Start by marking “Secret Vampire (Night World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secret Vampire (Night World, #1)

Secret Vampire (Night World #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,209 Ratings  ·  393 Reviews
The series takes place in a world similar to our own but one where vampires, witches, werewolves and shape-shifters live among humans without their knowledge. These supernatural races make up a secret society known as the Night World, which enforces two fundamental laws to prevent discovery: 1) Never allow humans to gain knowledge of the Night World's existence and, 2) Nev ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Vampire, please sign up.

Diana Braxton I do not consider this book cheesy, especially when we look at other ones like Twilight.

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Poppy North is a typical sixteen-year old--she gets through school by being smarter than her teachers; likes to irritate her straight-laced twin brother, Phil; listens to New Age and techno music; has a secret crush on her best friend, James; and wakes up on the first morning of summer vacation before her senior year of high-school with nothing more paramount on her mind than what she can do with an entire summer spent with James.

Until the pain in her abdomen,
Rachel Lightwood
I don't know what I was expecting with this book (or series even), but it certainly wasn't this. Along the lines of Rachel Hawthorne's Dark Guardians series, Secret Vampire was a somewhat cheesy paranormal romance that defied its cliches and managed to be fun, sweet, funny and an all-round pleasant read.

I loved the characters, especially James, and the way that the characters grew and evolved as they were forced to make difficult choices. Phil was an annoying character at first, but we got to se
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 21, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it really liked it
a story that starts hopeless and end happy.
a not-so-classic vampire love story.
Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
I decided to reread this series a couple years ago, but I didn't make it very far for some reason. This series has always been my least favorite of all Smith's work (except for her first two fantasy novels, which aren't really my jam), but it made an impact on me as a young teen nonetheless.

This book was different than it was in my memory (it had been a looooonnngggg time since I'd read it). For one thing, Poppy and James' relationship wasn't as nice and harmless as I'd always believed. He treat
Inge
"The laws of the Night World are very clear: humans must never learn that the Night World exists. And members of the Night World must never fall in love with a human. Violate the laws and the consequences are terrifying.

These are the stories about what happens when the rules get broken."

If I remember correctly, Secret Vampire is my least favourite story of the Night World series. I love the storyline - girl is diagnosed with terminal cancer and her best friend, who can't imagine living without
HannahCassie
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

I own 9 books of Night World so it was just about time I get to read them. I didn't really expect anything, I know L.J.Smith style of writing, I love it but it's rare for it to be mind blowing. Except in Vampire Diaries of course.

While reading the book I actually realized that I have read it a very long time ago. I did not remember much or how the story is gonna end but it felt like deja vu very ofter.

THE WORLD: The everyday surrounding world is just like our
Honistie
Jun 06, 2010 Honistie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an adult I rated this as a 2 star. The story had potential and the characters are likable. Poppy was well developed and we learned about James as we read the book. Phil, Poppy’s twin brother acted in many ways that any brother who cared for his sister would act. Phil also did some things a sane person would not if the situations were real. I feel the mother and step-father should have played a bigger role in the story. It was like they were there only because Poppy is a teenager and they HAD ...more
Michèle Beck
Apr 03, 2012 Michèle Beck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poppy (oui, Poppy !!) est amoureuse en secret de son meilleur ami James, depuis toujours. C'est les vacances, avec toutes ses promesses de doigts de pied en éventail sur la plage avec James, tout est parfait, mais Poppy a des douleurs au ventre et, inquiète, sa maman lui fait consulter le docteur... pour apprendre que Poppy est condamnée, qu'il ne lui reste que quelques semaines à vivre.

C'est bien sûr le choc pour tout le monde, surtout pour James, qui lui aussi l'aime en secret (comme c'est mig
JANA
Oct 18, 2015 JANA added it
خیلی خیلی داستان جذابی بود من واقعا عاشق این کتابم.مخصوصا عاشق اون شخصیتش جیمز هستم.وااااقعا جذابه
Arlene
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

As I eagerly await for the next installment of my fave vampire series, I decided to pick up The Night World by L.J. Smith to get my healthy dose of paranorm. I wasn’t amazed with the first book in the series, but I can’t say that I was disappointed either. The characters in this story are not entirely captivating, but I was interested enough in the storyline and plot to plow through and see where it took me.

My favorite character in this book is Phil because I like
Rhylee
Oct 02, 2011 Rhylee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secret Vampire by L. J. Smith

The first day of summer should be exciting, a day in which three whole months lay before you. But for 16 year old Poppy it won’t be quite the same. Diagnosed with a incurable cancer, Poppy now has less than the summer left to live. Luckily, her best friend and secret crush, James hides a secret. One that could save her or kill her faster.

The Night World is a secret society of vampires, witches, shifters and, werewolves.They only have two laws:
1)Never let humans k
Tania (Real-Listen-Feel)
Avis sur mon blog: http://read-listen-feel.skyrock.com

Après Le journal d'un vampire, je me suis lancée dans cette nouvelle série de L. J. Smith. Je dois vous avertir immédiatement, c'est le livre que j'ai lu le plus rapidement de toute ma vie. J'ai dévoré ce livre en à peine une soirée, et une partie de nuit. Ce n'est peut-être pas le meilleur roman que j'aie lu, mais il a au moins le mérite de m'avoir captivé le temps d'une soirée.
Dès la première phrase de ce roman, on apprend que Poppy va mou
Kushnuma
Aug 26, 2015 Kushnuma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this book after quite some time. Absolutely love this series!
Allison
Feb 12, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I was not expecting that ending. All I can say is plot twist. I loved the ending even though it's not what I was expecting.
My opinion of the book is Very Good. The only thing it has the same with Twilight is vampires, romance, and suspense. People judge a book by it's cover and title because if it has the word vampire in it they think Twilight.I just want other people to try to read it and see if they like it. I personally think the book is very good.
I suggest you read it because it is a ve
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

Poppy was a regular sixteen-year-old girl that found out about a pancreas cancer on her first day of vacation from high school. As the disease was in a terminal instance, there was nothing that the medicals or anybody could do for Poppy.

Anybody human, that is.

James, Poppy’s childhood best friend, is a vampire. He can save her and make all the pain go away. But can Poppy accept him for who he truly is and leave the w
Connie
Dec 11, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Source: I own a bind up of books 1, 2 and 3 of this series.
Cost: Free gift

Title: Secret Vampire
Series: Night World #1
Author: LJ Smith
Overall Rating: 4 stars

I haven't read this series in so long that while I was moving about my bookshelf, I sat down and opened it up again and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I love LJ Smith, if y'all didn't know, and I loved finding a series that I had forgotten about and remembering how much I loved it!

The stories are so good!
David Pimenta
O Vampiro Secreto, o primeiro volume da série Mundo da Noite, conta a história de Poppy quando lhe é diagnosticado cancro do pâncreas em estado terminal e o seu melhor amigo e apaixonado James, destroçado perante tal acontecimento concede-lhe a possibilidade de viver para sempre transformando-a em vampira. No entanto isso, significa violar as leis do Mundo da Noite. São elas: os humanos nunca devem saber da existência do Mundo da Noite e os que pertencem a este mundo não devem apaixonar-se por h ...more
Domika
Knihu jsem si vybrala kvůli velmi pozitivním ohlasům ostatních bloggerů, kteří označovali Říši temnot, za jednu z nejlepších knih od L.J.Smith. Rozhodla jsem se, si knihu tedy přečíst a zjistit, jestli je doopravdy tak dobrá, jak většina tvrdí.

Hlavní hrdinkou příběhu je šestnáctiletá studentka Poppy, která se dozví, že ji do konce života zbývá pouhých pár týdnů. Trpí totiž rakovinou slinivky, kterou přežije jenom jedno procento pacientů. Poppy se pomalu začíná smiřovat s tím, že brzy umře. S jej
Bibliotropic
Sailor  Mercury
Sweet.
That is one word that describes this book. The characters were sweet, the romance was sweet, etc.
Still, do not let that word fool you. This isn't some childish fairy tale, or one of those cheesy romances with no story or depth behind them, despite the corny covers with bad hair cuts and scary witch-like villains which do not appear in the story.
Now, I could - should? - write a small summary of the story, but the premise is right there. So I won't. Instead, enjoy a nice photo of a cat, an
Sara Rehnström
It was a cute story, really. About a girl desperately clinging to life in face of death, how you can lose everything you thought was safe and then gain everything you thought would be impossible.

When you are faced with the decision of saving the one you love, but shouldn't love according to the law, and saving yourself, it always comes down to love. So it was a bit predictable in that sense, but still cute.
My favorite part was the ending, where a small twist appears that made me grin. I guess w
Terry
Aug 08, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very tender, sweet love story that made me feel like a teenager again while reading it. The storyline is different from any other I've read before. Poppy, a vibrant, energetic & happy teenager whose world comes crashing down on her when she finds out she has a terminal cancer in it's advanced stages. She doesn't have long to live & who comes to her rescue, but her best friend since childhood, James. He has a secret though, and the only way he can save her, is to reveal it to he ...more
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
Dec 02, 2013 Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) by: April Mcmahon
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Unfortunately this book only gets 2 stars. I was a little disappointed with this story. I adore L J Smith's The Vampire Diaries series, so I had high expectations, but if fell short. The whole story seemed rushed to me. The beginning was interesting, but rather slow. There was an urgent need to turn Poppy before her disease killed her and that worked fine for me because it felt realistic. After she was turned, everything happened
Trinity
May 26, 2012 Trinity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was actually impressed with this novel. After being completely underwhelmed by The Vampire Diaries series I was apprehensive to start this one. However, I believe LJ Smith really knocked it out if the ballpark with this one.
Poppy is a 16 year old girl who is completely bubbly and full of life. She has a loving family and friends that adore her. Her life is perfect in so many ways... Until she is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Her life quickly goes on a downward spiral.
All of
This was the first vampire book I read. I was 15, in high school. At that time, i usually read the the likes of John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon and Robert Ludlum. I borrowed A TIME TO KILL to a class mates and she gave this book in exchange. I have to admit, I wasn't exactly excited. I liked books with conspiracies and lots of action, a book about a vampire? Everyone knows vampires don't exist. Or werewolves or witches. I always thought such books were targeted for kids but boy was I wrong! This bo ...more
Zoey Nealon
Aug 08, 2015 Zoey Nealon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my 'Twilight' during my school years and I still enjoy reading it even now.
4 out of 5 stars!
Debra
Jan 25, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: projecttbr-2015
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Lynda
Jul 14, 2010 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book as I have liked all of the L.J. Smith books I have read.

Sometimes I forget that vampire books are really part of the horror genre. Since vampires have been showing up in romances, mysteries, and even comic writing, it is easy to forget that they are horror. Secret Vampire makes this clear. Yes, it is a love story, but it also makes clear that being a vampire is about death and killing.

As always, Smith kept me enthralled through the whole book. Even better, this was a b
Sally Balboa
Oct 04, 2014 Sally Balboa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series when I was 14, and I thoroughly enjoyed then as I do now. No, it's not the best written thing ever or even L.J. Smiths best work, but it's a nice quick read for people who find vampires and love story's fascinating.

Secret Vampire follows Poppy through a rare illness in teenagers. Pancreatic Cancer. She'd been having the pains for a while, and James could tell there was something wrong with her but he didn’t say anything How can he explain his vampire powers without explaining
Iba
Nov 29, 2015 Iba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Konečne to mám za sebou. YES! Nejakých posledných 40 strán to bolo jednoducho trápenie, ale nechcela som zaradiť ďalšiu knihu medzi knihy, ktoré čítam už pekných pár rokov a v živote sa k nim už nedostanem.
(view spoiler)
  • Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire #5)
  • Shadow kissed: Dimitri's POV (Vampire Academy, #3.1)
  • Mark of the Wolf (Wolves of Black River, #1)
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Her Billionaire Alpha (Moon Pack Rules #2)
  • Seducing the Dragon: Part 4 (Stonefire Dragons, #2 part 4 of 4)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Werewolf (Changeling Encounters, #3)
  • Claimed by the Elven King: Part Four
  • Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)
  • Accidentally Wolf (Mystic Wolves, #1)
  • Coercion Part 3 (Montana Dragons, #3)
  • Bound to Night (Sisters of the Moon, #1)
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • The New Alpha
  • Soul Mate
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

Night World (10 books)
  • Daughters of Darkness (Night World, #2)
  • Spellbinder (Night World, #3)
  • Dark Angel (Night World, #4)
  • The Chosen (Night World, #5)
  • Soulmate (Night World, #6)
  • Huntress (Night World, #7)
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • Witchlight (Night World, #9)
  • Strange Fate (Night World, #10)

“You don't love a girl because of beauty. You love her because she sings a song only you can understand.” 2199 likes
“You know, you've never really cared about anyone," he said. "But someday you will, and it's going to hurt. It's going to hurt a lot.” 540 likes