Start by marking “The Dark Man” as Want to Read:
The Dark Man

The Dark Man

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Dark Man is a near-future thriller about a master of disguise working to eradicate Christianity in America. Charles Graves is haunted by his dead brother, his lost mother, and a phantom arising cryptically from a child's puzzle. But sometimes he who persecutes the church is destined to serve her.
Published April 1st 2009 by Marcher Lord Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Man

By Darkness Hid by Jill WilliamsonTo Darkness Fled by Jill WilliamsonFrom Darkness Won by Jill WilliamsonA Star Curiously Singing by Kerry NietzThe Superlative Stream by Kerry Nietz
Marcher Lord Press
22nd out of 29 books — 10 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienBy Darkness Hid by Jill WilliamsonHeartless by Anne Elisabeth StenglStarflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
The Ultimate Christian Speculative Fiction List
172nd out of 195 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

C.L.
For some time, I've been enjoying the increase in variety in Christian fiction outside of standard women's-fiction themes. However, I'm still finding it hard to get my hands on work that really diversifies away from some well-established obligatory points. This one's a win.

This is not a book of behaving well in spite of sad things, such that everything turns out well in the end. It's not a book of lessons in repentance from typical minor mistakes. It's a book of broken, lonely people behaving in
Wendy Macdonald
The Dark Man is action packed while giving you the opportunity to really get to know the characters within its deep POV. I don't usually read this genre, but the plot managed to pull me in right away and hold my attention. It's not a predictable read--so hold onto your seat while turning the pages.
Rachel Thomson
His name is Charles Graves. He can wear any face; imitate any voice; fit in anywhere. His work for the Agency is legendary, especially among the hidden clusters of Christians he has helped uncover and “reclaim.” His father and only remaining family, Senator Cotton Graves, loves him. His coworker, relentless logic-girl Julia Jenkins, will do anything for him. His competition, Agency hot-shot Richard Farris, is determined to discredit him.

But no one, least of all Charles himself, really knows who
Paul Lee
Even though I’ve read through this novel twice now, and digested it as well as I could, I still find it difficult to know what to make of The Dark Man as a whole. I could focus on only one aspect on the novel and criticize it negatively or neutrally, depending on what aspect I was looking at. But that would be unfair, because this novel has affected by thinking greatly since I first read it, giving me a new metaphor to examine my own life. It is a powerful story, though not so much in the emotio ...more
Nathanael
This was not a perfect book. Interior monologue dizzied me, morphing into hard-to-follow interior dialogue. A dearth of contractions made the actual dialogue seem stilted in some places. A few scenes were improbable; others strangely saccharine.
I loved it.
Despite its flaws, despite its glitches, despite even the format in which I read the book (PDF), this book captivated me. Charles, Julia, Cleveland, Cotton—even Fah-reese—were vivid and believable characters. I suppose this was partly becaus
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

In this near-future psychological thriller, undercover agent Charles Graves is working to bring down the last remnants of Christians in Texas. Charles is capable of the ultimate disguises, like the kind that Tom Cruise uses in the Mission Impossible movies. Charles’ assignment: bring down Reverend James Cleveland, the one remaining influential Christian leader in the US.

Just before Charles can arrest Cleveland, he hears God’s voice through the Reverend’s message. Charles
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

Julian
Marc Schooley has written his novel based on a brilliant premise - a modern-day re-telling of the life and conversion of the Apostle Paul. In this case, master of disguise Charles Graves, a man working to eradicate Christianity in America, is in great need of a conversion. The book's marketing copy promised a picture of a world where Christianity was illegal, and believers were hunted down and imprisoned, or worse.

Despite the intelligent premise, I had trouble finishing the book. The marketing
D.M. Dutcher
Unusual novel about a tormented man whose power of disguise helps him round of Christians, but in the end the Christians round up him.

Charles Graves is an agent with an incredible affinity for stealth and disguise. In a future world where only approved music and movies are allowed, and the dominant form of belief centers around prisms, he is good at busting illegal Christians.

He is also quite possibly insane.

Charles is tormented by an ever-present companion, a Dark Man who whispers to him throug
Bill
Set in the not-too-distant future, this book is a quirky, surreal adventure story that is an emotional roller coaster up to the book's climactic end. Charles Graves is a master of disguise, a government agent dedicated to uncovering underground churches and "reclaiming" its members for a terrifying state religion and its censorship of every form of expression. Outwardly at the top of his game, inwardly Charles is unraveling at a terrifying rate.

I hesitate to say much about the excellently woven
Lisa Godfrees
Genre: Dystopian

Premise: Charles Graves had a messed up childhood. His mother was taken by the government for her Christian leanings. Now, he and his father both work for the governmental agency whose purpose is to eradicate Christianity. And Charles is good at it. He is a master of disguise and can infiltrate any group to seek out underground churches. As far as the world is concerned, he has it all. But the world doesn’t know about The Dark Man, a sinister puzzle come to life that haunts Char
Caleb Lang
The Dark Man is set in the not to distant future. Charles Graves is charged with hunting down the remaining Christians. While listening to the most influential Christian speaker Graves is impacted by the message and his life is changed. Now he is working against his former employer. The Dark Man from his past speaks to him, trying to get him to only thing of himself and to look out for number one.

I really enjoy The Dark Man. I can't wait to see what Schooley comes up with next.
NormaCenva
Mar 06, 2013 NormaCenva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: christians, sci-fi lovers,
interesting, not breathtaking but still interesting. Nice write up, good dialogues, realistic descriptions. a good read if you have a time and want to look up something spiritually challenging to amuse yourself.
Kevin
Decent read, but too much internal dialogue with too many of the characters. Everyone is talking to themselves. Other than that, I thought the book was not too shabby.
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Caleb Lang
Caleb Lang marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Miss American
Miss American marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Emileigh Latham
Emileigh Latham marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Sheila Becker
Sheila Becker marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
SparksofEmber
SparksofEmber marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Konig's Fire Nightriders Scienda Quarterly Spring 2012 But Who Would Be Dumb Enough To Even Try It Ether Ore