A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)

A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Frank wasn't satisfied doing ordinary frog things. He wanted to fly, but he was a frog and frogs can't fly. Follow along as Frank jumps and runs and leaps and dives until he finally finds his place in the pond. The companion book on cd will transport you and your child into Frank's world with sound effects and wonderful performances by children and adults.

Book Details: For...more
Published May 18th 2006 by Kidwick Books

Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelFrog and Toad Together by Arnold LobelThe Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher by Beatrix PotterFive Little Speckled Frogs by Nikki SmithRayne Shines by Bonnie Ferrante
Best Books About Frogs/Toads
32nd out of 37 books — 13 voters
Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettZen Shorts by Jon J. MuthOver and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Wall by Peter SísEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. Sterling
Best Artwork in Children's Books
45th out of 94 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandie
I really, really liked this book and its lesson that you can do anything you set your mind, too. Even the impossible has an answer....it gives a fresh viewpoint on that old saying of where there is a will, there is a way!

The pictures are adorable, Frankie the Frog is adorable as well!

I like that his parents have encouraged them but when they think something is impossible because Frankie is a frog they explain to him gently why they think he cannot accomplish his dream of flying. But Frankie doe...more
Elizabeth Brown
This book reminded me of the book about the train who wanted to do something but couldn't at first. He kept trying until he was able to. This book teaches an important lesson for children to learn, you can do whatever you put your mind to. Frank the frog was determined to fly even though he did not have wings. He eventually figured out a way to do what he wanted to do. Which is an example of why I think this book can be used for discussing problem solving. Other topics I think this book will be...more
Melanie
Franks wants to fly. Frank really wants to fly. Frank is a frog. Frogs don't fly. Even after his parents explain to him that flying just isn't a frog thing Frank doesn't give up.

He gets his chance after saving a baby bird from drowning. The mother bird is so grateful she agrees to help Frank fly. After rounding up another adult bird to help the mother bird has Frank hold onto a twig held between the two birds. Together the birds take Frank flying.

I love this story. It shows that anything is poss...more
Alice
After hating half of the 10 books I reviewed yesterday 9/10/13, and not doing much better the week before I thought I was maybe I being too cynical, and critical or did the books just stink?

I kept thinking, I want to read a really good book, there has to be a really good book to read in this library I can read today. HERE IT IS!

This book was very nice!!! The story is very sweat, without being sappy!. I love how the Frog worked hard for his dream to fly, but I love that his kind parents say " Yo...more
Paula Heller
We can do anything if we set our mind at it. This books shows children and reminds parents that we can do and become anything we want to be if we work hard enough for it. The book also shows children that we all do things in our own way; we all have a different purpose in life and our own skills to get us there. The story teaches children how to think of different ways to accomplish a goal, and how to believe in ourselves and even in our loved ones.

Holly N.
Determination and self-efficacy are the important messages in A Frog Thing by Eric Drachman. Even though people laughed at him, Frank was not discouraged and found a different way to carry out his goal. I think many young children can relate to Frank in this matter. This book is a great tool for teaching children about perseverance and resilience, which are postive character traits that can lead to academic success.
Chantana
I actually read this book in my class today. I was so excited to read this book because it has so much character. This book tells of the determination of a young frog who wants to fly. The message in this story is a very strong captivating message that shows how anything can be achieved if you keep an open positive mind.
Keren
Frog wanted to do something that was not typical on his kind. This book shows determination. No matter how much others told him he could not he still dreamed. this is a great book to inspire children to focus on their dreams. It worked out for frog in the end. Not how he thought it would, but this led him to realize that he was special being himself.
Yohan Choi
* This book teaches young readers that you never be discouraged by the people who say "You can't do it."

* This book is good for learning cooperation and have friendship with others.

* Be ambitious!
Maggie KutsBorg
A long read but super. I love the illustrations and the calm, optimistic feeling of it. It's also an app by Oceanhouse Media that is amazing - I shared it at iTots storytime and the whole crowd, age 2-5, was mesmerized.
Monae
The sky is the limit. I like how this book gives the example of don't give up. As human or animals we have our own purpose. Some animals are meant to fly, some are meant to jump, and some are meant to run. The frog didn't believe that he couldn't do fly and was determined to do it until it was done. It may not have ben the actual way but eventually he was able to fly
Kerrin  Mountcastle
This is so cute! I love how it proves that anyone can do absolutely ANYTHING THEY WANT!! Even if you are a frog. :)
Kathy Cowley
A frog decides he wants to fly, and his parents have to explain that when they said he could anything he wanted, they meant any "frog thing". I loved this book--it's The Little Engine that Could meets the real world. It says, embrace your dreams, but in a way that helps children (and adults) understand that there are limits and happiness is found within the right expectations.
Kell*
Dec 04, 2007 Kell* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2-3 independent
Shelves: fantasy
Obviosly my rating reflects how much I loved this book. I love how it encourages students to accomplish things to their best ability. I would love to incorporate goal setting into my classroom for each student and this would be a great introduction to that lesson. This story is about a family of frogs and the youngest sets his heart on flying.
Debee
Great story line... Encourages one to think outside the box and test out those dreams...
The accompanying CD makes this story even richer! Love the voices & background sounds.
When I presented this book to my students it was quickly a favorite that was shared over & over again!
A must have for any frog fan.. Regardless of age.
Leah
Frank wants to fly, but finds he is faced with an obstacle that he can't overcome. When he is put in a situation where he must swim to save a baby bird, the mama bird repays him by taking him for a ride. He realizes that, although he can't do everything, what he can do is certainly special.

Great illustrations!
Stephanie Zamora
This was a great children's book. The illustrations in the book were amazing and so beautiful. I also loved the theme of the story. This book teaches children that we may not be able to do everything, but we can still excel at the things we are made to do. All we need is the determination to keep trying.
Samantha Bowser
A frog that wants to fly sounds as interesting as it raining cats and dogs. This book was very well written and a great lesson for kids. It teaches them that they can do anything within reason. Everyone has his/her talents and they should use them. This was a fun book to read in the modern fantasy section!
Sandybear76
A frog dreams and wants to big things. This frog wants to fly but it is not a frog thing to do. His parents tell him that he can do anything that is a frog thing like swim and hop but flying is not possible for a frog. But this little frog wants to fly and finds a way to do it.
Ledawn
Nominated for a CYRM in 2009-10 (didn't win but would have been MY pick of of that year's nominees). Cute story about trying to live your dreams while realizing it's good to just be who you are. It came with a CD that younger children LOVE to hear.
Beck
Cute, odd-looking frogs. Rewards good deeds, thinking outside the box and aiming high. The end wasn't so great, though...I'm not sure I like the moral of the story.

I haven't listened to the CD yet.
Thimbleberry
I love this book! It is great to read to kids since it talks about determination, and other good stuff. But mostly I love it for the illustrations. Such good expressions on a frog!
Jennie Smith
Such a cute book. We all have our limits but sometimes we don't see them as clearly as others do. Then... we get a break and learn something new! Cute book and LOVE the CD!
Alida
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-2
Shelves: picturebook
This was by read aloud book. It is about a frog that wants to fly. It is a cute book with great illustrations. I would use this for a frog unit.
Cristina
A frog dreams of being able to fly. He tries and tries, until he does a good deed and is helped out by some birds. Simple, true writing.
Tyanne
Nov 27, 2007 Tyanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-3rd
Shelves: picturebook
so cute, explaining limitations, goals, setting your mind on something and going for it and also being a good citizen.
Miri
Really cute! I love the frog's face when he's up with the birds! And the illustrations are so pretty.
Tessa
If I could give this book ten stars, I would! The illustrations are fantastic, the text is wonderful!
Cathy
Cute book with a special message on recognizing and developing individual strengths.
Angela
This is one very hopeful frog! I love the adventurous ending...it was a surprise.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leo the Lightning Bug Ellison the Elephant (with Audio CD) Bad Rats (with Audio CD) It's Me! (with Audio CD)