Start by marking “Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)

Red Blooded Murder (Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)

Chicago is the Windy City, and these days the winds of change are whipping Izzy McNeil’s life all over
Published June 23rd 2009 by Mira (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Red Blooded Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Blooded Murder

Luna Sanguis by Simon OkillLuna Aeturnus by Simon OkillDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisAbraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-SmithPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVor
bloody covers
159th out of 204 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen
Aug 01, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
If you love great thrillers, you'll also love the second installment in the Izzy McNeil series. In Red-Blooded Murder, it picked up six months later from Red Hot Lies. We really have gotten involved into Izzy's world, when she tackled a lot that have been going on in her life. And man, did she have a full plate in this series? We saw Izzy on an emotional roller coaster ride. I really became worried about her, since she became stuck and embroiled into another murder mystery of her own, when she w ...more
Gayle
Jan 03, 2015 Gayle rated it liked it
This is my first Laura Caldwell book and based on this I will look for the others. Izzy McNeil is a Chicago lawyer who has lost her job. She meets up with Jane Augustine, a journalist whose contract she had negotiated and gets offered a job on Trial TV as a legal analyst. Unfortunately, Jane ends up dead and of course Izzy becomes the #1 suspect. The book is than about her trying to defend herself.

I always think I know "who done it", but as usual was totally surprised by who the killer was.

A goo
Barbara
Apr 17, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-romance
really, really having trouble with this book. Not sure why I haven't given up, especially with the knowledge from reading the book synopsis previews that I know the main character's outcome in this book, (not to be confused with the identity of the murderer in this book) and I'm not happy or pleased with that outcome. Read a few pages, was not happy, intrigued or engaged, and gave up until today.

I am now engaged in the murder mystery. I am still not pleased with the development of the main char
Lindig
Jul 29, 2009 Lindig rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I haven't read the first book in this trilogy. While overall I liked this book, and think it seemed more realistic than most, I found that most of the characters were a trifle on the one-dimensional side, including the heroine. The pacing was a little too fast, and the heroine was always thinking on her feet in the middle of a crisis, often wrongly, as it turns out. The author in general strikes a reasonable balance between personal relationships and the detective story, but none of the emotions ...more
Meigan
Dec 29, 2012 Meigan rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This book was almost as much fun as the previous book in the series, but I found it lacked the amount of humor that Red Hot Lies contained. Many of the characters from book one made appearances in this one, but I wanted more from them. I realize that Izzy McNeil is the star, she is incredibly likeable, a bunch of fun, but I would still like more from some of the secondary characters.

I didn't have pause to notice anything formulaic in the first book, being that it was the first one I had read fro
Johnsergeant
Narrated by Nancy Liem
Series: Izzy McNeil, Book 2

14 hrs and 13 mins

Publisher's Summary

"For the first time in my adult life I was flying without a net. Fear was nibbling at my insides, creeping its way into my brain. I was buzzing with apprehension. But the job offer from Jane was a bolt of calm, clean sunshine breaking through the murky depths of my nerves."

Chicago is the Windy City, and these days the winds of change are whipping Izzy McNeil's life all over the map. A high-profile job on Trial
Jan
Aug 13, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
Izzy McNeil is a lawyer who's lost her "lawyering job" her fiance and her self-esteem. In the midst of getting back with her fiance, she lands a job on Trial TV with a former client, pseudo friend, Jane Alexander, who is mysteriously murdered (!) and Izzy is a person of interest. Throw in Jane's husband and several "one night stands" and the plot thickens nicely.

I like Izzy and will enjoy watching her character develop thru the next book. Jane was a piece of work and I felt sorry for her husban
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it it was ok
This is the second of three in a series ... I had read the first one, then the third one and now the second one.

I'd say that this is the weakest of the series. Though I enjoyed the writing style, the story was so-so. I found some of the situations absurd and unbelievable.

It was good to find out how she met Theo (I like him) but I got tired of Sam coming back and forth and whining.

The part with Mayburn could have been left out as it had no bearing on the main story but I guess she had to have him
Georgiana Huizenga
Nov 27, 2014 Georgiana Huizenga rated it liked it
I am enjoying this series. Izzy is an interesting character with a lot of baggage. It was a fast read and very entertaining.
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Not as good as the first in the trilogy, unsure if I will go to the next. A decent read, but the story seemed a bit scattered and far fetched. Not as interesting character story lines as Red Hot and Dead. A decent fluff read, but not worth following up on.
Linda
May 24, 2010 Linda rated it did not like it
What a colossal disappointment after enjoying the first book in this trilogy a great deal. The author takes her main character from likable and sympathetic to a whiner with slutty tendencies who finds coincidence (good and bad) at every turn. The plot is choppy, no flow to the narrative, not to mention the fact I figured out who the killer was right away. Even the subplot of Izzy undercover held no surprises. Once I knew who the culprit was, the book held no appeal and I just put it down.
Pamsholley
Apr 22, 2010 Pamsholley rated it really liked it
Slow start but quickly moved into very suspenseful with action moving right along. Izzy caught between Sam, her former boyfriend who bagged on her last year, and Theo, young, tattooed lover. Her friend Jane Augustine is killed and Izzy is the primary suspect, especially when she's given Jane's anchor job at Trial TV. Need to read 1st in series and see what's next.
Patt
Aug 14, 2011 Patt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I really liked this book, the second in a series. The setting is Chicago and ,if you know the city, it's pretty believable that the author is familiar with it. I would recommend reading the first in the series, "Red Hot Lies'" before you read this because many references will not be too clear if you don't. Murder, intrigue, and romance all in one.
Amy
May 09, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
I didn't get a book to read during MLA, but Kelly was awesome enough to loan me this one. The writing flowed nicely despite a few small typos and mystery was engaging. I wanted to know who did it. There were several times during the second hall where the main character made poor decisions that felt forced so that the plot could move forward.
Melanie
Sep 27, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, chick-lit
Really enjoyed this - exciting and fun and a lot of generally good writing, which is always nice when you're expecting total fluff but you end up getting some good thinking in, too. A lot of discussion of relationships and knowing yourself and being real about that stuff, plus a great mystery.
Cora
Jul 26, 2009 Cora rated it really liked it
2nd book in the Izzy McNeil trilogy is even better than the 1st book. Don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just say you have to read this. 3rd book in the Izzy McNeil trilogy is out on 7/28, can't wait to read it. If it is anything like the first 2 book, then it should be just as good.
Donna Halloran
Sep 02, 2013 Donna Halloran rated it really liked it
Loved this second one. I struggled with the main character more than last time. I also was annoyed at how badly she was railroaded... part of me believes this couldn't happen, but I know I am naive.

I am excited about the next one but know I need to take a break...
Toni
Mar 14, 2010 Toni rated it really liked it
Another fun romp through my favorite city, Chicago. I'm enjoying getting to know the Izzy McNeil character in this series. Even though these mysteries are on the lighter/escapist side, they're meaty, well-written, cheese-free, and plausible. My kind of escapism.
Corryn
Mar 19, 2016 Corryn rated it really liked it
A great mystery that kept my mind on the book even when I wasn't reading! All the little details are so slowly revealed, it keeps you going through-out. Unfortunately, the personal relationships aren't all that positive. Oh well. :) 4.0
Mandy
Jan 03, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it
The 2nd book in the series, this was another good book. It took a little bit longer for me to get into the story, but again it ended differently from what I expected. If you like a mystery then I recommend the series.
Cheryl Karkoff
Sep 01, 2009 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Izzy McNeil series. Crazy life of an x lawyer and her many adventures. This one is about the death of her freind and how she gets caught up in the investigation. Easy fun read.
Ebony Small
Aug 15, 2009 Ebony Small rated it really liked it
Great characters, wonderful plot, sexy and yet believable. Really liked this one. I did figure out half way through the book who dunnit, though.
Hildy Peterson
Aug 10, 2012 Hildy Peterson rated it did not like it
Grade: F

Made it to page 325, more than halfway through, gave up and read the end. Should have been shorter and I would have liked it!
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Good travel/ airplane read, but not as suspenseful as expected... Story-line sounded more promising than it turned out to be.
Ali
Nov 08, 2009 Ali rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the first one. It's a fun, thrilling read. I definitely like this murder-mystery/chick-lit combo.
Kathy
Aug 31, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Sheila
Dec 17, 2012 Sheila added it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I can't remember much about this book so long after reading it, so can't rate it.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
I really like this character! Will be sad when I finish the last in the trilogy :(
Marianne
Sep 11, 2011 Marianne rated it it was ok
I gave the series a chance, but I'm abandoning it after book 2. Wouldn't recommend.
Janetlee
Jul 16, 2009 Janetlee rated it it was amazing
Introduction of a new, younger love interest that sounds great!
  • Taken (Randall Shane, #1)
  • A Cold Dark Place (Emily Kenyon, #1)
  • Witness: Defending His Own\Guarding Jeannie
  • Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For
  • Warwick the Kingmaker
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • Ground to a Halt (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #14)
  • Biggie and the Fricasseed Fat Man (Biggie Weatherford, #3)
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • Deadly Silence (Jackson Hole, #3)
  • Echo of Redemption (Chronicles of Surrender, #4)
  • Murder Can Botch Up Your Birthday (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #11)
  • Death of a Dutchman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #2)
  • Doggy Tales Vol. 1
  • The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones, #3)
  • Mesmerized
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Comes the Dark
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...

Izzy McNeil Mystery (6 books)
  • Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1)
  • Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)
  • Claim of Innocence (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #4)
  • Question of Trust (An Izzy McNeil Mystery, #5)
  • False Impressions