Start by marking “Reckoning at Eagle Creek: The Secret Legacy of Coal in the Heartland” as Want to Read:
Reckoning at Eagle Creek: The Secret Legacy of Coal in the Heartland

Reckoning at Eagle Creek: The Secret Legacy of Coal in the Heartland

Cultural historian Jeff Biggers takes us to the dark amphitheatre ruins of his family’s nearly 200-year-old hillside homestead that has been strip-mined on the edge of the first federally recognized Wilderness Site in southern Illinois. In doing so, he not only comes to grips with his own denied backwoods heritage, but also chronicles a dark and missing chapter in the Am
Published January 26th 2010 by Nation Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reckoning at Eagle Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckoning at Eagle Creek

David
Jan 27, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book is a good overview of the history of coal mining in Illinois, but its main focus is the region of southern Illinois around Eagle Creek. Just south of Eagle Creek, the Shawnee National Forest holds some of the most beautiful land in Illinois. I've hiked through a lot of that land over the last 20 years but I never knew the ravages of the coal industry were so close. This book was a real eye-opener for me.

A few minor complaints: a book which describes the importance of place should real
Nancy
Jul 14, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Everyone from southern Illinois should buy and read this book.

Everyone from north of I-70 who likes to snort haughtily and feel superior to those from southern Illinois, dismissed as hillbillies, should buy and read this book. You might learn something.

Everyone who's heard of this FutureGen foolishness being crammed down our throats here in Illinois should buy and read this book.

Everyone who fails to understand why unions matter should buy and read this book.

Everyone who refuses to get out of t
Jean Mehochko
Dec 23, 2016 Jean Mehochko rated it really liked it
Very interesting to me because of Eagle Creek's proximity to our hometown as well as the fact that a coal mine processing plant is now located a mile from our house. Very alarming because of the devastation wrought by strip mining at Eagle Creek as well as the State of Illinois' consistent turning a blind eye to this devastation. It pretty much confirms what I feel still going on today. Lots of ancient history and 20th century history here, detailing just how much has been lost in southern Illin ...more
Alan Mills
Oct 27, 2013 Alan Mills rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent history of the battle between big coal and the people of Southern Illinois. Whites were first drawn to Southern Illinois by salt. Coal was readily available, and was useful in processing the salt. But with the industrial revolution, the extraction of coal became the priority.

Southern Illinois lead the radical organized resistance nationally by coal miners against coal company exploitation. Mother Jones started her long career as an organizer in Southern Illinois and insisted on being b
Jim Manis
Aug 07, 2015 Jim Manis rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A ringing and poetic condemnation of two hundred years of environmental and human exploitation of the Illinois coal regions. I've been to the Eagle Creek area a number of times. Biggers' description is spot on.
DeArryka Williams
Nov 19, 2015 DeArryka Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
One of the more interesting books I have read in my History classes. I learned a lot that I didn't know about an area not too far from me and got a refresher course on the evils of global warming.
Elyse83
Oct 17, 2015 Elyse83 rated it really liked it
Lyrical, part family memoir and state memoir. I learned about the coal industry in Southern Illinois and Appalachia. The book is making me reconsider how I use my energy every day.
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
May 31, 2011
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Dustin Wax
Dustin Wax rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Lesley  Hogan
Lesley Hogan rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2010
Jim Bremser
Jim Bremser rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Julie
Apr 17, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
Boring.
DeArryka Williams
DeArryka Williams rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
J
J rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Camille
Camille rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Patti Murrin
Patti Murrin rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Lance Houser
Lance Houser rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2010
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Colin Eykamp
Colin Eykamp rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
E Walburg
E Walburg rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011