Start by marking “Bad Blood: Freedom and Death in the White Mountains” as Want to Read:
Bad Blood: Freedom and Death in the White Mountains

Bad Blood: Freedom and Death in the White Mountains

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In the shadow of the fallen Old Man of the Mountain, on a lonely stretch of mountain road, two men lay dead. A spasm of violence that took only a few minutes to play out leaves a community divided and searching for answers.
From the author of newly released Boston Strong: A City s Triumph Over Tragedy, about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, Bad Blood is the riveting acco
Published October 1st 2009 by University Press of New England (first published September 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Blood

Lisa Vallier
Oct 12, 2012 Lisa Vallier rated it it was amazing
Bad Blood is about a townie from Franconia, NH named Liko Kenney and a police officer, Bruce McKay. The two men come from different backgrounds and ideologies. Liko is a free spirit with a wild bent, while Bruce is a disiplinarian who doesn't play favorites. Their first interaction is during a 2003 suspicious loitering traffic stop. The situtation dissolves as Liko refuses to bend to Bruce's will. As the author takes us through this troubling event, he takes great care not to take sides. It's di ...more
Jamie
Mar 15, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Very interesting and tragic true story about a small country town feud between a cop and a kid, then add to it an unbalanced individual....you wind up with 2 murders. Unfortunately this leaves behind a darkness over the town of Franconia, a darkness that some may never heal from. In this book I think the author displayed all of the characters in a fair and just way. Bringing into it some tid bits of New Hampshire's history made it more interesting to me. The voices of the towns people definitely ...more
Chip Underwood
Jan 24, 2013 Chip Underwood rated it really liked it
I was friends with Liko Kenney, on my way to see him when I found out about this incident. It was horrible but not really surprising. I think Casey Sherman does a good job giving a unbiased fair account of the events of this incident. I have my bias, glad to see the book is fair.
Ann237
Jan 05, 2014 Ann237 rated it liked it
Living in New Hampshire this was something we of course heard about when it happened. The author I would have to say with what I know handled the writing of the book with the utmost respect for those that lost their lives, and those left behind.
Linda
Apr 27, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
I really liked the writing style of the author. The content was a true story. They say there are two sides to every story, but this story has 3 sides...and all were a little creepy.
Paul Bellefeuille
Mar 31, 2016 Paul Bellefeuille rated it it was amazing
A true crime account of a still boiling event that happened in May 2007. Casey Sherman lets the reader decide just what happened when a policeman was killed by a young man and then that young man was killed by a "shadowy" local all in a matter of moments. Sherman delves into the intertwining stories of all three men and in vivid detail presents the tale of a town divided.
Patrick
Sep 20, 2011 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This true-crime book about a pair of antagonists in a small New Hampshire town, one cop and one free-spirited youth, and their confrontations that eventually ended with the both of them dead, was an engaging read from start to finish. The author, a Boston-based journalist, does a good job of trying to piece together the relationship between the two principal characters and the town that they lived in, but goes off on numerous tangents that have little to do with the main story, especially as the ...more
Heather
Feb 22, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Factual account tied together quite nicely with some local flavor and rhetoric.

But I must go on the record as saying that I really hope New England publishing companies consider spending more money on editing. It seems as if every book I read that is published in New England has ridiculously obvious typographical errors.
Neil
Apr 20, 2010 Neil rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good 150-page true crime story that has the misfortune of being 220 pages long. Obvious padding and some pretty egregious typos ("black power rifle"? seriously?) don't reflect well on the editor.
Jen
Aug 02, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Interesting real crime thriller. It is well-written, albeit with some of the tangents and padding other reviewers have mentioned. I do not usually like this genre at all, but couldn't put it down.
Jill
May 24, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
Very interesting. I am not sure if it would be interesting to people who don't have a connection with the Franconia area.
Jeffrey Leonard
Mar 03, 2016 Jeffrey Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read. Worth the effort and money.
Mary Jo
Interesting read and a book that I never would have picked up and read on my own.
Kathleen
Aug 08, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Very well written.... Little history tidbits of the state were an added plus
Stephen
Nov 27, 2009 Stephen rated it did not like it
A very dull read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
richard winckel
richard winckel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Todd Taras
Todd Taras marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Bob Bernoth
Bob Bernoth marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
roisin
roisin marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Doug Folsom
Doug Folsom rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Jeffrey Leonard
Jeffrey Leonard rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Tony Cipollone
Tony Cipollone rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Deangela
Deangela marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Nora Winslow
Nora Winslow marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Casey Sherman made international headlines in 2001 with his re-investigation of the notorious Boston Strangler case. His crusade for the truth was chronicled in his best-selling true crime thriller, A Rose for Mary.
Sherman followed it up with his first novel, the action-packed adventure, Black Irish which also became a best-seller. The sequel to Black Irish called Black Dragon has just been releas
More about Casey Sherman...