Start by marking “A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower” as Want to Read:
A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower

A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower

When twenty-seven-year-old event planner and blogger Clare Finnegan got married, she didn’t mind moving out of the city. After all, a suburban existence didn’t necessarily equal domesticity, book club parties, and a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. But when, after a weekend in Vegas, Clare discovers she’s pregnant, she is thrown into a world where eating lunchmeat i

Published (first published June 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Bump in the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bump in the Road

Kristen
Jun 25, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls Who just got pregnant for the first time.
Recommended to Kristen by: Jennifer
This was a great book. I really connected to the main character, Clare, and her surprise addition to her family. You get to see Clare in many aspects of life - as a friend to her college gal pals and maneuvering between the single friend and the friend with the White Picket Fence life. I could definitely understand the dilemma she faces.

Next you see Clare with her in laws, particularly her mother in law and sister in law and the dynamics within that "sisterhood"...hilarious. Clare at work, Clare
Kristi Brown
Jul 15, 2009 Kristi Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute and fun to read...the only drag was the constant, and I mean constant and repetitive passages about the state of being pregnant. There could have been more event planner disaster horror stories & less pregnant stories. I'm just saying...
Kricket
bridget jones, stripped of her sense of humor, meets dooce and gets pregnant.
but it kept me occupied while sick in bed.

*the one thing i liked about this is that the narrator still enjoys a glass of wine every now and then while pregnant. in any country besides the US, this is normal.
Elsa Ramos
Jun 14, 2016 Elsa Ramos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito Divertido, identifiquei-me bastante com esta historia.
Carly G
Dec 16, 2009 Carly G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book that I read this school year was A Bump in the Road by Maureen Lipinski. I decided to take a break from the dramatic books that I usually read and try something funny, something that would make me laugh. That's exactly that this book did. The main character in this book is Clare Finnegan, a party planner in Chicago. Clare and her husband of one year, Jake, found out that a crazy weekend in Vegas was going to lead to a crazy nine months. They're having a baby. The book is a diary ...more
Melinda Elizabeth
This book left me confused a lot of the time. It was written as though there was an assumption that you know the characters, although I don't think an established series is the case as I wasn't able to determine if this is a sequel or something similar. A lot of the time I was left wondering why I should know all of this information about characters personalities, in fighting and jokes. It made the reader feel a little bit isolated from what was going on in the story.

Another beef I have with thi
Michelle
Apr 29, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How absolutely adorable is the first book from Maureen Lipinski? Blogger extraordinaire and event planner Clare Finnegan finds herself unexpectedly pregnant and we go with her on the journey as she deals with weight gain, mom jeans, annoying in-laws, feuding best friends, crazy co-worker from hell, sisterly bonds, and the discovery that her cat is a klepto drag queen. It was hard to put this book down once I started to read it and I found myself up late at night just trying to read one more chap ...more
Marie Carlino
Jun 18, 2012 Marie Carlino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another pregnancy story :) Hurrah!

This is a story about a successful career woman who enjoys her job and the freedom that comes from being child- less (parties, shopping for expensive designer clothes etc). All of this changes after a weekend away in Vegas that resulted in a massive hangover. This hangover ended up lasting 9 months and had some unusual symptoms mixed in with the norm. Nausea, food cravings and bloating aren't too strange but what about needing to pee all the time? Wake up Clare
Jennifer Daiker
Jun 01, 2010 Jennifer Daiker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Maureen Lipinski is brilliant in this tale of the unexpected pregnancy. The main character Clare was the perfect blend of sarcasm and just plain old fashion humor. Going through the journey with her and her nicknames for the little baby inside her will keep you chuckling all the way until the end. During the process you will either remember the time when you were pregnant and realte, or almost think about postponing pregnancy for a few years. That is until the end when she realizes what an aweso ...more
Bridget Bailey
May 31, 2016 Bridget Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed her chick lit style. It was really believable as someone who is young and having their first kid to go from enjoying drinking and hanging out with friends and being married to being pregnant and not enjoying everything you once did before and all of the lovely symptoms associated with pregnancy. This was a cute book, a little predictable as most chick lit books are but still an enjoyable read especially for those who are pregnant or were ...more
Randi
Dec 16, 2009 Randi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is HYSTERICAL it was referred by Jen Lancaster on her Blog. I would definately reccomend it for anyone in their late 20's early 30's who are on the fence about having children, It's just a hysterical journey of an accidental pregnancy for someone who didn't know when or if they wanted kids but the 9 months inbetween just make you laugh so hard & realize your not crazy, everyone thiks the same insane things!
Brandi
Dec 03, 2009 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is hilarious! I actually purchased this book off a recommendation on Jen Lancaster's blog. Clare finds that she is unexpectedly pregnant by her husband at a time when she isn't quite ready. I loved her attitude and humor the most. She would name her baby depending on the stage of pregnancy she was at (dragon, Mr. Skeletor, etc).
If you're looking for something light hearted and funny, definitely pick up a copy.
Elena
Sep 05, 2009 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a great read, especially if you love books written as a journal. The main character is knocked up by her own husband and it is all about her handling the unexpected pregnancy, which makes for tons of laughter.
It was recommended by Jen Lancaster on her site, so if you like her writing, you'd definitely enjoy this book.
Kourtney
Nov 30, 2010 Kourtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes books cross your path at the right moment - for me this is one of those books. Had I read this book before I got pregnant, I don't think it would have made me laugh quite as hard, or had me shaking my head in agreement. Now having gone through 7 months of pregnancy, I could laugh right through this saying "been there!" A bit predictable but the laughs make it worth it!
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
It's usually hard for me to give chick lit over 3 stars, but I thought this book was hi-larious. Mostly because I felt like the main character reached into my head and pulled out words half the time...her sarcastic, ridiculous humor is right up my alley. Not to mention the chapter about IKEA shopping had me laughing to the point of tears. I wish more chick lit was written like this!!
Anne
Jun 16, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so the story line, yes was a bit of fluff but the "true speech pattern" way she writes is HILARIOUS! Whether of not you think you are ready for a kid, sometimes it's just BAM! it's on it's way! Very funny and I think pretty true to what my own reaction would be when a baby that I hadn't planned on was on it's way. Denial, denial, denial until the baby was in my hands.
Britany Patterson
Such a fun light read that takes you thru a woman's surprise of getting pregnant and what that means for her life as she knows it. For anyone newly married and contemplating how they are going to balance their current life/career with a family- it's a heartfelt read that leaves you feeling pretty good about the next step in life. Highly recommend!
May 25, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Many laugh-out-loud moments...story of a woman realizing that her childless life is over. I like her dry, sarcastic humor while coping with pregnancy, along with dealing with feuding best friends who live opposite lives.
Kristin
Dec 18, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud so many times as I read this book. The voice Lipinski speaks from reminds me of myself and many of my friends, so I felt like I was getting a peak into what pregnancy might have been like or will be like for my friends.
Margie
Oct 24, 2011 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In spite of the diary format of this book, I thought the story was well written and fun to read. I personally, do not enjoy diary format books, but Maureen Lipinski did an excellent job with the flow from entry to entry. I would recommend this book.
Leslie
Sep 17, 2009 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up, only because it had a pink cover. Thank goodness it was from the library and I didn't buy it. It was pretty predictable.
Melissa
Jul 06, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book sitting in my "to read" pile forever, I wish I would have picked it up sooner. It was really funny. A super fast read. I really enjoyed the personality of all the characters.
B
Jun 10, 2009 B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 30-books-in-2011
Decidely honest book about life changes. I love the honesty in the authors voice ans was happy to see that it wasn't all roses.
Kara
Jun 22, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Great one liners. Hilariously written.
Anna
Jul 26, 2011 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great chick lit read... A bit like Bridget Jones :)
Kate
Nov 12, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
I love the characters, especially Clare. Witty and entertaining. Every pregnant woman blogger turned writer could relate to Clare's situation.
Courtney Schumacher
Such a cute book! I took it on vacation, and it is a great beach read. Very light and chic lit-ey, perfect summer book!
Stephanie
Jun 14, 2009 Stephanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jenn Lancaster summer
Stef
Oct 08, 2012 Stef rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Chick lit brain candy to break up all the heavy war books I have been reading. I now remember why I read war books over this stuff
Carley
Jan 06, 2011 Carley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A pretty typical cute chicklit read but with the added bonus of humor. I actually "lol" at some points. I loved the nicknames she came up with for her baby while in utero.
  • Spin
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife
  • The Baby Planner
  • The Conscious Bride: Women Unveil Their True Feelings about Getting Hitched
  • Bought
  • At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life
  • Rage Against the Meshugenah: Why it Takes Balls to Go Nuts
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • City Dog
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Marcus of Umbria: What an Italian Dog Taught an American Girl about Love
  • Room For Improvement
  • Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown: Notes from a Single Girl's Closet
  • This Year's Model
  • Table Manners
  • First Comes Love