Start by marking “Knitgrrl: Learn to Knit with 15 Fun and Funky Projects” as Want to Read:
Knitgrrl: Learn to Knit with 15 Fun and Funky Projects

Knitgrrl: Learn to Knit with 15 Fun and Funky Projects

Tired of hearing about who's dating who and what Alyssa wore to the last party? Get those teens and tweens started on some practical life skills and girl empowerment! KnitGrrl is an upbeat introduction to knitting, from basic materials, tools, and stitches, to fifteen easy projects designed specifically for teens and tweens. Lower the number of trips to the mall with patte ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Knitgrrl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitgrrl

Antoinette
Dec 31, 2008 Antoinette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice knitters, feminists, teens, teachers
Recommended to Antoinette by: my mom
Shelves: crafts-and-diy
I think it would be a little silly to give a craft book 5 stars, but as far as instructional books go this one is a winner. Reading it I get the feeling that Shannon Okey and I are very similar, except for the fact that she can knit and I cannot. Quirky patterns, simple instructions, and alternative techniques make this book a stand out. I was with this book the very first time I increased, the first time I successfully used double pointed needles, and the first time I felted. It is quirky enoug ...more
Jackie Gamber
May 24, 2011 Jackie Gamber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific "Knitting for Dummies" sort of primer. I'm finding that knitting sites and books, even for 'beginners', assume too much pre-knowledge. This book doesn't! It's written for those who've never held a needle. It's a little goofy "hip" because it's written toward teens, but I appreciate the casual tone and step-by-step explanation for me as someone who keeps reading about a garter stitch but hadn't yet known what it meant.
K
Sep 06, 2008 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a book intended to help teens learn how to knit, the instructions in this were totally unclear. Would not recommend as a guide for either beginners or experts. Most patterns were also dumb looking, except for the super cute pattern for text-messaging mittens with fliptop thumbs.

Joy
Joy rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2010
Suzanna Anderson
Suzanna Anderson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Kimberli
Kimberli rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2008
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Melinda
Melinda rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Shelli Murray
Shelli Murray rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2012
Dee Lewis
Dee Lewis rated it it was ok
May 16, 2014
emily
emily rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2008
Molly Haines
Molly Haines rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2011
Bdvjuvbooks
Bdvjuvbooks rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
dorothy schmidt
dorothy schmidt rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Evgenia
Evgenia rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2008
Deedle
Deedle rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Aquit
Aquit rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2007
Desiree Frias
Desiree Frias rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Shannon lives in Cleveland, Ohio with her husband, comic book artist Tamas Jakab and their furry "children," a dachshund and 2 cats who have made several appearances in her books.

Shannon runs her own publishing company called Cooperative Press, which publishes both books and Knit Edge magazine. She writes...a lot.

More about Shannon Okey...