Start by marking “Been There, Done That” as Want to Read:
Been There, Done That

Been There, Done That

Eddie on his ex-wives:

Debbie Reynolds: Debbie's whole life has been an act...When I left her for Elizabeth Taylor, she should have won an Academy Award for her portrayal of the wronged woman. [p. 83]

Elizabeth Taylor: If I had known that first night we spent together how our love was going to help destroy my career and, for a time, my life, if I had known how much pain my l
Published July 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Been There, Done That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Been There, Done That

Paul Bryant
You know I read this once but I really shouldn't've and you shouldn't neither so, you know, like, just don't. Use the time you save in doing something better, like, you could hoover your cupboards or call your mother or you could marry someone or you could just read something better than this thing like say Lobster Boy or really just about anything. I think I read it because I couldn't imagine anyone marrying Debbie Reynolds AND Elizabeth Taylor in one lifetime, never mind in one five year stret ...more
Colleen
Apr 17, 2011 Colleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: old-movies
Entertaining because you can tell Eddie Fisher has no idea of just how sleazy he is.
Treasure
Mar 23, 2009 Treasure rated it did not like it
Shelves: grown-up-books
Well, good thing Eddie can sing, because even with assistance, he is not a writer! He is also quite conceited and nothing, nothing in his drama filled life is ever his fault. Ugh.
Ice
May 11, 2010 Ice rated it it was amazing
Who would've thought that Eddie Fisher, cheesy pop singer, pipsqueak Mouseketeer to the Rat Pack, speed freak and coke fool, AWOL daddy, discarded Liz Taylor boy toy, and husband from hell, could pen a memoir as entertaining as his talented daughter Carrie's? Granted, he has the help of autobiographer to the stars David Fisher (no relation), but still, it's startling how sleekly readable Fisher's misadventures are, and shocking that he comes off with raffish charm and a sense of humor.

Don't worr
Kathie
Oct 24, 2016 Kathie rated it liked it
Before reading this book I don't remember ever hearing Eddie Fisher sing. I had heard his name and knew about his scandal when he left Debbie Reynolds and married Elizabeth Taylor. Other than that I didn't know much. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about Eddie Fisher, especially his addictions to drugs and sex. I don't know if half of the stuff in here is true but if it is WOW famous people can get away with a lot of sinful behaviors and have it hushed up by the media. Interesting tha ...more
Katy Felber
I love reading about old hollywood. After reading Carrie Fisher's "Wishful Drinking," I was compelled to read her father's autobiography. Eddie Fisher was a famous singer/actor and hung around with the Rat Pack. He speaks about his life, the women, the fame, the drugs. He talks about Sinatra, Dean Martin, Marilyn, Audrey, Debbie Reynolds (ex-wife), Elizabeth Taylor, to name a few. I just can't get enough. I love old movies and adore Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. Having a few of my favorites shed ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Jan 19, 2009 Mark Desrosiers marked it as to-read
Carrie enticed me to read this memoir in Wishful Drinking, first by referring to it as a novel, and second by informing us that all his elderly stoner dad tells us here is the quality of the sex he's had in his life, along with detailed descriptions of the bodies involved. Since two of them are Debbie Reynolds and Elizabeth Taylor, hell, I'll read it!
Dolly
Oct 11, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
crazy, fanatical eddie fisher, rip.
Sara
Feb 12, 2017 Sara rated it it was ok
Despite being filled with juicy celebrity gossip, I kept falling asleep while reading this book. It took me a while to get through it; I really gave it much more time and attention than it deserved. I think I was looking for some sort of introspection from the man, particularly regarding his children, but it really wasn't there. He sure fell in love a lot though, and his love was truer and bluer than anyone else's - until it wasn't. He fell in love with so many beautiful women in his life, that ...more
Julie
Jan 12, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Includes actual lists of people he slept with, turned down, was better or more famous than, or who clamored to work with him. Includes details about romantic relationships no one should ever give. But it's so entertaining. His humor toward himself regarding the Richard Burton situation was so amusing. A full life, indeed.
Tom Schulte
This was a fascinating read for Eddie's plain, open discussion of his descent into meth and cocaine addiction starting with the shots from Max Jacobson. Eddie names many fellow client with Dr. Feelgood and names the many women (and only women, he stresses) he had assignations with from his several wives to Ann-Margret, German-born model Renata Boeck, etc. Other than placing himself at the pinnacle from of the transition from golden throat and big band era (Sinatra, etc.) to group era (Beatles, e ...more
Karen B
Jan 22, 2017 Karen B rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
I think this book should have been titled Been There, Hit That. My mom wanted me to read this so we could discuss it. Yuck.
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
I have a soft spot for my biography's and I always seem to gravitate towards those actors/ singers from the early 90s. That's where the curiosity lies.

Eddie Fisher is disgustingly unashamed in the way he demeans and throws around names of famous friends. He exposes many secrets and hardly holds back when it comes to old flames, ex wives including Elizabeth Taylor. But the one who really get's it is Debbie Reynolds. Poor women.

Oh there are no boundaries in this bio and he lays it all on the tabl
Stephany G
Oct 22, 2014 Stephany G rated it liked it
Well this was an interesting biography. I had to keep looking up all the people that were mentioned since I'm not as familiar with this era of movie stars, and I also did a little research on some of the people mentioned after completing the book. If you know anything about Eddie Fisher (I didn't), then I hope you are prepared to learn that he is a narcissist. He did love Elizabeth Taylor, that much is clear, but this book didn't give me a good impression of him at all.
Mary
Feb 23, 2016 Mary rated it did not like it
Checked into a VRBO and found this book on a shelf in the bedroom. It was like finding a Twinkie in a forgotten drawer. I had to read it - well, just the juicy parts. It was bad - lots of talk about how women found him irresistible. The major scandals weren't new to me, but I didn't know about Eddie's drug use.
Kim
Dec 16, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
Only read this because I got interested in the making of Cleopatra (the film). A gauche tell-all for sure, but it was his story to tell. Now off to watch Carrie Fisher's rebuttal film, the dismally reviewed "These Old Broads" starring Debbie Reynolds and Liz Taylor in her last film performance.
Bluegirl
Nov 01, 2008 Bluegirl rated it it was amazing
Lots of salacious gossip in this autobiography. Not too many people remember Eddie Fisher, shame, as he was a fine singer.
This book is riveting from start to finish. Eddie doesn't hold back.
Melissa
Melissa rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2017
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2010
Zach McGillis
Zach McGillis rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Sarah rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2015
Vickie
Vickie rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Nan Sprester
Nan Sprester rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2017
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2010
Ann Finch
Ann Finch rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Cilla Harrison
Cilla Harrison rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2010