Start by marking “The Last Word: A Novel (Sophie Trace Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Word: A Novel (Sophie Trace Trilogy #2)

The Last Word: A Novel (Sophie Trace Trilogy #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Title: The Last Word
Author: Herman, Kathy
Publisher: David C Cook
Publication Date: 2009/10/01
Number of Pages: 390
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress: 2010278930
Published October 1st 2009 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about The Last Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Word

Cheryl
Police Chief Brill Jessup can’t wait for her daughter, Vanessa to come home from college. Brill hasn’t seen Vanessa for a while. When Vanessa comes home, Brill realizes that a lot has changed like…Vanessa is pregnant. Unfortunately for Brill, the family reunion will have to wait. A killer is on the loose and he is knocking off all of Brill’s officers one by one. Can’t Brill stop the killer before it is too late and can she forgive her daughter for getting pregnant?

The Last Word is book two in th...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Admittedly, I haven't read anything else by Kathy Herman, and this is the second in a trilogy. While it stands alone well, there are also many references to situations that I assume happened in the first novel.

It wasn't a difficult book to read, it just wasn't one that I found to be incredible or enthralling. I liked it well enough, and while I know the author was going for drama and suspense, much of the story seemed far-fetched to me. I could see it as some episode of a law enforcement show, a...more
Crystal
This is my first book by Kathy Herman, but not my first Christian Romantic Suspense by far. When I decided to review this for the FIRST Wild Card Tour I didn't realize it was part of a series. Usually I am very particular and have to read a series in order. But I realized I couldn't do that with the time constraints of this review. So I dove in. You know what - my brain did not explode :). Yes I think there were some things I think I could have benefited from knowing by reading the first book, b...more
Wyndy
In this second book in the series Brill is caught in a situation that has stress coming at her from every direction, at work an ex-con is out to kill her but before he does that he wants to torture her by killing the policemen on her team first, her collage daughter returns home pregnant with a missing boyfriend, and her youngest daughter is still in the throws of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from the story in the first book. How can she handle it all? Can she rely on God? Kathy has not disapp...more
Linda
This is my first introduction to Kathy Herman, but it won’t be my last! She delves deeply into the lives and hearts of her characters, revealing their personal thoughts and deep feelings throughout all the turmoil: Vanessa showing up at home pregnant and unmarried; Brill’s disappointment in her daughter’s lack of morals; her daughter’s indecisive decision-making about her future with or without her baby; her youngest daughter’s PTSD from a previous trauma (book one: The Real Enemy); her own marr...more
Tamara
THE LAST WORD by Kathy Herman is not only suspenseful, but deals with family issues as well.

Brill Jessup is the Chief of Police in the small town of Sophie Trace. Her quiet community is about to be turned upside down by a stalker/murderer who has set his sights on her. He's taunting her with attacks on her fellow officers, all the while letting her know she is his ultimate target. If that's not enough, her college-age daughter comes home for the summer with a surprise of her own.

Vanessa Jessup...more
Clockstein Lockstein
The Last Word by Kathy Herman is the second book in the Sophie Trace series. Brill Jessup is facing a new series of crises. Her daughter Vanessa has come home from college seven months pregnant, and the baby's father has disappeared. Plus a man she put in prison fifteen years ago is determined to get revenge, but Brill is only his final target, he intends to hurt as many people as possible to get to her. Brill will have to rely on the brilliance from which she acquired her nickname and on her tr...more
Paul Goble
Characters in a small town deal with the problems of everyday life, as well as a serial killer on the loose. Police chief Brill Jessup takes center stage as the killer declares that she is his ultimate target. Meanwhile, her daughter Vanessa faces an unwanted pregnancy.

This novel is all about the characters and their interactions. The suspense rolls along in the background, but there is very little edge-of-the-seat action.

What I liked: This story is edifying from start to finish. The characters...more
Mandy Hoffman
This was the first book I have read by Kathy Herman and now I understand why she is a best selling suspense novelist. I normally do not enjoy suspense, but this one was different. I actually enjoyed it.

While it is a suspense novel, it is also threaded with several other story lines. One being the current situation with Brill's daughter, Vanessa, and the second being from the past, which I assume is delt with in book one of this trilogy series. I was still able to understand and enjoy this book w...more
Nora St Laurent
I was so excited to get a review copy of this book, which is the sequel to The Real Enemy. Kathy Herman puts her characters in a new police drama at work and at home.

Police Chief Brill and her husband, Kurt, welcome their daughter, Vanessa, everyone’s looking for a fun, peaceful summer. But, news from Vanessa squashes all that! They meet Ethan, Vanessa's friend from college, who came home with her to lessen the blow she was to tell her parents.

At work, Brill is being stalked by an inmate just re...more
ChrisGA
This second book of the Sophie Trace Trilogy returns with Chief Jessup in another crisis situation at work and at home. She is threatened by a criminal she once sent to jail, and she must deal with the deaths he perpetrated trying to get to her. Pressured by the mayor and forcibly hiding her emotional reaction to the death of her friends, she once again puts in long, seemingly fruitless hours trying to catch the bad guy. At home, she must deal with her daughter’s unwed pregnancy. In both inciden...more
Sunflower
"The Last Word" is my first Christian/suspense novel to read and I was really just surprised how quickly I got caught up with reading "The Last Word".

Set in the fictional small town of Sophie Trace, Tennessee with the Smoky Mountains as a backdrop, "The Last Word" is really a book of two storys.

On one side you have, Police Chief Jessup dealing with a mysterious pattern of murders that are leading to her and on the other hand, you have the story of a couple, Police Chief Jessup and her husband,...more
Stephanie
This book is another good example of well-done Christian mystery/suspense fiction. The main character Brill Jessup is still the police chief of Sophie Trace. This time, however, the threat that has entered the town is looking for her. An old case from her past has return, leaving injured (and worse) officers in its wake. Unfortunately, Brill is unable to focus on fully on the case at hand. At the same time officers are been attacked under her watch, there is an upheaval on the homefront which bl...more
Anna Allen hill
2nd one was good too! Great example of never giving up! can't wait to finish the trilogy!
Joanne Fetzer
A bit unrealistic and far-fetched. This was my first Kathy Herman book and I understand it is the 2nd in a series so maybe that was my problem. However, having said that, I also couldn't put it down. I kept reading because I was curious enough as to how the plot would unravel. It was engaging, but certain aspects of the plot that were revealed near the end just weren't believable, to me.
Renee
Imagine NCIS and Criminal Minds combined with Seventh Heaven ---- and you get this very good Christian criminal drama/suspense novel. It's the second in a series but only a few pieces were missing (I need to find the first to learn the details of what happened to young daughter Emily and the problems in Brill's marriage). I am going to be putting the third book on my TBR list to find out more about the lives of the Jessup family.
Sarah Long
Terrible ending. Not even remotely believable.
Lori
This was the first time I had read anything by Kathy Herman but I have to say it was a very good book. If I had known this was a part of a series when I started it, I would have read book one first. I liked this book because it had not only mystery in it, but romance as well and was a Christian book. It also dealt with some interesting subjects as well.
Lexi Snow
AGain this book was worse than the first!! I hated them both and I would hate to have to read the third book!! It is christian books and I don't really like those, but I read this book to make my grandmother happy and never again will I read anything like this again!! YES, it was really that bad!!
Dianne
well I thought the plot was flowing, Vanessa had her relationships with her parents that needed confronting, plus being a single mum is not the ideal but with family support I think she will get through the next phase then stand on her own feet. Nick's Grill is a good meeting place.
Amy
the second of a trilogy of a small Southern town (I didn't know this was a trilogy until I finished the book) a cop is under attack by a former bust she made and her collage age daughter shows up pregnant--wound through with stories of faith--a nice read
Leanne
Another good mystery in the Sophie Trace series. She weaves family conflict together with a killer threatening the family with turns and twists to make it interesting. I am eager to read the next and final book in this series.
Nancy
May 22, 2010 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Police Chief Brill Jessup must deal with a killer bent on revenge as well as her daughter's unplanned, unwed pregnancy. A page turner with a surprising ending.
Linda Jennings
Dont know if I could witness in these circumstances. Shows if you follow God's prodding you will have the last Word!
Angela
I realized after I brought it home that it was 2nd in a triology. Guess I have to read 1 and 3 because 2 was awesome!
Pamela Leinenweaver
such a very good book liked this one alot better than the first but all of her books are awesome just love them all...
Erin Carr
This Christian fiction author kept me reading and reading until the very end!!!! So suspenseful!
Susan
This was excellent, as always. Ms. Herman's books always feed me spiritually.
Leigh Ann
This trilogy gets better and better!
Eldon
3.5 stars really.
Best-selling suspense novelist Kathy Herman has written twenty novels—including the Secrets or Roux River Bayou Series, Sophie Trace Series, the Seaport Suspense Series, and the Phantom Hollow Series—since retiring from her family’s Christian bookstore business. She and her husband, Paul, have three grown children and live in Tyler, Texas.
More about Kathy Herman...
False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #1) The Real Enemy Tested by Fire Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy, #1) Ever Present Danger (Phantom Hollow Series, #1)