Start by marking “A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)” as Want to Read:
A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)

A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Frank wasn't satisfied doing ordinary frog things. He wanted to fly, but he was a frog and frogs can't fly. Follow along as Frank jumps and runs and leaps and dives until he finally finds his place in the pond. The companion book on cd will transport you and your child into Frank's world with sound effects and wonderful performances by children and adults.

Book Details: For
Published May 18th 2006 by Kidwick Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Frog Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Frog Thing

Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelFrog and Toad Together by Arnold LobelThe Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher by Beatrix PotterA Frog in the Bog by Karma WilsonDays with Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
Best Books About Frogs/Toads
53rd out of 94 books — 23 voters
Zen Shorts by Jon J. MuthExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettOver and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Wall by Peter SísEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. Sterling
Best Artwork in Children's Books
50th out of 97 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandie
Oct 01, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book and its lesson that you can do anything you set your mind, too. Even the impossible has an answer....it gives a fresh viewpoint on that old saying of where there is a will, there is a way!

The pictures are adorable, Frankie the Frog is adorable as well!

I like that his parents have encouraged them but when they think something is impossible because Frankie is a frog they explain to him gently why they think he cannot accomplish his dream of flying. But Frankie doe
Carmen Nibali
Apr 16, 2015 Carmen Nibali rated it it was amazing
“A Frog Thing” is about a little frog named Frank. He wasn't satisfied doing ordinary “frog” things. He wanted to fly like the birds. In the story Frank jumps, leaps and dives trying to fly. He soon meets a friend who helps him fly and realizes it’s okay to be ordinary. The genre of this story is a picture book. The illustrations on each page are filled with detailed pictures of pond life and nature. I love this story and the cd version that comes along with it. My son (five) also loves it and ...more
Christen
Oct 28, 2015 Christen rated it really liked it
The picturebook app of this book is about a young frog who wants to fly. His parents tell him he can do any "frog thing" he puts his mind to, but he is determined to fly. After rescuing a baby bird by swimming, the mama bird thanks the frog by taking him on a flight of his own. The story is appealing to young readers. It is narrated with a clear expressive voice and well timed with good pacing. Each character in the book is given a different "voice." Words are highlighted as they are read so you ...more
Stephanie Foote
May 12, 2016 Stephanie Foote rated it it was amazing
A Frog Thing written by Eric Drachman and illustrated by James Muscarello is a picture book that is also and audio book. This book is a Benjamin Franklin Award winner and I rated it 5 stars because it teaches that you can do anything that you want to do within reason. Meaning, that humans may want to fly and they can fly with the help of an airplane. This book is intended for ages 3 and above. This book tells the story of a frog named Frank who desperately wants to fly. However, Frank knows that ...more
Elizabeth Brown
This book reminded me of the book about the train who wanted to do something but couldn't at first. He kept trying until he was able to. This book teaches an important lesson for children to learn, you can do whatever you put your mind to. Frank the frog was determined to fly even though he did not have wings. He eventually figured out a way to do what he wanted to do. Which is an example of why I think this book can be used for discussing problem solving. Other topics I think this book will be ...more
Melanie
Franks wants to fly. Frank really wants to fly. Frank is a frog. Frogs don't fly. Even after his parents explain to him that flying just isn't a frog thing Frank doesn't give up.

He gets his chance after saving a baby bird from drowning. The mother bird is so grateful she agrees to help Frank fly. After rounding up another adult bird to help the mother bird has Frank hold onto a twig held between the two birds. Together the birds take Frank flying.

I love this story. It shows that anything is poss
Alice
Mar 20, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars, 4-stars
After hating half of the 10 books I reviewed yesterday 9/10/13, and not doing much better the week before I thought I was maybe I being too cynical, and critical or did the books just stink?

I kept thinking, I want to read a really good book, there has to be a really good book to read in this library I can read today. HERE IT IS!

This book was very nice!!! The story is very sweat, without being sappy!. I love how the Frog worked hard for his dream to fly, but I love that his kind parents say " Yo
Paula Heller
We can do anything if we set our mind at it. This books shows children and reminds parents that we can do and become anything we want to be if we work hard enough for it. The book also shows children that we all do things in our own way; we all have a different purpose in life and our own skills to get us there. The story teaches children how to think of different ways to accomplish a goal, and how to believe in ourselves and even in our loved ones.

Ina
Mar 07, 2016 Ina rated it really liked it
Frank the Frog dreams big. Simple text and breathtaking illustrations tell his story. His parents, who told him he could do anything, had to explain that there are limitations in life when Frank declares he wants to fly. "That's a bird thing," they tell him and remind him that he is a frog and so he should want to do "Frog things." Frank does get a chance to experience flight, but in the end he determines to be the best swimmer in the pond.
Gricel
Jan 19, 2015 Gricel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: perseverance
This is a great choice to read to children to encourage perseverance and problem solving. The main message of the book is that if you have a clear and strong desire to do something, you will find the way to do it by yourself or with others help. It is a very well illustrated book with audio to enhance children's experience. Age 4-9.
Holly N.
Determination and self-efficacy are the important messages in A Frog Thing by Eric Drachman. Even though people laughed at him, Frank was not discouraged and found a different way to carry out his goal. I think many young children can relate to Frank in this matter. This book is a great tool for teaching children about perseverance and resilience, which are postive character traits that can lead to academic success.
Chantana
I actually read this book in my class today. I was so excited to read this book because it has so much character. This book tells of the determination of a young frog who wants to fly. The message in this story is a very strong captivating message that shows how anything can be achieved if you keep an open positive mind.
Keren
Jun 05, 2014 Keren rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
Frog wanted to do something that was not typical on his kind. This book shows determination. No matter how much others told him he could not he still dreamed. this is a great book to inspire children to focus on their dreams. It worked out for frog in the end. Not how he thought it would, but this led him to realize that he was special being himself.
Yohan Choi
* This book teaches young readers that you never be discouraged by the people who say "You can't do it."

* This book is good for learning cooperation and have friendship with others.

* Be ambitious!
Maggie KutsBorg
Jun 06, 2014 Maggie KutsBorg rated it really liked it
A long read but super. I love the illustrations and the calm, optimistic feeling of it. It's also an app by Oceanhouse Media that is amazing - I shared it at iTots storytime and the whole crowd, age 2-5, was mesmerized.
Monae
Jun 09, 2014 Monae rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
The sky is the limit. I like how this book gives the example of don't give up. As human or animals we have our own purpose. Some animals are meant to fly, some are meant to jump, and some are meant to run. The frog didn't believe that he couldn't do fly and was determined to do it until it was done. It may not have ben the actual way but eventually he was able to fly
Kerrin  Mountcastle
May 02, 2014 Kerrin Mountcastle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: small-books
This is so cute! I love how it proves that anyone can do absolutely ANYTHING THEY WANT!! Even if you are a frog. :)
Krysta King
Feb 21, 2015 Krysta King rated it it was amazing
A great book for uniqueness and determination and helping others to achieve their goals.
Catherine
Apr 26, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
This book has great pictures and a cute story about following your dreams.
Wendy
Oct 18, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE if you really truly want it!
Katherine Cowley
Aug 10, 2011 Katherine Cowley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A frog decides he wants to fly, and his parents have to explain that when they said he could anything he wanted, they meant any "frog thing". I loved this book--it's The Little Engine that Could meets the real world. It says, embrace your dreams, but in a way that helps children (and adults) understand that there are limits and happiness is found within the right expectations.
Kell*
Dec 04, 2007 Kell* rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2-3 independent
Shelves: fantasy
Obviosly my rating reflects how much I loved this book. I love how it encourages students to accomplish things to their best ability. I would love to incorporate goal setting into my classroom for each student and this would be a great introduction to that lesson. This story is about a family of frogs and the youngest sets his heart on flying.
Debee
Jul 10, 2012 Debee rated it it was amazing
Great story line... Encourages one to think outside the box and test out those dreams...
The accompanying CD makes this story even richer! Love the voices & background sounds.
When I presented this book to my students it was quickly a favorite that was shared over & over again!
A must have for any frog fan.. Regardless of age.
Leah
Frank wants to fly, but finds he is faced with an obstacle that he can't overcome. When he is put in a situation where he must swim to save a baby bird, the mama bird repays him by taking him for a ride. He realizes that, although he can't do everything, what he can do is certainly special.

Great illustrations!
Stephanie Zamora
Jul 02, 2011 Stephanie Zamora rated it really liked it
This was a great children's book. The illustrations in the book were amazing and so beautiful. I also loved the theme of the story. This book teaches children that we may not be able to do everything, but we can still excel at the things we are made to do. All we need is the determination to keep trying.
Samantha Bowser
Dec 04, 2012 Samantha Bowser rated it it was amazing
A frog that wants to fly sounds as interesting as it raining cats and dogs. This book was very well written and a great lesson for kids. It teaches them that they can do anything within reason. Everyone has his/her talents and they should use them. This was a fun book to read in the modern fantasy section!
Sandybear76
A frog dreams and wants to big things. This frog wants to fly but it is not a frog thing to do. His parents tell him that he can do anything that is a frog thing like swim and hop but flying is not possible for a frog. But this little frog wants to fly and finds a way to do it.
Ledawn
Jul 28, 2010 Ledawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nominated for a CYRM in 2009-10 (didn't win but would have been MY pick of of that year's nominees). Cute story about trying to live your dreams while realizing it's good to just be who you are. It came with a CD that younger children LOVE to hear.
Beck
Sep 05, 2009 Beck rated it liked it
Cute, odd-looking frogs. Rewards good deeds, thinking outside the box and aiming high. The end wasn't so great, though...I'm not sure I like the moral of the story.

I haven't listened to the CD yet.
Thimbleberry
Sep 22, 2008 Thimbleberry rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is great to read to kids since it talks about determination, and other good stuff. But mostly I love it for the illustrations. Such good expressions on a frog!
  • Chicks and Salsa