Start by marking “Life on Another Planet” as Want to Read:
Life on Another Planet

Life on Another Planet

Following his highly acclaimed A Contract with God, which initiated the modern graphic novel, Will Eisner came back in 1978 with this fast-paced, engaging tale of espionage and power. When a signal from intelligent life in outer space is received here on Earth, it triggers a mad race for information and power. At the center of it all is CIA operative Jim Bludd, who is forc ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by DC Comics (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Life on Another Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on Another Planet

Greta

Life On Another Planet, also known as Signal from Space, is a science fiction graphic novel by Will Eisner.
The story was first published in serial form from October 1978 through December 1980 under the title Signal From Space, first in the Kitchen Sink Press title Spirit Magazine and later on the Will Eisner Quarterly. It has been then republished in colour in 1995 under the same title, and later in black and white with its current title, by Kitchen Sink Press.

It was originally collected as a c
Hannah Messler
Jan 13, 2009 Hannah Messler rated it really liked it
I like the 0ther 0nes better, but I think that is mainly c0z I am a peas-baby when it c0mes t0 sci-fi. (Erm, that just means like h0w a baby d0es n0t like peas in THE0RY, EVER, but then s0metimes it eats a bunch 0f peas and is like 0h yum! until it realizes it's eating peas and then it spits the icky peas 0ut! . . . that is me and sci-fi.) Anyway I am g0ing t0 read m0re 0f this little fella, he is a real dear.
Mary Grace
Feb 13, 2012 Mary Grace rated it really liked it
Paul
Feb 02, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
Life on Another Planet by Will Eisner is a graphic novel about earth receiving a signal from intelligent life from another planet, and how the people of earth react to the signal. There are several groups who all want different things from this, the U.S. and Russia are in a space race to see who can make contact first; Multinational wants to start a space race between the U.S. and Russia, and a scientist; and an ex-U.S. agent named Bludd wants the world to calm down and work together on respondi ...more
Batmark
Dec 11, 2015 Batmark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi

Life on Another Planet begins with a scientist locating a signal from outer space that seems to prove the existence of life outside our solar system. Instead of launching into a story about First Contact, however, Life on Another Planet instead explores what might have "really" happened if such a signal had been discovered during the Cold War. What follows is a story of political intrigue and personal greed, which shows that perhaps the human race isn't qu
Jeff
May 19, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this graphic novel. The title and theme are a misdirection, suggesting this story has an interstellar component when truly it is a simultaneous criticism of religious fanaticism, corporate capitalism, genetics, globalization, military conflict, mafia, and politics: all in one story.

It seems Eisner was very interested in how humans react not to phenomena, but to being human. Well-drawn novel creates a socio-cultural allegory frustrating our perceptions of Universal
Kushal Srivastava
Mar 09, 2011 Kushal Srivastava rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Holy mother of awesomeness !! Eisner with this legendary graphic novel proves that he is so kickass and such a big fucking genius that if anyone of us had 1 % of his talent we would be holyfuckingcrazy awesome. He blends scifi, politics, cold war, espionage and demerits of nationalism so well along with the beautiful and memorable character and human fraility that is impossible to come unaffected by this book.

If I were to leave for an unknown planet and could keep only5 books, this one would be
Jason
In this case, "another planet" is an Earth which has received its first signal from intelligent life in space. An SF author might have used that as a springboard for ruminations on information theory, xenobiology, and engineering for space exploration, but Eisner was not an SF author. He instead chooses to explore what would happen to those of us here on Earth, or more correctly on an alternate 1978 Cold War Earth with its whacky Sub-Saharan dictators and umbrella-injected ricin assassinations, ...more
Steve Chaput
Mar 27, 2016 Steve Chaput rated it it was amazing
There is a reason that Will Eisner is respected by everyone working in the comics industry. The man continued to progress in his art and writing, never allowing himself to stagnate at a certain stage. Some creators reach a point where they feel successful and allow themselves to become convinced they have reached the pinnacle of what they could do. Eisner never stopped trying to make the graphic arts grow.

When a signal from space is discovered a number of groups and individuals seek to use it f
Mike Raymond
May 29, 2014 Mike Raymond rated it liked it
Life On Another Planet is about a couple of scientist that are working with some type of radio system and then they accidentally hear a signal from what sounds like alien life from a whole other planet. This book was pretty good if you do like anything sci-fi then I would read it, also if you like drama and some action I'd also take a chance at it
Doyle
May 09, 2011 Doyle rated it really liked it
I liked this one more than the other Eisner stories I've read. This one has more action and espionage than Eisner's "immigrants of New York City in the 1920's" stories that he is more popular for, but still manages to create the heartfelt characters that made him the master.
Prctaxman
Jan 24, 2016 Prctaxman rated it really liked it
Eisner is Eisner! This is a graphic novel that was published in 1978. It is not out of date!
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Watch the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street at the same time you read this...bet you double check to make sure all the doors are locked!
Andreea Sociu
Apr 08, 2016 Andreea Sociu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't had so much fun in a long time reading something.
Celil
Oct 30, 2016 Celil rated it really liked it
Andy Weir'in kitabından ne kadar sıkılmışsam artık, bu kitap o kadar iyi geldi ki, tüm Spirit serisini bir seferde okumak ihtiyacı duydum. Eisner'in dediği gibi -klasik bir edebi eser şeklinde kurgulanmış bir Graphic Novel girişimi.
Wes Lisi
Jan 11, 2017 Wes Lisi added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to anyone is interested in politics
This book was about the earth discovering a new planet that has intelligent life. this forces a huge craze to be the first country to the new planet. this would make a cult that feels like they are followers from the planet and a country saying they are a colony of the new planet so they can get out of the debt they were in
Angela
Dec 10, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nah, not as good as anything else by Eisner that I've read. This one felt like Eisner was channeling Frank Miller: it was dark, cynical, political, tone-deaf to anything beyond white guy stuff (ALL of the 3-4 ladies were either sex objects or shrews), and feeling very dated. It was also very talky, which made it a slog to read. Consider Exhibit A:

SO TALKY.

It's weird that Eisner, who was such a force in advancing the medium of graphic novels/comics/comix/"sequential art" would have, well, not rea
Paul Johnson
Mar 10, 2011 Paul Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really wanted to like this comic. The art is great, and there's some fun stuff going on. But I just found myself getting confused and wishing the story would go somewhere Eisner clearly wasn't about to take it. This is a slightly pessimistic view about mankind's reaction to the news the title suggests, with none of the payoff of a cool sci-fi plot. It's all depressed, power-hungry or otherwise twisted people ruining it for everyone, namely the reader. If you like Eisner, you should probably sk ...more
Rosa
At first I couldn't get into this spy/outerspace thriller. It felt like I was following too many characters that I couldn't find a reason to like. However eventually I really started liking Bludd and suddenly the whole thing became more bearable for me. Once I liked one character, watching other characters that I didn't like so much spiral a bit didn't bother me as much. It was interesting to see how many different people were affected in strange ways. The political aspect of the graphic novel w ...more
Shannon
Jul 08, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
I just didn't get into this graphic novel that much, even though I know it's been highly praised by many. I found it difficult to keep the different characters straight in the black and white comic strip. It deals with making first contact with alien life and the race to set up the first colony there. A lot of politcal interplay between the Arab, Russians, and the US. The plot bounced around a lot, with little notice so the reader really has to pay attention.
Mylesgorton
Good enough story which keeps you interested. Of its time in its US vs USSR elements, but does set you thinking how the story would be written nowadays - perhaps switch Islamic State for USSR (or just stick with Russia :) ) and perhaps switch Bashar al Asad for the thinly veiled Idi Amin caricature... Anyhow - worth reading, but not one of the greatest of the graphic novel genre.
Lasse Laitinen
Nov 22, 2015 Lasse Laitinen rated it it was ok
Both naive and cynical. Cynism is an integral part of a "comic noir" espionage thriller, but I don't know where the strange science of sendind probes on 10-year voyages to other stsrs etc. came from to the scifi side of the novel.
Rascal Drrmrmrr
Mar 03, 2015 Rascal Drrmrmrr rated it liked it
I'm really glad I downloaded a huge chunk of this guys collection. This wasn't as great as the couple I've read so far but his illustrations are great and I'm really liking his over all style.
Sylvester
Initially I thought it was a science fiction but turned out to be a cold war political thriller. It was rather silly and tedious, it really had nothing new to contribute to the genre.
Truman
Truman rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Anand
Anand rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2010
Launar
Launar rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Mark Bourne
Mark Bourne rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2011
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7
  • Abandoned Cars
  • Will Eisner: A Dreamer's Life in Comics
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1 (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, #1)
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...