A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower

A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  51 reviews

When twenty-seven-year-old event planner and blogger Clare Finnegan got married, she didn’t mind moving out of the city. After all, a suburban existence didn’t necessarily equal domesticity, book club parties, and a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. But when, after a weekend in Vegas, Clare discovers she’s pregnant, she is thrown into a world where eating lunchmeat i

Published (first published June 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Bump in the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bump in the Road

Kristen
Jul 18, 2009 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls Who just got pregnant for the first time.
Recommended to Kristen by: Jennifer
This was a great book. I really connected to the main character, Clare, and her surprise addition to her family. You get to see Clare in many aspects of life - as a friend to her college gal pals and maneuvering between the single friend and the friend with the White Picket Fence life. I could definitely understand the dilemma she faces.

Next you see Clare with her in laws, particularly her mother in law and sister in law and the dynamics within that "sisterhood"...hilarious. Clare at work, Clare...more
Kricket
bridget jones, stripped of her sense of humor, meets dooce and gets pregnant.
but it kept me occupied while sick in bed.

*the one thing i liked about this is that the narrator still enjoys a glass of wine every now and then while pregnant. in any country besides the US, this is normal.
Kristi Brown
This book was so cute and fun to read...the only drag was the constant, and I mean constant and repetitive passages about the state of being pregnant. There could have been more event planner disaster horror stories & less pregnant stories. I'm just saying...
Carly G
The second book that I read this school year was A Bump in the Road by Maureen Lipinski. I decided to take a break from the dramatic books that I usually read and try something funny, something that would make me laugh. That's exactly that this book did. The main character in this book is Clare Finnegan, a party planner in Chicago. Clare and her husband of one year, Jake, found out that a crazy weekend in Vegas was going to lead to a crazy nine months. They're having a baby. The book is a diary...more
Jennifer Daiker
Maureen Lipinski is brilliant in this tale of the unexpected pregnancy. The main character Clare was the perfect blend of sarcasm and just plain old fashion humor. Going through the journey with her and her nicknames for the little baby inside her will keep you chuckling all the way until the end. During the process you will either remember the time when you were pregnant and realte, or almost think about postponing pregnancy for a few years. That is until the end when she realizes what an aweso...more
Lthelibrarylover
Another pregnancy story :) Hurrah!

This is a story about a successful career woman who enjoys her job and the freedom that comes from being child- less (parties, shopping for expensive designer clothes etc). All of this changes after a weekend away in Vegas that resulted in a massive hangover. This hangover ended up lasting 9 months and had some unusual symptoms mixed in with the norm. Nausea, food cravings and bloating aren't too strange but what about needing to pee all the time? Wake up Clare...more
Michelle
How absolutely adorable is the first book from Maureen Lipinski? Blogger extraordinaire and event planner Clare Finnegan finds herself unexpectedly pregnant and we go with her on the journey as she deals with weight gain, mom jeans, annoying in-laws, feuding best friends, crazy co-worker from hell, sisterly bonds, and the discovery that her cat is a klepto drag queen. It was hard to put this book down once I started to read it and I found myself up late at night just trying to read one more chap...more
Deamer
Hahahaha all I could do in this was always laugh, it was hilarious, but I totally loved it
Lisa
Light hearted & funny...especially if you know anyone who has been pregnant (or have been pregnant yourself).
Jennifer Steinmetz
I read this book when I was pregnant with my first -- I loved it!!
Brandi
This book is hilarious! I actually purchased this book off a recommendation on Jen Lancaster's blog. Clare finds that she is unexpectedly pregnant by her husband at a time when she isn't quite ready. I loved her attitude and humor the most. She would name her baby depending on the stage of pregnancy she was at (dragon, Mr. Skeletor, etc).
If you're looking for something light hearted and funny, definitely pick up a copy.
Randi
this book is HYSTERICAL it was referred by Jen Lancaster on her Blog. I would definately reccomend it for anyone in their late 20's early 30's who are on the fence about having children, It's just a hysterical journey of an accidental pregnancy for someone who didn't know when or if they wanted kids but the 9 months inbetween just make you laugh so hard & realize your not crazy, everyone thiks the same insane things!
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
It's usually hard for me to give chick lit over 3 stars, but I thought this book was hi-larious. Mostly because I felt like the main character reached into my head and pulled out words half the time...her sarcastic, ridiculous humor is right up my alley. Not to mention the chapter about IKEA shopping had me laughing to the point of tears. I wish more chick lit was written like this!!
Anne
Ok so the story line, yes was a bit of fluff but the "true speech pattern" way she writes is HILARIOUS! Whether of not you think you are ready for a kid, sometimes it's just BAM! it's on it's way! Very funny and I think pretty true to what my own reaction would be when a baby that I hadn't planned on was on it's way. Denial, denial, denial until the baby was in my hands.
Elena
This is a great read, especially if you love books written as a journal. The main character is knocked up by her own husband and it is all about her handling the unexpected pregnancy, which makes for tons of laughter.
It was recommended by Jen Lancaster on her site, so if you like her writing, you'd definitely enjoy this book.
Margie
In spite of the diary format of this book, I thought the story was well written and fun to read. I personally, do not enjoy diary format books, but Maureen Lipinski did an excellent job with the flow from entry to entry. I would recommend this book.
Kristin
I laughed out loud so many times as I read this book. The voice Lipinski speaks from reminds me of myself and many of my friends, so I felt like I was getting a peak into what pregnancy might have been like or will be like for my friends.
Many laugh-out-loud moments...story of a woman realizing that her childless life is over. I like her dry, sarcastic humor while coping with pregnancy, along with dealing with feuding best friends who live opposite lives.
Melissa
I've had this book sitting in my "to read" pile forever, I wish I would have picked it up sooner. It was really funny. A super fast read. I really enjoyed the personality of all the characters.
Vicki
Thought this book was extremely cute and made me laugh at loud at some parts! Slightly predictable and read more like a memoir then a story in my opinion, but was good nonetheless!!!
Carley
A pretty typical cute chicklit read but with the added bonus of humor. I actually "lol" at some points. I loved the nicknames she came up with for her baby while in utero.
Valissa
I just keep trying the chick-lit and am somewhat dismayed to find that I have reached the middle ground of not fitting the genre and yet not ready for all that non-fiction . . .
Jessica
Laugh-out-loud funny! Pretty sure my hubby thought I was crazy as I giggled at the dinner table. Also, totally made me so excited about having a baby!
Lauren Stahl
This book is a funny tale of an unplanned pregnancy and the mom-to-be's journey. It is a laugh out loud read, that is very quick and easy to get through.
Kate
I love the characters, especially Clare. Witty and entertaining. Every pregnant woman blogger turned writer could relate to Clare's situation.
Stef

Chick lit brain candy to break up all the heavy war books I have been reading. I now remember why I read war books over this stuff
Leslie
I picked this one up, only because it had a pink cover. Thank goodness it was from the library and I didn't buy it. It was pretty predictable.
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Laugh out loud funny! I would have given it 5 stars if it had less swearing, but great insight into a first time & unexpected pregnancy.
B
Decidely honest book about life changes. I love the honesty in the authors voice ans was happy to see that it wasn't all roses.
MJ
Very quick read. Definitely could relate to a lot of what happens to the lead (Clare Finnegan). Nice light read for early August.
  • Spin
  • The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • The Baby Planner
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • City Dog
  • At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life
  • Rage Against the Meshugenah: Why it Takes Balls to Go Nuts
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Schooled
  • There's Cake in My Future
  • First Comes Love
Not Ready for Mom Jeans Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1) Cleopatra Ascending Cleopatra Ascending (A Shadow's Edge Novel)