Start by marking “Sophie and Rose” as Want to Read:
Sophie and Rose

Sophie and Rose

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
After she discovers an old doll that had belonged to her mother and her grandmother, Sophie grows to love the doll more and more even though she is missing some hair, gets chocolate-stained, and loses an eye.
Published October 7th 1998 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Sophie and Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie and Rose

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who had or still has a favourite doll or stuffed animal
What a lovely, heartwarming story! Kathryn Lansky's narrative touched me deeply, poignantly and joyfully demonstrating that one's most beloved toys (the toys one takes everywhere, the toys one cherishes) do not have to be (and often are not) new toys, but older toys, special toys (toys that show they have been loved). Sophie's doll Rose reminds me a bit of a favourite stuffed rabbit I had as a child (in fact, I still have that rabbit). I took this rabbit everywhere and like Sophie's Rose, it end ...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 30, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who appreciate beautifully illustrated books, those who love dolls or loved dolls
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
This book is a treasure.

The illustrations are beautiful and detailed, and many pages have multiple illustrations. There is so much to look at in each picture and the art style is so lovely.

The story is very sweet; I found myself very close to tears at points in the story. A girl finds a doll that once belonged to her mother and her grandmother before her, and she names her and grows attached to her. I loved reading about their adventures and misadventures, and I appreciated how the illustrations
Ann
Sweet story of a girl who finds an old doll, and must learn how to play with the fragile doll without breaking it.

But, of course, the doll is loved so much and played with so much that she does end up with a few chips and stains. But through them all she is loved and cared for and adored.

This is almost like a simple pre-Velveteen Rabbit (only not sad since the bond between doll and child is still there) or an old-fashioned Toy Story type tale (with a totally different feel, but the same heart).

D
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who knows/knew the love for a special doll or stuffed animal
Oh, wow! This one just about brought tears to my eyes. This is the sweet, simple story of that deep love between a girl and her doll (no matter (or, perhaps, because of!) how old, tattered, patched and dirty the doll may become). Lovely, and the illustrations fit perfectly.
David
Nov 25, 2011 David rated it liked it
Sophie and Rose by Kathryn Lasky, illustrated by Wendy Anderson Halperin follows the experiences shared by Sophie and Rose, the old doll owned by her Grandmother and mother.

Sophie grows to love her doll Rose, even while Rose developed a bald spot, got a chipped nose, became permanently chocolate stained and loses an eye when left outside all night.

This is a simple and sweet story of how Rose becomes Sophie's companion through imagination and adventures.

Halperin's illustrations, done in pencil an
Dolly
Jan 14, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Finally got ahold of a copy of Sophie and Rose - it certainly reminded me of Dahlia. I think that it's great that the doll was beloved by three generations of young girls and that Sophie was not afraid to play with the doll. I loved the illustrations and was reminded of Wendy Anderson Halperin's illustrations for the Cobble Street Cousins series. We really enjoyed reading this book together!

This book was featured as one of the selections for the Toys themed reads for the Picture-Book Club in the
Jenny
Dec 21, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Beautiful story of a girl and her porcelain doll. She cares for it and loves it. There are some accidents (such as a tiny chip on the doll's nose and the loss of an eye) but the love endures and only makes the doll more precious to her. Beautiful illustrations with lots of details.
Miriam
Jan 18, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Apparently my siblings and I were abnormal in our ability to play with our toys without wrecking them. I know that's not the point of this story, but it makes me glad that things we inherited from our parent and grandparents survived to be handed on to my brother's kids.
LauraW
May 29, 2011 LauraW rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book and very appealingly illustrated. It should have touched my heart, because my younger daughter had a relationship with her stuffed polar bear that was similar to that. I am not sure why I didn't absolutely love this story.
Lauren Iuppa
Dec 08, 2014 Lauren Iuppa rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I enjoyed reading this book because I found that it was a great book for children to explore their imagination and bring them back to something they own or love that they can't get rid of. I thought it was a good lesson learned for children on how to keep something you own to yourself and love.
Annie Walker
Aug 19, 2014 Annie Walker rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and sweet! Reminiscent of The Velveteen Rabbit. The pictures are so dreamy and lovely and the story is true to life and adorable!
Kelly
Apr 10, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Very cute book about a little girl and her cherished doll. Reminds me of me when I was little.
June
Dec 06, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For those who love doll stories
Recommended to June by: Children's Lit Grp - Dec. 2011 Toy Theme
Shelves: picture-book, toys
A very sweet story about a girl finding a doll in the attic and it becoming her favorite toy.
Audry
Jun 04, 2010 Audry rated it liked it
Cute story about a little girl, Sophie, and her little very old doll, Rose.
Mckinley
Mar 29, 2012 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, heroine
Sweet story
Niki
Niki rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Mille
Mille rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Wendyb
Wendyb marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Naariah
Naariah rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Dondra
Dondra rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Dolly ♡
Dolly ♡ marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Eman
Eman marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Oksana
Oksana rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo ...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...