Start by marking “The Lifeguard” as Want to Read:
The Lifeguard

James Patterson

The Lifeguard

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  21,524 Ratings  ·  790 Reviews
Working as a lifeguard in a posh Florida resort, Ned Kelley finds the woman of his dreams. The only thing he needs is money. So when his friends offer to cut him into a deal that promises $1,000,000 each, how can he turn it down? The plan is simplea fast break-and-enter to grab paintings from a rich collector. But on the night of the heist, theyre double-crossed. Worse, Ne ...more
Broché, 394 pages
Published July 31st 2005 by Time Warner Book Group (first published July 11th 2005)

Lain
Nov 28, 2011 Lain rated it it was ok
Oh my goodness, but this was bad! I love James Patterson, but I won't be looking for a book co-authored by Andrew Gross any time soon. And, guys? We are smart. Smart enough NOT to need you to repeat people's names in every line of dialog ad nauseum. It is one of my pet peeves. Like, "Ellie, did you know I was coming? Did you know I'd wait for you, Ellie? Will you wait for me... Ellie?"
Bleh.
Plus the plot made no sense. The characters were indistinguishable and hard to follow. And the whole jump-i
Mike Lawson
I’m like a hypocritical “vegetarian” that goes around telling people how unhealthy beef is, and then I secretly stuff my face with quarter-pounders when no one is looking.

I’m a total book snob. You’re reading THAT? I’ll ask a friend after hearing about their latest grocery store book purchase. And then, when no one is around, I’ll quietly pull out another James Patterson novel and just consume it in a night.

Confession: I like James Patterson. So what? Sure, you can buy him at any airport kiosk.
Cookiemadeit
May 18, 2009 Cookiemadeit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Of course I read it on a vacation where all I had to do all day was sit by the pool and read! Seriously exhilarating read, the moment you start till the moment you finish! It would make a great movie. Murder, betrayal, manhunt and love story all rolled into one exciting book. It reads quickly, the characters are believable and the story is fun with a diabolical twist at the end!
Avnish
May 29, 2017 Avnish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it had all the ingredient to my liking , art theft , beach town , mystery ..only if it would have been written in a better way , felt like reading a movie script.
Alex
LIFEGUARD (Pub. 2005) by James Patterson and Andrew Gross was a very entertaining read. I finished it in less than 24-hrs. It's written in the classic Patterson style with extremely short chapters, a ritzy setting in Palm Beach and lots of action and plot twists. Good stuff overall that will keep you flipping the pages to see what happens next.

The story centers around Ned Kelly, who is a man in his late 20s that hasn't made the most of his life due to growing up in a family prone to crime instea
Bob
Aug 17, 2010 Bob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Jan 17, 2010 Holly Lee (Bellas Novella) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I would have to say that this book was just alright. I enjoyed it enough to finish it, but there were plenty of times when I was bored enough to put it down.

Lifeguard is a crime drama starring a lifeguard on the run. When an art heist goes wrong and all his friends turn up dead, he is fugitive #1 and manages to dig himself deeper and deeper in trouble, all the while trying to dig himself out.

The mystery aspect of the story was easy to figure out from the beginning, and the love interests were cl
Hamster
May 24, 2009 Hamster rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I don't understand how this guy is so popular!
After giving up on this tedious novel, I tried to skip to the end and see who the bad guy was. (I assure you this was only in case the person who'd recommended the book to me and whom I'd told I had read it, asked me questions.) It was horrible! I had to scan through nearly the whole second half of the book trying to find a bit of information I couldn't care less about. All in all I felt like Mr. Patterson owed me a couple hours of my life back.
Cyanemi
Feb 10, 2010 Cyanemi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty lame and predictable. Very easy read. The situations were not beleivable and the characters were uninteresting. I question if Patterson wrote much of it.
C.j.
Aug 19, 2013 C.j. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finally got around to reading a James Patterson book. I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't disappointed. The book was given to me by a friend. The first 10 chapters were awesome. So much was happening. Then the following 100+ chapters weren't as interesting. (Seriously the book was like 118 chapters. I kind of liked that though). The story was about a man, Ned Kelly. His lifelong friends ask him to help with a huge art heist for a $5 million payout. The heist goes very wrong, with all h ...more
Kimberly
May 19, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ned Kelly was looking for the perfect score. At the time he finally felt like his life was turning around, he made a huge mistake. He thought he had just met the woman of his dreams, but he needed the million dollars promised in this act. The only thing Ned had to do was make distractions, but these distractions came back to haunt him. Thankfully, Ned had a big supporter, who eventually turned into a lover, Ellie Shurtleff, an FBI agent. Great book! It keeps you reading to see what happens next, ...more
Trish Jackson
Feb 04, 2015 Trish Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Ned Kelly comes from a seedy area of Boston, where most residents are into something illegal, he has somehow managed to keep his record clean. He is qualified as a teacher, but due to circumstances beyond his control, he is working as a handyman for his super wealthy uncle in Miami and earns extra money being a lifeguard

When he meets, and has mind-blowing sex with the woman of his dreams, he knows life has changed for the better. Then his cousin and three best friends ask him to help i
Justin Newman
Jun 21, 2013 Justin Newman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it was bound to happen eventually...I found a Patterson novel with a bit of depth to it! I read Patterson because his writing is light, quick, and forgettable, and sometimes it's precisely what I'm in the mood for.

This novel, however, actually has a bit more going on under the surface. Yes, the chapters are still super short and yes, there are bits that seem too easily resolved, but there is some staying power in this one.

What I like the most is the hopefulness of this novel. Things go
Jaret
Aug 11, 2015 Jaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had an interesting and exciting storyline. I enjoyed the non-stop action and the twists and turns provided by Patterson and Gross. The characters were interesting (I loved Champ and would gladly read more about him) and I constantly wanted to read more. Until the ending. The authors should have ended the book a few chapters earlier than they did. By trying to wrap the story up with a pretty bow, I lost interest and stopped caring. If they had ended with the meeting between Ned and Sol ...more
Jeanne
Nov 15, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read / listen of a James Patterson novel was a pleasant surprise!! Great story line with the mystery ending in a totally unexpected way. The extended epilogue provided a wonderfully warm ending despite the needless brutality that happened during the course of the story. Because of the awesome ending, 9 out of 10 for me!
Cláudia
Another usual Patterson (or is it Gross???) book, full of suspense, twists and action. There were some bits though I felt it weren't really explained, and I felt lost in a couple of situations, but nevertheless an enjoyable and quick read.
Miranda
Jan 28, 2017 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars.. quick read.. not one of Patterson's best. But, if you haven't read it check it out. Definitely good for a book you can knock out in a day.
Hily'e
Sep 30, 2016 Hily'e rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Great story with twists you won't see coming!
Becky
Sep 04, 2013 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good at all. Extra bonus though, the book was in large print and I didn't have to wear my glasses.
Julia
Jun 05, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't feel like this was 100% Patterson's usual style but still a very good easy read
Darren
Nov 14, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My father bought this book at a flea market. I enjoyed reading it. It is an older James Patterson book. I like the variety of characters in it. It is a well written book.
Kelsey Sullivan
I thought this book was very good! It kept me interested the whole way through.
Mads Den
Dec 08, 2016 Mads Den rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
horrible, horrible book.
Rosemary
Only my second Patterson book in years. Just finished Judge and Jury on audio too. Did not enjoy that one even though I finished. This was by far much more enjoyable. Thought to plot was interesting. The clique romantic interest wasn't unexpected but there was nothing unique about it. Characters likable enough. For listening in the car it was good. The end tied up neatly, expected, but not terribly original either. I wasn't surprised by that but would be nice to having a little more bang to it. ...more
Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 Geoff Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the usual breakneck speed, Patterson delivers twists and excitement in his usual narrative style. Make sure the brain is parked for this one, since the central theme (a mismatched buddy movie concept) requires a staggering leap of faith. That aside, the novel is great fun, with plenty of interesting (although somewhat stereotypical) characters and the pace never drops below a sprint. Offering easy reading for a few hours, Lifeguard is simple and fun.
Zeta Blankenship
Split Aces!

Ned Kelly, Lifeguard in Palm Beach, had the perfect job and now he had finally found the perfect woman on that beach. The problem was she was out of his league, financially, meaning she was money and he had none. In fact, Ned came from a family of cons, thieves, and jail time. He had stayed out of the games of chance and focused on ballgames winning him an athletic scholarship. He did that, did the job thing, and still bad luck followed so he went south, finding a job of leisure suite
Faith High School
I would highly recommend this book, including if you like mysteries. The story is about this guy named Ned Kelly, and he is a lifeguard at Palm Beach, and he fell in love with his girl named, Tess. Ned goes on mission, with his friends, and it didn't go as planned. His friends and him were set up and murders start to happen and Ned tries to figure out who is killing all of the people he is close to.
Amanda
Jul 21, 2017 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

I did not like the characters in this book. There was not nearly enough effort spent on building them. Ellie was not at all believable as an FBI agent. Many aspects of this plot were unrealistic to me. I wasn't drawn into this story like other Patterson creations. The fact that I finished it in one day was solely so I could be done with it and move on to something better.
Evelyn Wilson
Life styles of the rich and famous. Sometimes the rich get what they deserve and poor get more, much more. I love the way they made this Art thief FBI agent one of the heroes. Corruption, again, in all corners of the world. Cope can be bad and so can FBI agents. Which are good and which are bad.
Michele
Lifeguard was my first James Patterson book, I did not want to put it down, it was quick reading, had some suspense and enjoyed it very much. I liked it so much I picked up "Black Book" at the library this week. He and David Balducci have similar writing styles.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 13 Mar 11, 2016 05:57AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Lifeguard by James Patterson Summer Giveaway 1 11 Jun 24, 2012 02:17PM
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Boys Will Be Boys
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • The Prince of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron, #1)
  • Compulsion (Alex Delaware, #22)
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • Lost Lake
  • Adept
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Nighttime is my Time
  • The Day America Told the Truth
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...