Start by marking “The American Dream: Stories from the Heart of Our Nation” as Want to Read:
The American Dream: Stories from the Heart of Our Nation

The American Dream: Stories from the Heart of Our Nation

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The American Dream is inherently inclusive, and has the power to strike a chord in all of us. It defines us as a people, even as we add to its meaning with each new chapter in our national experience and our individual actions. [This book] is the result of my quest to discover the American dream as your neighbors are creating it today -- I hope that you receive it well. An ...more
Published May 8th 2001 by William Morrow (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The American Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Dream

Tracey
Dec 21, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it
I checked out the audiobook version of The American Dream from the library so I'd have something to listen to on my trip this weekend - if I'm driving by myself, I'd rather listen to talking than music, as it keeps me more alert.

Dan Rather first touched on the concept of exploring the American Dreams of men & women around the country in short segments on the CBS Evening News. He then took the idea and expanded it into this book. Each chapter revolves around a topic such as Service, Fame or
Scott
Jul 18, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I recommend it to everyone - people who were born here, and people who were not. It makes me want to work harder toward nailing down any particular American Dream I might have, or helping others get closer to theirs. I believe that this book will help many to do away with the selfishness and greed that have pervaded our country.
Bonnie
Apr 22, 2009 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
This is an interesting collection of stories that are meant to illustrate a variety of Americans achieving their dreams. Rather picks his stories from real present-day people, and does the narration himself. Some are more engaging than others, and his picks themselves reveal a bit of a bias, as if he wants you to believe these "dreams" are more noteworthy than others. I listened to the audio, and I got a bit tired of his voice, perhaps because it was a documentary-style book.
Jena
Jan 19, 2011 Jena rated it liked it
Divided into these categories, of what people strive for in America:
Freedom
Work and Wealth
The Pursuit of Happiness
Family
The Spotlight
Education
Innovation
Service to Others

Chris Gardener is in this book, as is Michael A. Cruz, and Amarillo boy whose dad worked at Pantex, and Deborah Cline, who grows her own garden and helps with the Lubbock Food Bank.

Very inspiring book.
ABC
Oct 16, 2010 ABC rated it liked it
Shelves: teens-and-adults
This is collection of various Americans' stories. They are mildly interesting. (Some more so than others.) One problem is that pretty much all the stories follow the same exact pattern: person has huge adversity in life, overcomes that adversity to achieve something notable.
JaNae
Sep 26, 2011 JaNae rated it liked it
Listened to Dan Rather read his own book. Enjoyed hearing the stories he shared and liked the insights he added.
Steve Lane
May 08, 2013 Steve Lane rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book
I thought I would enjoy Dan Rather in an audio book but after awhile it just seemed to drone on and on.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 09, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good!
Muhammad Sulaiman
Muhammad Sulaiman rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Adam Cavanaugh
Adam Cavanaugh marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sketchycat8
Sketchycat8 rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Melanie Wilkins
Melanie Wilkins marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Saahir
Saahir marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Lee
Lee added it
Feb 09, 2016
Heidi Wigdahl
Heidi Wigdahl marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
David
David added it
Apr 12, 2016
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Caitlin Russotti
Caitlin Russotti marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Paul English
Paul English rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
202937
Daniel Irvin Rather, Jr. is a former news anchor for the CBS Evening News and is now managing editor and anchor of a television news magazine, Dan Rather Reports, on the cable channel HDNet. Rather was anchor of the CBS Evening News for 24 years, from March 9, 1981 to March 9, 2005. He also contributed to CBS' 60 Minutes. Rather left CBS Evening News in 2005 and the network itself in 2006. On Sept ...more
More about Dan Rather...