Start by marking “We Are Our Mothers' Daughters: Revised and Expanded Edition” as Want to Read:
We Are Our Mothers' Daughters: Revised and Expanded Edition
Preview

We Are Our Mothers' Daughters: Revised and Expanded Edition

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  608 ratings  ·  96 reviews
In this revised and expanded tenth-anniversary edition of the #1 New York Times bestseller, renowned political commentator Cokie Roberts once again examines the nature of women's roles through the revealing lens of her personal experience. From mother to mechanic, sister to soldier, Roberts reveals how much progress has been made—and how much further we have to go. A super ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Harper Perennial (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about We Are Our Mothers' Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Our Mothers' Daughters

*Christie*
I loved the parts about women in politics (especially parts about our founding Mothers) and the sections about the bond that we as women share. HOWEVER, as "non-partisan" as she tried to be, Cokie Roberts (obvious liberal) tells the Great Lie. The Great Lie is that women can do everything, all at once and be fabulous at everything they do. Being an anchor woman, a perfect mother, a politician, a housekeeper etc. while looking perfect and being on the PTA of course. IT ISN'T TRUE GIRLS!!! Books l ...more
Kate Runy
What I loved about this collections of essays about the role of women is the acknowledgement of the struggles of previous generations and how women dealt with those difficulties. There are a multitude of female role models in this book, ones that I was familiar with and ones I wasn't. Reading their accomplishments made me feel that I should do more to learn about the legacies of my foremothers. Also, this helped me to recognize that the fight for equal recognition is far from over. Men who keep ...more
Dorothy
Roberts writes about the advances of women in the political and cultural milieu of our time and how these advances came as our generation (and each generation) stood on the shoulders of our mothers who struggled and sacrificed to earn respect. She writes from a very personal perspective - about her mother, her sister, her friends in the world of journalism, and about her own experiences and those of her daughter and nieces.

Roberts' journalistic attempt to be, dare I say, "fair and balanced" lea
Angie
I really wanted to like this book... I have a great deal of respect for Cokie Roberts. There were some interesting facts in there, but unfortunately I found the personal stories, how she so clearly wanted to invite all of us to live the life she had... "see, you can do it, too!"... condescending and off-putting. There was a moment -- in which she was cheerfully explaining that a woman sometimes needs to arrange her fresh flowers in the home at 3am because that's the only available time -- that I ...more
Sue
This book, a collection of stories about real women, was a gift from my daughter. As a mother who always worked because I had to but who also loved working, I identified with so many of the issues in the book. Staying home with children is now a choice unlike when the feminists declared that all women should work. I enjoyed reading about women throughout history who made their mark even without receiving credit for what they did.

My favorite quote is toward the very end of the book. From her bo
Veronica Schultz
This isn't the type of book I usually read, but I won tickets to hear the author speak so I figured I should read some of her books. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Her writing style is very much like hearing her speak in person, and she seems like the type of person you could disagree with on everything, but still enjoy her company. I gave the book 3 stars, but it was definitely close to 4. There were a few moments with a little more snark than necessary (because really, none is neces ...more
Catie
Cokie Roberts' lifetime interest has been the advancement of girls and women. This short biography spotlights womens' struggles for equity in jobs and in pay, academe, sports, politics and more. Along with the broader story- a history of American women - is her personal story, a journey that women of our generation might well find resonates with their own lives.
Cici
I loved it. There were so many interesting insights to our mother's generation and intellectual development.
Margaret Carmel
This book is a must read not just for women, but for everyone. The way that Cokie Roberts intermixes tales of women pioneers, hard working women today, and stories from her own life is a very engaging way of discussing the identity of the modern woman. When I was younger, I believed that because I would like to work that means that I can absolutely not have a family. Reading this book has shown me that it's certainly possible and not shameful to do both. The core theme of this book is that in a ...more
Kerry
I thought this book was about Cokie Robert's relationship with her mother but instead it is about a variety of issues and how they affect women. She goes way too into the back story of each chapter and provides too much information without connecting it all purposely together. I ended up skimming the chapters as I went along because it was so boring.
Peggy Bird
This was my book club's choice for this month after two of the group's members had seen Roberts speak. There was much to enjoy about it. The book details, in separate chapters, the roles women have historically played in fields from medicine and politics to the military and as aunts. Roberts has definitely done her research. The biggest drawback to the book, for me, is that it is uneven. Some chapters are engaging and full of both information and Roberts' personality, some seem to be a dry recit ...more
Sandy D.
A fun read, but not really engrossing or moving, except for a few parts where she talks about her sister who died of cancer.

I did like the arrangement, though - she alternates chapters like "Sister" with "Mechanic, First Class" and "Wife" with "Enterpriser", going back and forth between her life story (and her extended family's), and people she got to know (sometimes subjects of her stories) in the course of her career. Interesting people, fascinating history, presented in an easy to swallow man
Vilo
I want to get this book in print so I can remember some of the "first woman to" references in many of these essays. The essays by journalist Cokie Roberts cover many topics of interest to women, especially the history of women's accomplishments but also stories of how family and friends support each other, how central those roles of mothers and daughters are no matter what else we are passionate about. Having seen women politicians I'm not sure that women will always be anti-war, family friendly ...more
Libbie Counselman
Cokie reads this herself for the audio version. It was very good for women's rights, and particularly interesting around the death of her sister, Barbara, since Barbara was a former Mayor of Princeton. A bit dense, but worthwhile, nonetheless.
Maureen Vincent
Love this wise sincere strong practical lady!
Petrea
A new edition--filled with stories of marvelous women who have accomplished so much. I learned some history of the advancement of women's rights that I hadn't realized before. These kinds of books often provoke two reactions in me---1. Why didn't I accomplish anything noteworthy? and 2. I feel a bit condescended to because I am a stay at home Mom--career women I have known tend to make me feel like that. I wish women had the right in this modern society to make that choice.

Still she's a fun writ
Kelsey
partial reading
Liz
I loved this book, which appropriately enough, my mom gave me. Roberts recounts many compelling stories and vignettes of women who forged new paths and created legacies in all areas of society in America from politics and business to education and labor reform. She writes about being mothers and daughters, and ultimately nurturers and how all of these aforementioned areas are places where women belong. There is so much history packed into this one book and I found it fascinating and so very rele ...more
Marilyn
She's trying to answer the question of "a woman's place" by looking at her own experiences and those throughout history. Some of the examples I read in her "Founding Mothers" book. There's a really beautiful chapter about her relationship with her sis and her eventual death due to cancer. I enjoyed reading her memories of her family growing up and her reflections on raising her kids. It helps me to hear what was important to different people, how we are similar, how we are different.
Anne
Intresting after reading the reviews, i think depending on age and how you grew up determines how you feel about this book. My first interview for a teaching job I was asked if I planned on getting pregnant soon. My husband and I could not teach in the same town even tho he was high school and I was elementary. I loved her insights into life. Was amazed on dates we were allowed to enter certain places. I had to think did I have women profs in college...
Sara
It's astonishing to learn how recently most of the changes for women have taken place, like owning our own property along with the chances for all types of careers. Even at my age, I didn't realize that just about everything we now take for granted became law in the past 60-70 years. A lot more needs to be done, of course. Cokie Roberts details many different occupations through her interviews with women who lived through and helped facilitate the changes.
Arlene
The power of women throughout history is portrayed through essays about individual women who made a difference like Esther Peterson, consumer advocate, and Eva Oliver, first-class mechanic, as well as the women, past and present, in Cokie's family who affirmed "the bond of female solidarity" (from Jacket). This book is another must-read for young women embarking on their journeys into careers, marriages, motherhood, and this 21st century society.
Jen Som
Roberts' generalities on motherhood morph into her relationship with her sister and various dignitaries, which distracts the reader from her maternal and feminist advice. In all of her experiences and wisdom, I felt she left the reader less than satisfied with what qualities contribute to living as our mothers' daughters. If you like reading about rubbing elbows with office holders, past and present, you may enjoy this book more than I have.
Amanda
Sep 07, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Cokie Roberts
Recommended to Amanda by: No one.
I read Founding Mothers and loved it, so I decided to grab this one at the library.

To be truthful, I found this book tedious after I figured out she was just going to talk about the successful woman and not those that are out there struggling making an honest life for themselves and others. I would highly reccommend her other book "Founding Mothers" over this one. However, it was a fast read, so it didn't take much of my time.
Granny (KiP)
This is a MUST READ for women of ALL AGES. Roberts has gathered valuable information about the journey we have or are taking as women. In many ways it is a history of women, filling in some gaps for me and bringing up sweet and some bittersweet memories. But the stories are told with such warmth and depth that,...well it is just a pleasure to read.

I will add it to a list I'm compiling of must reads for my grandchildren.
Jeanette
This book was a little slow at the offset but turned out to be a good read. I loved all of the history and Roberts' descriptions of the impact women have had, and continue to have, in shaping history. I also enjoyed her analysis of the strength of women's relationships with each other. There is a more recent edition with updated chapters that I would like to read.
Dayla
If Cokie were my mother, I would fall dead from boredom. Cokie,honey, quit with the self-aggrandizement already. Okay, your mom and dad were really insiders in Washington DC and apparently at the Vatican too (your mom's history). But stop making appearances where you interrupt everyone else thinking that you have the "best" thing always to say.
Lynn
Oct 13, 2008 Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the history and roles of women.
Recommended to Lynn by: Professor Deborah Caravelli
This book is light reading and provides an overview of the role of women in different fields and over time. It's less comprehensive as Gail Collins' American Women, but it is still a nice beginning book in exploring the history of women in the United States. The book also features Cokie's background and that of several female relatives.
bookczuk
I really like and admire Cokie Roberts- and am amazed by Lindy Boggs. I read this book in little snippets- kind of like hearing little stories on NPR...

(Found a prescription for a previous reader's albuterol tucked inside of the book after I brought it home from the UBS. Hope she didn't end up breathless.)
  • Edward R. Murrow and the Birth of Broadcast Journalism
  • Finding My Voice
  • Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem
  • An Unfinished Marriage
  • All I Did Was Ask: Conversations with Writers, Actors, Musicians, and Artists
Cokie Roberts is an American journalist and author. She is the "Contributing Senior News Analyst" for National Public Radio as well as regular roundtable analyst for the current This Week with George Stephanopoulos.
More about Cokie Roberts...
Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation Ladies of Liberty: The Women Who Shaped Our Nation From This Day Forward Founding Mothers: Remembering the Ladies Our Haggadah: Uniting Traditions for Interfaith Families