Start by marking “Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table

Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table (Star Trek: The Captain's Table)

In this follow-up to the bestselling Captain's Table series of books, nine new Star Trek captains belly up to the bar to tell their tales of adventure and romance, of triumph and tragedy, of duty and honor, of debts paid and prices exacted, including:

Jonathan Archer of the Starship Enterprise, as told by Louisa Swann

Chakotay of the U.S.S. Voyager, as told by Christie G

Published June 14th 2005 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Ojan
Apr 09, 2014 Ojan rated it liked it
Enjoyed the read. It was not outstanding when averaged out. With multiple short stories written in varying styles from multiple authors, it is difficult to judge the book as a whole. A couple stories were excellent, a couple were just okay. I very much liked the concept of "The Captain's Table" and will definitely look for others in this series.
Angela
A short story collection featuring all eras of Star Trek. I really like the idea of 'The Captain's Table' bar and think they should do more books using this device. There's a variety of tales here, from the swashbuckling of Rikers honeymoon, to the seriousness of Kiras' brother, to the complete fantasy of Porthos the beagle spy. The fun of this book is that every story is vastly different. A good read.
John Kirk
Oct 11, 2014 John Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
As you'd expect from an anthology, this is a bit of a mixed bag. I bought it to read Peter David's story about Captain Shelby, which was excellent. KRAD's Klag story and John Ordover's Gold story were decent too. The others were ok to pass the time, but I probably won't bother re-reading them.

Looking at David George's story about Demora Sulu, this demonstrated the problem with a 1st person narrative: it didn't really feel convincing as an off-the-cuff story, particularly with the vocabulary used
Amy
Jul 08, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: mom-owns

VERY disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to this compilation.

First of all, the setup is just cheesy and feels like a cop-out. And there is no consistency. A few stories include the storytelling framework within the story, e.g. the other bar patrons ask questions throughout. On the other extreme was Picard's story which wasn't even told in the first person. Someone edit this, please.

Also, would it kill them to explain at the beginning of each story who each captain is? It too
David Palazzolo
Oct 14, 2013 David Palazzolo rated it really liked it
I only bought this book for the New Frontier story which I found riveting. I'll read the other stories after I finish the New Frontier novels. To that end:

Welcome to chapter 21 of the overall series of Star Trek: The New Frontier, or what I like to call Star Trek: The Prime Time Soap. This story picks up some time after Stone and Anvil. The tension between the Federation and the Selevian race left at the end of that novel has exploded into a full fledged war with the Tholians allying themselves
Trev
Oct 15, 2015 Trev rated it liked it
A mixed bag to say the least. I think part of the enjoyment of this book will come from which of these characters you have followed in the various book series. For example, I found the story told by Demora Sulu a real struggle to get into (this being my first brush with this character) but half way through I got into that particular story.

All of them are well written even if some of them will leave you scratching your head wondering what is going on or why the story is what it is, but that is pe
Curren
Oct 05, 2014 Curren rated it really liked it
My 4 star review is sole based on judging this book for what it is: a Star Trek novel. There is a different author for each chapter, or "captain's story" so the writing quality varies. Most of the writing was okay, a few chapters were somewhat poorly written. Otherwise the idea behind the book is clever and I liked hearing stories about captains that I would not have seen on the tv shows. It helped me appreciate the characters more, and introduced me to new ones. If you are a Star Trek fan, this ...more
Jim
Jun 14, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
This collection of stories is uneven, but overall a good read. All the stories are character pieces that don't focus on action or science, but life lessons learned by the characters. The only story that I flat out didn't like was the one focused on Captain Archer. If you liked the format of the Captain's Table series of novels, than I think this collection will satisfy you.
Mark
May 26, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This amusing collection of short stories is edited by Keith R. A. DeCandido who also contributes a story featuring Klag. Other featured captains are Riker, Picard, Elizabeth Shelby, Kira Nerys, Chakotay, Demora Sulu, David Gold, and Jonathan Archer. Of course, none of them can live up to the legend of Porthos, badass beagle and cheese connoisseur.

Published in trade paperback by Pocket Books.
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Apr 17, 2013 Jacque Hodges (Carter) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I love Star Trek. There were a couple of tales that I didn't care for in particular but I think it was more because I wasn't familiar with the captain telling the story than the story itself. At any rate, Yay! Star Trek!
Lindsey Cook
Jul 06, 2013 Lindsey Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy-sci-fi
I enjoyed this one. Some stories were better then others. I particularly enjoyed Chakotay's, Golds and Kira's. Archer's was kinda funny, b/c you knew it was all made up. An enjoyable read.
Marco
Jul 06, 2013 Marco rated it liked it
Collection of short stories by quite a few starship commanders.
Nice read, good for a quick fix of Star Trek literature.
Allisson Reed
Jun 15, 2011 Allisson Reed rated it it was amazing
Fun, light reading. Mission accomplished. Belly up to the mystical bar, prepare to be entertained.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Very well put together, and each tale is kind of nifty. Sort of the fiction of the fictional universe.
infael
infael rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Shafiq Chaudhary
Shafiq Chaudhary rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2008
Dan MacMillan
Dan MacMillan rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2015
Misty Dawn
Misty Dawn rated it liked it
May 03, 2008
Nemesisau
Nemesisau rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2008
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2012
Amanda Shafer
Amanda Shafer rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Leonard
Leonard rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Ami_Ven
Ami_Ven rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Ron Bailey
Ron Bailey rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2009
Shannon J.
Shannon J. rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Gordon Horne
Gordon Horne rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Alan Crowetz
Alan Crowetz rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)
  • Three (Star Trek: Stargazer, #3)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Engines of Destiny (Star Trek (Unnumbered Paperback))
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Well of Souls (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2336)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds II

Star Trek: The Captain's Table (7 books)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)
  • Once Burned (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #5)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus