Start by marking “Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)

Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captain's Table #4)

There's a bar called "The Captain's Table, " where those who have commanded mighty vessels of every shape and era can meet, relax, and share a friendly drink or two with others of their calling. Sometimes a brawl may break out but it's all in the family, more or less. Just remember, the first round of drinks is always paid for with a story...even in the Delta Quadrant.
A s
Published 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Fire Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Ship

Star Trek Into Darkness by Alan Dean FosterCountdown to Darkness by Roberto OrciThe Eternal Tide by Kirsten BeyerSeven of Nine by Christie GoldenThe Body Electric by David Mack
ON my TBR list
12th out of 23 books — 1 voter
Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardFoundation by Isaac AsimovCassastar by Alex J. Cavanaugh
Best Space Opera
335th out of 416 books — 905 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
I think that in this fourth novel of the book event The Captain's Table from the franchise Star Trek, the author, Diane Carey, choose an odd plot for this particular book event. Just like in the case of the book with Captain Picard. In this novel, Captain Kathryn Janeway got separated from her ship and crew and almost the entire tale she is like that. So, while it's a good premise that she is trapped in an alien ship and she must survive on her own, my expectation for a story about Janeway in th ...more
Lee
Aug 31, 2014 Lee rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
I wasn't crazy about this one. The characterization of Janeway was all wrong. The story itself was good, but I almost felt like I needed to pretend it wasn't Janeway in the story at all.

The last 10% of this book is pretty good. That's what earned it the two stars.

Morris Graham
Nov 21, 2014 Morris Graham rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love all of the Capatin's Table series. When a captain enters a mysterious bar, they only have to tell a story for their drinks. Time and space mean nothing here, Jean Lafette may be sitting at table with a Klingon captain. Voyager was my least-liked of the Star Trek series, but even so, this book holds its own. Janeway is separated from her ship and serves on an alien ship, hoping to prove herself from the bottom of the latter and also hopefully making her way back to Voayager. As ...more
Daniel
Jun 24, 2014 Daniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This entry into the Captain's Table miniseries of Star Trek novels has a few good things going for it. First, Carey chooses to isolate Janeway in the plot from the other members of Voyager's crew, thereby focusing solely on the captain and not getting bogged down with B-plots with other established characters. In contrast to some of the other previous books, she also stays close to the story, not the act of Janeway 'telling the story' in the bar. The previous novel in the series, with Sisko fell ...more
David
Feb 06, 2012 David rated it really liked it
I was most surprised with the prose of the first chapter! I have read many StarTrek novels by Diane Carey & I've always liked them but the opening chapter seemed much better than any other book of hers I've read!

I read the book in a total state of confusion - not knowing whether she was telling a "tall story" at the "Captain's Table" or whether this was a real experience she had gone through! Even in the closing page I wasn't 100% sure!!!

I was amazed at her (Diane Carey) ability to create
I had trouble getting into this book. 3.5/5
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Aug 18, 2013 Jacque Hodges (Carter) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
My favorite of the Captain's Table tales so far. I missed the Voyager crew because they weren't a large part of the story. Very tense. You know that Janeway gets back where she belongs otherwise she wouldn't be telling the story, but still....Lots of philosophising. One forgets how "entitled" the captain's are and it's good to see them in another role.
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was ok
I like Janeway immensly, but in this book her characterization is way off. She comes across as a paper thin stereotype with a very narrow and not horribly cerebral view on life. She definitely is not a scientist or a diplomat in this one. Furthermore Carey's bold choice of narrational style doesn't really work, making the novel hard to get a grip of.
Rose
Aug 12, 2016 Rose marked it as tried-to-read
So very, very slow -- and way too much telling over showing. I've liked some of Carey's other works; this one just didn't quite do it for me.
Kristine
Mar 23, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Recommended to Kristine by: Juan
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
If you love Star Trek, particularly if you love Janeway this book features her at her best. The book is very reminiscent of Voyager episodes. Drops you in the middle and you scramble to figure out what's going along right along with the characters. It was so much fun. I still miss The TV show and this was a nice trip back.
Phil
Jul 17, 2011 Phil rated it it was ok
An interesting little book. I give it full marks for taking a Starfleet captain and busting them down to crewman and making them actually deserve the post of leader. All in all, I think the plot was predictable, but a decent story. The ending, like most Star Trek endings, was rushed and cliche.
Athena Braun
Dec 14, 2010 Athena Braun rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I tried to like this book but halfway through I just got bored, majorly bored....Plus Janeway just didn't sound like herself..I don't know something was off about this book to me..Mosaic is a better choice if U want to read about Janeway....
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of most Voyager books, but I felt this one delivered. Perhaps because it was a "could be" story.
GARETH J. BOWLEY
GARETH J. BOWLEY rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Tina Jensen
Tina Jensen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Eilidh Montgomery
Eilidh Montgomery marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Rene'
Rene' added it
Aug 25, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Lester
Lester rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Cf Bowers
Cf Bowers rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Russell Williams
Russell Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Thea
Thea rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2016
Sarah Brubaker
Sarah Brubaker marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Once Burned (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #5)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Pathways (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Battle Lines (Star Trek Voyager, #18)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Timetrap
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: The Captain's Table (7 books)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Once Burned (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #5)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus