you know what you're doing, skip it.
Brenda
Aug 04, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Bogs, podcasts, message boards, photo & video sharing, RSS feeds, tags, virtual worlds, wikis, collaborative editing, & genealogy specific social networks! Very informative & quick read!
Joe Defazio
Joe Defazio rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Marsha
Marsha rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Adele
Adele rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Skara_brae
Skara_brae rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Melanie
Aug 12, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genealogy-books
I loved this book!!!!!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2011
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Dianne Fullam
Dianne Fullam rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Whitney Mckim
Whitney Mckim rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2009
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2009
Shella Linas
Shella Linas rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Charleen Mullenweg
Charleen Mullenweg rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Gennie Lancaster
Gennie Lancaster rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013