Start by marking “Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table

Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table (Star Trek: The Captain's Table)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this follow-up to the bestselling Captain's Table series of books, nine new Star Trek captains belly up to the bar to tell their tales of adventure and romance, of triumph and tragedy, of duty and honor, of debts paid and prices exacted, including:

Jonathan Archer of the Starship Enterprise, as told by Louisa Swann

Chakotay of the U.S.S. Voyager, as told by Christie G

Published June 14th 2005 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Ojan
Enjoyed the read. It was not outstanding when averaged out. With multiple short stories written in varying styles from multiple authors, it is difficult to judge the book as a whole. A couple stories were excellent, a couple were just okay. I very much liked the concept of "The Captain's Table" and will definitely look for others in this series.
John Kirk
As you'd expect from an anthology, this is a bit of a mixed bag. I bought it to read Peter David's story about Captain Shelby, which was excellent. KRAD's Klag story and John Ordover's Gold story were decent too. The others were ok to pass the time, but I probably won't bother re-reading them.

Looking at David George's story about Demora Sulu, this demonstrated the problem with a 1st person narrative: it didn't really feel convincing as an off-the-cuff story, particularly with the vocabulary used
Amy

VERY disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to this compilation.

First of all, the setup is just cheesy and feels like a cop-out. And there is no consistency. A few stories include the storytelling framework within the story, e.g. the other bar patrons ask questions throughout. On the other extreme was Picard's story which wasn't even told in the first person. Someone edit this, please.

Also, would it kill them to explain at the beginning of each story who each captain is? It too
David Palazzolo
I only bought this book for the New Frontier story which I found riveting. I'll read the other stories after I finish the New Frontier novels. To that end:

Welcome to chapter 21 of the overall series of Star Trek: The New Frontier, or what I like to call Star Trek: The Prime Time Soap. This story picks up some time after Stone and Anvil. The tension between the Federation and the Selevian race left at the end of that novel has exploded into a full fledged war with the Tholians allying themselves
Curren
My 4 star review is sole based on judging this book for what it is: a Star Trek novel. There is a different author for each chapter, or "captain's story" so the writing quality varies. Most of the writing was okay, a few chapters were somewhat poorly written. Otherwise the idea behind the book is clever and I liked hearing stories about captains that I would not have seen on the tv shows. It helped me appreciate the characters more, and introduced me to new ones. If you are a Star Trek fan, this ...more
Mark
This amusing collection of short stories is edited by Keith R. A. DeCandido who also contributes a story featuring Klag. Other featured captains are Riker, Picard, Elizabeth Shelby, Kira Nerys, Chakotay, Demora Sulu, David Gold, and Jonathan Archer. Of course, none of them can live up to the legend of Porthos, badass beagle and cheese connoisseur.

Published in trade paperback by Pocket Books.
Jacque Hodges (Carter)
I love Star Trek. There were a couple of tales that I didn't care for in particular but I think it was more because I wasn't familiar with the captain telling the story than the story itself. At any rate, Yay! Star Trek!
Lindsey Cook
I enjoyed this one. Some stories were better then others. I particularly enjoyed Chakotay's, Golds and Kira's. Archer's was kinda funny, b/c you knew it was all made up. An enjoyable read.
Marco
Collection of short stories by quite a few starship commanders.
Nice read, good for a quick fix of Star Trek literature.
Benjamin Plume
Very well put together, and each tale is kind of nifty. Sort of the fiction of the fictional universe.
Allisson Reed
Fun, light reading. Mission accomplished. Belly up to the mystical bar, prepare to be entertained.
Fishsanwitt
Jan 27, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
George Goode
George Goode marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Greg Sorell
Greg Sorell marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Odis
Odis marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Cori
Cori added it
Mar 08, 2015
Brandy
Brandy added it
Feb 28, 2015
Eodeon
Eodeon marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Markel
Markel added it
Feb 18, 2015
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Well of Souls (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2336)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Three (Star Trek: Stargazer, #3)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds II
  • The Sundered (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2298)

Star Trek: The Captain's Table (7 books)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)
  • Once Burned (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #5)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • The Captain's Table Omnibus
Serenity Nevermore (Supernatural, #1) Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1) Bone Key (Supernatural, #3) Heart of the Dragon (Supernatural, #4)