Start by marking “2044: The Problem Isn't Big Brother. It's Big Brother, Inc.” as Want to Read:
2044: The Problem Isn't Big Brother. It's Big Brother, Inc.

2044: The Problem Isn't Big Brother. It's Big Brother, Inc.

2044" starts where George Orwell's 1984 left off. The problem isn't Big Brother and the leviathan government. It's Big Brother, Inc., and the all-powerful marketplace. In "2044," engineer Malcolm Moore discovers a cheap, easy way to take the salt out of seawater. Fresh water is scarce enough right now; by the year 2044, people will die and countries will go to war for ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about 2044, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2044

Arthur Gershman
Nov 22, 2012 Arthur Gershman rated it it was amazing
2044 owes much to Orwell's 1984. Allusions abound. Eric's first novel is an attempt to warn us all of the dangers we face from The Corporation, Big Brother, which seems to control all commerce in this brave new world.
The main characters are Malcolm, a worker in corporate America, Jessica, a lawyer who becomes Malcolm's girlfriend, David, Jessica;s young son, and a mysterious corporate leader, Jackson. Malcolm's revolt against the water grabbing Big Brother results in ... But that would be spoili
Ian
Aug 03, 2013 Ian rated it did not like it
I was on the line between one and two stars for this one, as it is fairly poorly written, the plot drags, and the overall premise really just doesn't work like you'd expect it's going to. In the end, I ended up going with one star, as I just can't think of a single person I know who would enjoy reading this book (and I know quite a few people who like dystopian and anti-corporation fiction), and in addition, the book's attempt to ride 1984´s coatails could not be less warranted. 1.4 stars, ...more
C F
Nov 17, 2009 C F rated it really liked it
In his book Democracy, Inc. leading political scientist Sheldon Wolin coined the phrase "inverted totalitarianism" to describe today's system: one in which economic institutions dominate the political system, restricting the freedom of the rest of us.

2044 takes this premise and plots it out as sci-fi. The central battle is the one that we are watching grow into the battle of our time: the control of water.

Diane
May 03, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really liked this. It touches on some very scary and yet realistic points of our society. In fact a little too realistic. Eric, were you watching me working? Well done. Please write another one.
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2012
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Andy Norman
Andy Norman rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Matt Minkin
Matt Minkin rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Courtney Mcgee
Courtney Mcgee rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Ken Lamberton
Jul 08, 2009 Ken Lamberton rated it it was amazing
If you love Orwell's 1984, you have to read this one!
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Bhavit
Bhavit rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Hobbes
Hobbes rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Jessica Michelle
Jessica Michelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Deborah Emin
Deborah Emin rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2011
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2009
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2010
Stephanie Momber
Stephanie Momber marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2010
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2010
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2010
Stesse
Stesse marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2011
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2011
A Lauren
A Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2011
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2011
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Amalio Escobar
Amalio Escobar marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Eric Lotke has cooked in five-star restaurants and flushed every toilet in the Washington D.C. jail. He has filed headline lawsuits and published headline research on crime, prisons and sex offenses. His latest book, Making Manna, is an uplifting tale of triumph over economic and criminal injustice.

More about Eric Lotke...