Start by marking “A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog” as Want to Read:
A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog

A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog (A Boy, a Dog and a Frog)

A boy and his dog go walking in the swamp.They spot a frog in the water.

Can they use a net to catch him?
Published June 2nd 2003 by Dial Books (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog

Skylar Burris
Jul 20, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a picture book that tells a cute, funny story without any words. I like it because it enables my daughter to practice telling her own stories and using her own vocabulary as she narrates the events to me. I also like it because she likes to "read" books to her "babies," but she's not old enough to actually read. She enjoys "reading" them this book. The pictures are well drawn and fun to look at.
Jordan
Sep 30, 2015 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
I really like this book. It reminded me of when I was a little kid and my brother and I would catch frogs on our land. The author did a good job of making it easy to follow the illustrations, its very clear what's happening through the whole story. I also likes that all the illustrations are in black and white. The black and white kind of makes it seem like the little boy lives in a simpler time when kids took their dos down to the river to catch frogs instead of playing video games.
Karen
Apr 18, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Reading frog books for our unit study of frogs. We found some tadpoles on our nature hike at Pipes Canyon and brought some home to watch them grow into frogs. This has been an amazing experience already. Dad is totally into it. We are now looking into making a frog pond in a section of our rabbit and garden area in the backyard.
Lynn Plourde
May 19, 2014 Lynn Plourde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
A clever, simple, wordless treasure. A boy tries hard to catch a frog in his net, but instead he nets his dog as the frog hops proudly away, until . . . The frog realizes he is lonely, and he hops to find the boy and dog in their tub!
Taylor Boik
Oct 23, 2016 Taylor Boik rated it really liked it
A boy, a dog, and a frog by Mercer Mayer, to start off when I first picked up this book I noticed how simple the cover was with just a sketch like drawing with very little color and I thought to myself "This book looks different than the rest of these bright colorful books". It did end up being different but a good different! In this wordless picture book it tells the story of a boy and his dog walking through the forest when they spot a frog in the pond. It shows the boy and his dog coming up ...more
Marissa
This book would be great for a pre-school/pre-k age group.

In "A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog" a young boy is seen walking with his dog when he sees something. The boy sees a frog! The boy is then seen with a net very close to the frog. You won't believe what happens next; you'll have to read to find out! :)

Great book, I love Mercer Mayer's work. The set up of this book seems easy for a child to be able to understand and I like that the characters are simple and easily identifiable to a young child.

Th
Diane
Sep 29, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
Love, love, love this expert telling of a story merely via illustrations -- beautiful illustrations. My first reading of this book had me in tears with laughter. This and the other books in this series are brilliant and delightful and almost completely unknown. They are children's books, but I think the finely nuanced emotions depicted in the expressions of the boy and (especially) his pet friends are lost on young children. That is its tragedy and beauty. But don't let that sway you from pickin ...more
Samantha Robbins
Sep 25, 2016 Samantha Robbins rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! It tells a cute and nice story about, well, a boy, a dog, and a frog without using any words. The illustrations are wonderfully drawn, with fantastic detail and imaginative settings that any child would enjoy. It teaches children how to recognize stories through analyzing the pictures and not having it being explain to them in words. It is great for early readers, or just anyone who loves looking at the wonderful art style.
Josiah
May 18, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok
We go back to 1967 for the first picture book of Mercer Mayer's illustrious career in kid lit, and it's a good first book. Using only black-and-white drawings to tell the tale, with not a single word to obfuscate the narrative, Mercer Mayer relates the story of a boy and his dog on a mission to catch a frog one typical summer's day, and how they gain more than a temporarily captive amphibian out of the deal.

Boy and dog are eager to race into the pond pell-mell after they spot the perfect frog
Reese Januik
Oct 01, 2015 Reese Januik rated it it was amazing
Mercer Mayer’s wordless picture book A Boy, A Dog and a Frog is a very cute story of a boy and a dog going on a trip to a stream, where they meet a frog. While trying to catch the frog they keep having issues. First they trip over a log, then the boy catches the dog, and the frog continuously escapes the net. The facial expressions on the frog are very detailed, at the beginning the frog is mad that they keep trying to catch him, but when they walk away he suddenly becomes very sad, ...more
Brooke
Nov 10, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
This wordless book supplies amble opportunities for children to engage in language, thus helping young children develop their language and literacy by correlating words with the pictures to describe what is transpiring on each page. The detailed illustrations are subject to the interpretation of young readers as they observe the pages to make meaning of what is taking place. This is a very effective book to use with emergent bilinguals, as they can examine the pictures presented in the story to ...more
Kelley
Sep 25, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it
Critique- Picture Book/Wordless

A story told entirely in pictures of a little boy and his dog, and their attempt to catch a frog. A.) This is a great book for predictability. Each page is a snapshot of a step in the attempt of the boy and his dog to catch the frog. In a read-aloud situation a reader could easily ask the student what they thought might happen in the next picture. B.) The author and illustrator keeps the pictures simple. Since the story is really about the characters, the backgroun
Jami Moore
Nov 05, 2015 Jami Moore rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books to read with early readers. It is about a boy and his dog who go to a swamp. They spot a frog in the water and try to catch him, but keep failing. Eventually they give up and head home. The frog ends up alone and sad. Read this book to see what happens at the end!

This book has no words, just pictures. The reader has to use the pictures to figure out what is happening. The illustrations are very clear and beautiful, making it easy for anybody, including an early r
Sue
Title: A Boy, A Dpg. A Frog and a Friend
Author: Mercer and Marianna Mayer
Genre: Children’s

Challenges: To Be Continued…Challenge, PB & J Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, What an Animal II, Read and Review Challenge 2010, Young Readers Reading Challenge 2010, 2010 Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge, 100 + Reading Challenge, Pages Read 2010, A to Z challenge, What An Animal III Challenge, 1st In A Series

Rating: 4/5
No. of Pages: 32
Published: 1971

Back Cover: First came a bo
Margaret Chind
We looked through this one in our The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud. It was one of our Sonlight P3/4 choices and I'm not quite sure what I think. Being a wordless storybook I think perhaps the pictures should be larger and I'm not sure how they would appear in this book outside of the treasury. We will have to try to see another time but this might be an instance of another book that doesn't work out well to this compact method. The idea of a book ...more
Ali Wilcox
Sep 12, 2012 Ali Wilcox rated it liked it
Shelves: wordless-book
"A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog" by Mercer Mayer is a great example of how you can know what is going on in a story without reading any words. Because of the illustrations, this book is very easy to understand and to follow. I think young kids would really like this book because the illustrations have humor with them as the boy is trying desperately to catch this frog. One thing that caught my eye was the facial expressions on the characters used throughout the book. The facial expressions that Mercer ...more
Lauren Grosch
Feb 08, 2016 Lauren Grosch rated it it was amazing
A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog tells the story of a little boy and his dog. They start out on a fishing trip but when they stop to take a break, they see a frog. The boy runs after it to try and catch it but trips into the lake instead. He tries to catch it again but ends up catching his dog instead. Eventually the boy and the dog leave and the frog gets lonely. He follows the boys footsteps to his house and joins them in the bathtub.
I thought A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog was a good book. The illustratio
Marie Cahill
Apr 14, 2013 Marie Cahill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ltcy-504
A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog is a beautifully illustrated wordless picture book by Mercer Mayer. A boy and his dog walk to the pond seeking adventure. With a bucket and net in hand, the boy and his dog aim to capture an unsuspecting frog. After a string of hilarious failed attempts, the boy and his dog make for home soaked to the core. Once they are gone, Frog realizes that being alone is not all it's cracked up to be. He decides to follow the soggy trail left behind by the Boy and Dog. Will he find ...more
Tayler Bingham
Jul 20, 2015 Tayler Bingham rated it really liked it
Mayer, Mercer. A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog. New York: Dial Press, 1967. Wordless picture book. This is the story of a boy and his dog who go to the lake to have some fun. There they find a frog they try to catch, but end up failing. The fro ends up being lonely and follows them home and jumps in the tub with them. The author uses a small picture book format in which there are purely black and white illustrations. The illustrations are all you need to see the story, and the reader is left as to no ...more
Amber Fisher
This wordless picture book illustrates a slap-stick comedy through the pages. Mercer Mayer’s illustrations are beautiful and very simplistic. The story is about a young boy and his dog are eager to capture a frog and begin the battle to capture one. Unlikely events take place, making the boy and dog unhappy, but the frog decides to build a friendship with the boy and his dog in the end. This book demonstrates making new friendships that would have unlikely happened. I would use this book to help ...more
Yiovana
Oct 29, 2015 Yiovana rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, although it does not have any words you can make up the story by looking at the pictures. It's about a boy and a dog who try to catch a frog, but the frog doesn't let them and so the boy and dog decide to leave. The frog feels bad and goes after them and ends up finding their house. In the end all 3 are friends. I believe children can find this story funny and entertaining, they can make up their own story and be asked questions like "what do you think will happen ...more
Krysten
Feb 03, 2009 Krysten rated it really liked it
Summary: A little boy and his dog go to a pond to catch a frog, but gets frustrated after many failed attempts. He leaves the pond and the frog feels alone, so he follows the boy and his dog home and takes a bath with them.
Evaluation: I really liked this story and how it was told completely through illustration. I felt for the boy and the frog, even though there were no words. I like how the reader gets to imagine what is being said and thought.
Dominick
Sep 13, 2014 Dominick rated it really liked it
This wordless book is quite lovely, really. it's a simple tale of a doy and dog who go into the swamp, hunt a frog who does not want to be caught, and then go home frustrated, only to be followed by the frog, who is lonely without their company. The pictures are gorgeous and tell the story absolutely clearly, despite the absence of words, through Mayer's expert page layout and subtle characterization skills. Delightful.
Samantha
Apr 15, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Although the black and white illustrations first made me think this wordless book wouldn't be as "exciting" as some of today's flashier picture books, the story was wonderful. The detailed pictures conveyed the story so well (particularly the expressions on the faces of the characters, including the dog and the frog) that I could almost hear a story being told in my head. Sweet ending to a story that shows the rambunctiousness and fun of childhood.
Tiffany Brown
I enjoyed the story within the pictures of this book, the journey that a boy and his dog have trying to catch a frog. The boy is walking with his dog, when they spot a frog. Will they catch that frog or will they just not get close enough? Find out in this story with no words. This is a great story to assist in teaching students to infer based on what they see. The students would be able to create a story for the pictures based on their inference.
Kathy
May 03, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: easy-readers
A very cute book told only with pictures, of a boy and his dog visiting a pond where they see a frog. The frog watches them, and avoids being caught in the boys net. After they leave, the frog is clearly lonely and then it takes action to find some friends! Good for kids starting to think of reading, as there is a clear storyline.
Tawnya Yardley
Apr 30, 2009 Tawnya Yardley rated it liked it
I read this book with my nephew too. Actually, he read it to me. It was a fun wordless book and is easy for children to follow the pictures to tell the story. However, I think if the pictures were brighter it would be more appealing to children. But overall, if you like wordless books or want a child to read to you for a change, this is the book for you.
Sherry Thornberry
There are no words in this book just great illustrations that allow the reader to infer the story by taking a picture walk. I found the story to be great in that at first it would seem that the boy and the dog are antagonizing the frog but in the end when the boy and dog have to go home, the frog follows because he enjoys their company and wants to be with them.
Katie
Jul 09, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faiths-books
A great, word-less book. Charming pictures drawn in pencil, great expressions. Faith and I had no trouble figuring out this humorous story. It was great to be able teach her about rhyme with log, frog and dog.
Melanie
Jul 10, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely wonderful picture book by Mercer Meyer, author and illustrator of the Little Critter series. The story is told without words, only through adorable illustrations. Its about a little boy and his dog who set out to catch a frog. Very, very cute!
MCC Children's Li...: Picture book 1 1 Apr 19, 2012 09:55PM
MCC Children's Li...: A boy, a dog, and a frog- Challice 1 1 Apr 19, 2012 09:48PM
  • Rainstorm
  • Sidewalk Circus
  • Bow-Wow Bugs a Bug
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • The Flower Man
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

A Boy, a Dog and a Frog (6 books)
  • Frog Goes to Dinner