Start by marking “Hearing Beauty” as Want to Read:
Hearing Beauty

Hearing Beauty

In a world where beauty is prized, Toby is blind. His parents have protected him from the world, but despair about what will become of him as he is useless, broken.

Along comes Derik, a spy who was caught and spent years being tortured before escaping and returning home. Scared and ugly, even his voice was changed by his experiences. He too, is broken.

So what happens when t
Published August 2007 by Torquere Press (first published March 2005)

Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Sweet flowery lyrical story. It really is just Toby and Derik, two men who believe they are 'broken', but just need to find eachother. A bit of a fairy tale.
Serena Yates
Nov 07, 2009 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
I absolutely loved this book about Toby, who is blind and has lost all hope of finding love. When he meets Derik, who has been wounded and is scarred, Toby is fascinated enough to follow him despite his parents' attempts at stopping him.

Toby and Derik find acceptance and love together and the description of how they build a new life for themselves was warm and tender.
Jimmy Hanson
May 13, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, m-m
Lyrical, dreamy, and reminiscent of a fairy-tale, this is a short story that is filled with light, though the primary character is nearly completely blind. There is little to no plot but sometimes that's okay; the characters seemed a bit two-dimensional, partly because of the length, partly because of Mike Shade's style, partly because it just lacked depth and conflict.

If you can get past the "oh, Derik"/"oh, Toby"/"oh, Derik"/"oh, Toby" mantra prevalent through the whole thing, it's actually no
Betryal
Jun 04, 2010 Betryal rated it really liked it
A short sensual, endearing read and just what I need to take me to another time and another place away from reality and a short break from a few novels I just got through reading. Two men both scarred in their own way to find the true love they found in and with each other? What we all hope for to find in life. Excellent short story.
Shirley
Oct 13, 2011 Shirley rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. It was great about a guy who can't see who falls in love with the sound of a guys voice. The story was easy to follow and the characters were easy to like and identify with. I would highly recommend this story.
Maya
Apr 12, 2016 Maya rated it did not like it
Ana
May 12, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Ami
Jan 26, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-short-stories
While the idea of blind main character is intriguing, I just find the story too sugary sweet for my taste. I ended up skipping a couple of pages because the words seem to be the same tone.
Absynthe
Feb 14, 2011 Absynthe rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
The story is interesting, but who or what the main characters are is very vague. Elves? I don't know.

Also, the dialog is very Sean Michael. Sentences made up of one word.

Interesting story, could have been way better.
CB
Aug 08, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing
A short historical love story where 2 perfectly imperfect characters find each in a world where being gay seems to be completely acceptable, which is a nice change.
Sue
Jan 09, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: disability
I really enjoyed the relationship Mike Shade built up in this one.
His writing flows nicely here, and in the other books of his that I've read.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Patty0005
Patty0005 rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2011
G
G rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Alexi Silversmith
Alexi Silversmith rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2010
Maribel Garcia Rodriguez
Maribel Garcia Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2017
Debbie ♪ ♫ ‼ ♫ ♪
Debbie ♪ ♫ ‼ ♫ ♪ rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2010
DM Cartwright
DM Cartwright rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Sweetalpha135
Sweetalpha135 rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2012
Tereza
Tereza rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Emily Moore
Emily Moore rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Det
Det rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Abell
Abell rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Gaa-chan
Gaa-chan rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2010
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Emmaemma
Emmaemma rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Nichem
Nichem rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2010
  • Many Roads Home
  • See You Smile
  • Dracones
  • Torqued Tales: Twisted Fairytales
  • Wolf Wedding (Medieval Werewolf, #1)
  • Left of Centre
  • Jaden's Honor
  • The One That Broke Free  (One and One, #4)
  • Power Play
Sunshine and light breezes, the scent of sea-drenched skin, dewed-grass under foot. Cowboy hats, tuxedos, painted on jeans. Blue eyes, grey eyes, green eyes, crinkled at the edges eyes. Snow, rain, wind. Love in the morning. Love in the afternoon. Love in the evening. The sole of a man's foot, a working man's hands, a strong back, the curve of an ass.

These are a few of Mike's favorite things.

Want