Start by marking “Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform A T-Shirt” as Want to Read:
Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform A T-Shirt

Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform A T-Shirt

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. An ingenious craft handbook explains how to transform the ordinary T-shirt into a wide variety of fashionable clothing, accessories, and other items, with detailed instructions for more than 120 innovative projects, including braided rugs, tablecloths, pillows, skirts, a purse, and more.
Published February 1st 2006 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Generation T, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation T

Molly
May 27, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-pleasure
I bought this because I knew that if I checked it out from the library, my desire to do something about the piles of old t-shirts that I've been hoarding would disappear as soon as my month with the book was up. As I stare at this book on my shelf, I am reminded of all the shirts that need to be made wearable and/or useful. I've done a few projects, some of which are wearable and most of which were educational to me in some way.

Here's what I learned from the book:
-You're going to want to practi
Tif
Nov 20, 2008 Tif rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am SO glad that I didn't buy this book. It was more like 108 ways to look like a trashy hooker punk rocker from the 80s. That said, out of the 108 things to do with t-shirts, I found 2 things that I am anxious to try.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book is more catered to a teenage audience, but it gave me plenty of inspiration and how-to. Also a decent primer on how to do basic diy and t-shirt surgery.

Unfortunately a lot of the t-shirt modifications are more suited for small breasts, so some of these things will be near impossible for me unless I heavily modify the original design in the book. Which is fine for me tbh.

I love diy and I love t-shirt surgery!
This book is a very cool idea, it's just the that follow through isn't that great. Most of the t-shirt designs in this book are things that I would never wear. They are sketchy and a little too revealing for my taste. There were several designs that I also thought looked impossibly cheesy and hand-made. I'm all for making your own style, but not when it looks tacky and cheap. There were a couple interesting patterns in this book, but not enough to tempt me. I would not recommend this book, it's ...more
Becky
Dec 16, 2007 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every single time I wear a shirt or skirt from this book I get LOTS of compliments. Plus, everything is made out of T shirts that you probably just have laying around the house. My only complaint is that many of the shirts or skirts are skimpy or seem to be designed for very thin ladies or aimed at young girls - for whom I feel many of this ideas are too revealing. However, it doesn't take much to lengthen a hem or raise a neckline. Either way, these ideas are fun and look great!
Mary
May 05, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craftyness
Two new shirts in an hour last night ... truly entertaining!
As a seamstress, I am supposed to be above this. However, to the contrary, it's a great way to let out all the craziness and impatience that builds up working on bridesmaids' dresses and suit jackets. Wearing one of these t-shirt creations while stitching away at satin and tulle is a nice feeling. Not to mention how hot I look in that cover-photo halter top! Everyone needs to give this a shot ...
Raina
Nov 22, 2010 Raina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, nonfic, green
This is my go-to book on altering tshirts. It's got a great introduction with sewing techniques, 108 specific ideas with photographs of techniques, variations on many of the ideas... Really great. The only thing which I think could improve the experience for me is some kind of an index. I feel the need to flip through the whole book every time I embark on a new project and it would be nice to have some kind of finding aid. Having a hard time thinking of a suggestion myself - maybe a few pages th ...more
Kori
Dec 23, 2011 Kori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Great place to start for recycled sewing projects. Projects range from beginner to experienced so there's a good mixture of difficulty levels in here to keep you entertained. The only complaint I have is that I think the finished projects look better and last longer with finished hems/edges, and I would use an iron to smooth down the seams. Other than that I really enjoyed this book. I get lots of compliments on my outfits. And once you've zipped through several of these projects you can easily ...more
Kristen MacGregor
This is one of the most awesome craft books I have ever come across! It is an easy way to transform something so simple and cheap into 108 better things... well, maybe 50 better things- some of them were a little over the top. But after going through it and making a few for myself, I realized I could make some of them for my 1 year old daughter, too- and they turned out super cute! Then I saw a couple I could make for my husband. Now, I see a shirt style that I like at the store- or on someone I ...more
Emily
Oct 26, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about this book is that it doesn't indulge the fact that I'm a terrible perfectionist. These designs are simple and fast, many of them don't even require sewing. I wouldn't wear everything in the book-- far from it-- but as someone who would wear t-shirts every day if they could, it's cool to get some inspiration to mix it up a bit. Design #33 was the first one I made, and I've gotten lots of compliments on that shirt-- which started out as a way-too-big $2 tee from Goodwill.
Mimi
Mar 30, 2009 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, 2009
I'm not generally a crafty person, but I decided that I wanted to make myself a t-shirt for the upcoming Nightwish concert. Also, that I didn't want it to be just any regular t-shirt. This book had several awesome sew and no-sew projects that turn ordinary t-shirts into all sorts of things. I chose design 18 "ties to die for" and it came out rather well. I think this would be an awesome book to pick a few projects from and do as a teen program. :)
Amy Denim
Mar 12, 2012 Amy Denim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to try a bunch of ideas in this book. Some of them are a little to wacky for me, but some are simple ways to take either an old favorite that is too worn out or a new fugly T and make them wearable.
I'd even consider making the 'wedding' dress (although not to get married in) It's fun and pretty.
Will be on the lookout for more crafty books by this author.
Treva Blomquist
Jun 11, 2009 Treva Blomquist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has SO MANY fabulous ideas for easy, crafty things you can make from old t-shirts. From changing the style and fit of the T-shirt to creating purses, quilts, rugs, scarves, etc... and instructions are very easy to follow - most things are beginner skill level. I loved it. Now my husbands t-shirts are in danger.
Brandy Shark
Sep 09, 2011 Brandy Shark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, non-fiction
I really love this book.

I have a bunch of t-shirts that are too big for me, as well as a lot of men's shirts and I want to make them more feminine and better fitting. This book has wonderful ideas and patterns of what to do with said shirts. I've altered quite a few all ready and plan on doing more.
Gaby
Jun 10, 2008 Gaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Yep, I needed this book. Pretty much every t-shirt I cut prior to owning it made me look like a lumberjack or a long-haul trucker. Now, with the book's help (it doesn't laugh at me when I still mess up) I look like a bootleg NHL player with girl arms. So that's better, I guess.
Eden
Aug 13, 2011 Eden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Need a quick way to transform that old T-shirt this is the best, quick, easy directions to do so.
Victoria Moore
I don't know what impressed me more about 'Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform A T-Shirt" by Megan Nicolay, the myriad of ways the simple T-shirt could be redesigned or Nicolay's story about "the brooklyn tee party revolution". As I read her story at first I felt a kinship for a fellow thrifter, recycler and personal style advocate, then as I looked at her t-shirt ideas, I also became excited by this new chapter in modern dressing. I particularly appreciated the way she put her own spin on "pun ...more
Rachel
Nov 30, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. Unlike many 't-shirt surgery' books, this one includes very wearable projects, not just skimpy midriff-revealing halter tops. There is a whole chapter on skirts that could easily be worn to a casual office. The wedding gown constructed from t-shirts is absolutely gorgeous. Many of these projects are simple enough for older kids to try - a great way to teach them how to sew, a life skill for which they will one day thank you. There are projects for guys, too! And all ...more
Mckinley
Jul 10, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft, non-fiction
I like that there is a variety of projects for women, men, animals and accessories. There are a few I might try out for fun. I didn't like all the tied projects. Maybe I'm old-school, but I couldn't have worn much of this stuff which shows too much skin even back in my younger days.
See: 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special by Faith Blakeney.
Unwisely
Crafy books are hard to evaluate. I don't feel like I necessarily *read* them, per se, so much as flip through them. (There's generally not enough text to justify calling it "reading".) I'm not really a crafter, anyway, so I think I should rate them by whether they motivate me to do something. And this is the first one I've read in a while where I've actually done something about it.

After having "read" the whole thing, it sat on my library pile for weeks, then one night I suddenly started to mo
Sabrina
Oct 26, 2014 Sabrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting concept, but the designs almost all look dated (even when taking into consideration this book is 8 years old).
Paula
Jul 15, 2011 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are some good ideas in this book, but I've seen people manifest these designs in real life AND THEY DO NOT LOOK CUTE.

Man, there are some people who get inspired to cut up a shirt as instructed....but really SHOULDN'T be wearing such designs.

There were also some designs I tried that worked and really looked cute, but there were other ideas that just made me look trashy no matter what I did.

I would like to try the rug idea one day...but that's it.

There are other books similar to this out t
Siobhan
Sep 02, 2015 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy
Most of the ideas are way out there, but I did get a couple ideas from it.

Sonia
May 27, 2014 Sonia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed it but not really sure I would make anything.
Anyone who is into DIY, making their own clothes, or sewing MUST own a copy of this brilliant book. The ideas in here are easy, creative, and entirely unique. I found so many that I would like to make that I will actually need more shirts to do so! They are also easy to modify and combine to make something that is entirely yours. Most of the best designs don't even involve sewing, so it is great for large groups (like Girl Scouts) and beginners. But it is never dumbed down and has a valuable cre ...more
Samra
Jul 01, 2014 Samra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant ideas
Clarissa
Jul 09, 2008 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some cases I just wanted to yell at the book "hey! the 80's called, they want their style back"...but for this most part this book gave me some cute ideas for personalizing a shirt. And alot of their projects are "no sew" - YAY! (although I do sew and amazingly well). I incorporated 2 or 3 of their projects (after completely mangling a t-shirt attempting one of their projects) and ended up with a really cute t-shirt I wore to an Angel's game and got a TON of compliments on!
Melinda
Dec 14, 2007 Melinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crafty kids
i didn't think this book was that great. i had heard a lot about it, and i thought it was a cool idea, but the ideas in here are mostly impractical--at least, for me. i don't want to wear a shirt held together with safety pins.... anyway there were some good ideas, like how to make a tote bag out of two t-shirts, that i liked. i made one out of two pairs of old pants (which worked the same way as shirts) and put a little owl applique on it and it turned out really well.
Lottie
Feb 10, 2009 Lottie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only made two things from the book so far but they both came out great. Most of the clothing styles are a little to "young & punk" for me but there definitely are some cute ones.

I give it 4 stars because her instructions are very clear & really easy to follow. I used a sewing machine but her instructions call for hand sewing with a whipstitch. So if you don't have a machine and are just beginning this is a great book for you.
Guin
Mar 06, 2013 Guin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is still the best book I know about t-shirt reconstruction - it was my right hand man when I first started cutting up t-shirts. It has a great variety of designs that are in very concise, attractive instructions. The beginning of the book covers the basics of sewing and the tools you will need or might want to gather for projects. And the entire history of the t-shirt is printed in fun facts littered throughout the book.
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • The Cute Book
  • Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks
  • ReadyMade: How to Make [Almost] Everything: A Do-It-Yourself Primer
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • D.I.Y.: Design It Yourself: A Design Handbook
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-By-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects