Hearing Beauty

Hearing Beauty

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In a world where beauty is prized, Toby is blind. His parents have protected him from the world, but despair about what will become of him as he is useless, broken.

Along comes Derik, a spy who was caught and spent years being tortured before escaping and returning home. Scared and ugly, even his voice was changed by his experiences. He too, is broken.

So what happens when t...more
Published August 2007 by Torquere Press (first published March 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hearing Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearing Beauty

Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Sweet flowery lyrical story. It really is just Toby and Derik, two men who believe they are 'broken', but just need to find eachother. A bit of a fairy tale.
Serena Yates
I absolutely loved this book about Toby, who is blind and has lost all hope of finding love. When he meets Derik, who has been wounded and is scarred, Toby is fascinated enough to follow him despite his parents' attempts at stopping him.

Toby and Derik find acceptance and love together and the description of how they build a new life for themselves was warm and tender.
Jimmy Hanson
Lyrical, dreamy, and reminiscent of a fairy-tale, this is a short story that is filled with light, though the primary character is nearly completely blind. There is little to no plot but sometimes that's okay; the characters seemed a bit two-dimensional, partly because of the length, partly because of Mike Shade's style, partly because it just lacked depth and conflict.

If you can get past the "oh, Derik"/"oh, Toby"/"oh, Derik"/"oh, Toby" mantra prevalent through the whole thing, it's actually no...more
Betryal
A short sensual, endearing read and just what I need to take me to another time and another place away from reality and a short break from a few novels I just got through reading. Two men both scarred in their own way to find the true love they found in and with each other? What we all hope for to find in life. Excellent short story.
Shirley
I really liked this story. It was great about a guy who can't see who falls in love with the sound of a guys voice. The story was easy to follow and the characters were easy to like and identify with. I would highly recommend this story.
Ana
Absynthe
The story is interesting, but who or what the main characters are is very vague. Elves? I don't know.

Also, the dialog is very Sean Michael. Sentences made up of one word.

Interesting story, could have been way better.
Ami
While the idea of blind main character is intriguing, I just find the story too sugary sweet for my taste. I ended up skipping a couple of pages because the words seem to be the same tone.
Sue
I really enjoyed the relationship Mike Shade built up in this one.
His writing flows nicely here, and in the other books of his that I've read.
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
CB
CB is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
S
S added it
Jul 29, 2014
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Everton
Everton marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
xxbook_nerdxx
xxbook_nerdxx marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Bookwatcher
Bookwatcher marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Pollyanna Zandonai
Pollyanna Zandonai marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
  • Torqued Tales
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Blind Faith
  • Chains
  • Velvet Need (A Velvet Glove Novel)
  • Blind Desire
  • The Storyteller
  • Unveiled (Master Chronicles, #2)
  • Strongman (Phoenix Rising, #3)
  • Toy Box: Biting
  • Running Away to Home
  • Freighter Flights
  • Ink and Paper
  • If All The Sand Were Pearl
  • The One That Broke Free  (One and One, #4)
  • To Steal the Tithe
  • Father of Dragons (Ballot's Keep, #1)
  • Many Roads Home
Sunshine and light breezes, the scent of sea-drenched skin, dewed-grass under foot. Cowboy hats, tuxedos, painted on jeans. Blue eyes, grey eyes, green eyes, crinkled at the edges eyes. Snow, rain, wind. Love in the morning. Love in the afternoon. Love in the evening. The sole of a man's foot, a working man's hands, a strong back, the curve of an ass.

These are a few of Mike's favorite things.

Want...more