Start by marking “The Lifeguard” as Want to Read:
The Lifeguard

James Patterson

The Lifeguard

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  18,924 ratings  ·  668 reviews
Working as a lifeguard in a posh Florida resort, Ned Kelley finds the woman of his dreams. The only thing he needs is money. So when his friends offer to cut him into a deal that promises $1,000,000 each, how can he turn it down? The plan is simplea fast break-and-enter to grab paintings from a rich collector. But on the night of the heist, theyre double-crossed. Worse, Ne ...more
Broché, 394 pages
Published July 31st 2005 by Time Warner Book Group (first published January 1st 2005)

Lain
Oh my goodness, but this was bad! I love James Patterson, but I won't be looking for a book co-authored by Andrew Gross any time soon. And, guys? We are smart. Smart enough NOT to need you to repeat people's names in every line of dialog ad nauseum. It is one of my pet peeves. Like, "Ellie, did you know I was coming? Did you know I'd wait for you, Ellie? Will you wait for me... Ellie?"
Bleh.
Plus the plot made no sense. The characters were indistinguishable and hard to follow. And the whole jump-i
Mike Lawson
I’m like a hypocritical “vegetarian” that goes around telling people how unhealthy beef is, and then I secretly stuff my face with quarter-pounders when no one is looking.

I’m a total book snob. You’re reading THAT? I’ll ask a friend after hearing about their latest grocery store book purchase. And then, when no one is around, I’ll quietly pull out another James Patterson novel and just consume it in a night.

Confession: I like James Patterson. So what? Sure, you can buy him at any airport kiosk.
Bob
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
I would have to say that this book was just alright. I enjoyed it enough to finish it, but there were plenty of times when I was bored enough to put it down.

Lifeguard is a crime drama starring a lifeguard on the run. When an art heist goes wrong and all his friends turn up dead, he is fugitive #1 and manages to dig himself deeper and deeper in trouble, all the while trying to dig himself out.

The mystery aspect of the story was easy to figure out from the beginning, and the love interests were cl
Cookiemadeit
I loved this book! Of course I read it on a vacation where all I had to do all day was sit by the pool and read! Seriously exhilarating read, the moment you start till the moment you finish! It would make a great movie. Murder, betrayal, manhunt and love story all rolled into one exciting book. It reads quickly, the characters are believable and the story is fun with a diabolical twist at the end!
Alex
LIFEGUARD (Pub. 2005) by James Patterson and Andrew Gross was a very entertaining read. I finished it in less than 24-hrs. It's written in the classic Patterson style with extremely short chapters, a ritzy setting in Palm Beach and lots of action and plot twists. Good stuff overall that will keep you flipping the pages to see what happens next.

The story centers around Ned Kelly, who is a man in his late 20s that hasn't made the most of his life due to growing up in a family prone to crime instea
Ryan
I don't understand how this guy is so popular!
After giving up on this tedious novel, I tried to skip to the end and see who the bad guy was. (I assure you this was only in case the person who'd recommended the book to me and whom I'd told I had read it, asked me questions.) It was horrible! I had to scan through nearly the whole second half of the book trying to find a bit of information I couldn't care less about. All in all I felt like Mr. Patterson owed me a couple hours of my life back.
C.j.
I did it! I finally got around to reading a James Patterson book. I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't disappointed. The book was given to me by a friend. The first 10 chapters were awesome. So much was happening. Then the following 100+ chapters weren't as interesting. (Seriously the book was like 118 chapters. I kind of liked that though). The story was about a man, Ned Kelly. His lifelong friends ask him to help with a huge art heist for a $5 million payout. The heist goes very wrong, with all h ...more
Richard Ward
Perhaps Stephen King said "James Patterson is a terrible writer" after reading Lifeguard.
Ridiculous, muddled, predictable, formulaic, tiresome plot. Instead of a book I couldn't put down, it was a book I couldn't wait to put down. I think I figured out why the chapters in his books are always so very short: to give the illusion of a fast pace. Not a single character worth a moment's thought. Like a lot of people, I doubt James Patterson writes his books;
Kimberly
Ned Kelly was looking for the perfect score. At the time he finally felt like his life was turning around, he made a huge mistake. He thought he had just met the woman of his dreams, but he needed the million dollars promised in this act. The only thing Ned had to do was make distractions, but these distractions came back to haunt him. Thankfully, Ned had a big supporter, who eventually turned into a lover, Ellie Shurtleff, an FBI agent. Great book! It keeps you reading to see what happens next, ...more
Trish Jackson
Although Ned Kelly comes from a seedy area of Boston, where most residents are into something illegal, he has somehow managed to keep his record clean. He is qualified as a teacher, but due to circumstances beyond his control, he is working as a handyman for his super wealthy uncle in Miami and earns extra money being a lifeguard

When he meets, and has mind-blowing sex with the woman of his dreams, he knows life has changed for the better. Then his cousin and three best friends ask him to help i
Cyanemi
Pretty lame and predictable. Very easy read. The situations were not beleivable and the characters were uninteresting. I question if Patterson wrote much of it.
Jen Lynn
This book was really disappointing. Generally I enjoy the light reading of Patterson. Even though I think his writing is simple and really not that great, the stories themselves and the quickness of the reading of his books are usually able to draw me in where I enjoy his books. This book, however, was simply horrible. Everything about it I did not like. First, the bad writing was hard to ignore and overlook in this book. It was just bad. Second, the story itself was ridiculous, in my opinion. I ...more
Justin Newman
I knew it was bound to happen eventually...I found a Patterson novel with a bit of depth to it! I read Patterson because his writing is light, quick, and forgettable, and sometimes it's precisely what I'm in the mood for.

This novel, however, actually has a bit more going on under the surface. Yes, the chapters are still super short and yes, there are bits that seem too easily resolved, but there is some staying power in this one.

What I like the most is the hopefulness of this novel. Things go
Raizza Silva
I'm not sure how people could possibly rate this book more than 2 stars. I gave only one because I lost some nights reading this dull and ridiculous story. I thought there'd be a small chance of a different ending. It was probably the worst JP book i've read so far. I know this is fiction but seriously? Cliché after cliché and surreal nice endings after devastating catastrophes. It looked like one of those romance novels, the ones they have a hunk guy holding a hopeless woman on the cover than t ...more
Kathy
From a blog post I wrote in 2005:

I polished off the latest James Patterson/Andrew Gross collaboration, Lifeguard, last night. It's the story of a Boston guy who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and who tries for the big score with some of his childhood friends by robbing some art from a tycoon's place in Florida. It all goes horribly wrong with lots of killing, some sex and many plot twists.

Typical read for a Patterson; lots of short chapters and characters who aren't quite what they see
Julia
I didn't feel like this was 100% Patterson's usual style but still a very good easy read
Kelsey Sullivan
I thought this book was very good! It kept me interested the whole way through.
Cláudia
Another usual Patterson (or is it Gross???) book, full of suspense, twists and action. There were some bits though I felt it weren't really explained, and I felt lost in a couple of situations, but nevertheless an enjoyable and quick read.
Roger
This is one of the stupidest books I've ever read. After listening to a Apple podcast with Patterson, I was disappointed in his responses, particularly with how he works with co-authors. So I'm assuming that Andrew Gross brought him this ridiculous plot and he just put his "patterson" signature on it. The idea that an FBI agent would work with a suspect is completely ludicrous. And the main character loses his four best friends, his brother and his father and sheds nary a tear. Don't bother read ...more
Daniel Rudge
I recently read an Andrew Gross novel (Eyes Wide Open) and used to read James Patterson before he became a book a month writer, so when I found this book I thought I'd give it a try. While I believe that Andrew Gross wrote the majority of this book, the addition of Patterson made a good read into a great read. I literally could not put this book down. The plot was excellent, the plot twists come fast and furious, the characters are well-done, and the pacing was frenetic. A lifeguard in Palm Beac ...more
Alisa
I can't say I "read" this book, but there are very few books I have to look forward to, but then put them down because it just has too much language and sexual content for me. I have read other books by both of these authors that I really enjoyed, and this was a bestseller, so I really was looking forward to reading it, but alas, after a few pages, I had to return it. I just couldn't stomach it. Sorry for those who loved it.
Dan
OK, two of his books is enough. This book was so cheesy and just had so many corny plot twists it was unbearable. I still think he has the ability to keep the reader interested, but his lame plots and general corniness are just too much to bear. When it got to the end I was like, “Come on, don’t let me down, make the final line totally over the top cheesy”. It was somewhat cheesy but not as much as I was hoping for.
Kaitlin
This is definitely something I wouldn't have finished if I weren't on the beach. The characters are flat, and the inner dialogue is cheesy at best. It might make a decent movie but didn't fly as a book. At least it was a quick read - I read it in a few hours - but it's not in any way believable. Also I didn't really care what happened to anybody in the story.
Audrey
I am embarrassed to list this book on my "read" shelf, and further embarrassed that I actually felt compelled to read the entire thing. Should have trusted my instinct after the 1st chapter that was all of 2 pages long. With wide margins and double spacing even. But I'm not a quitter! I think there's only one book I've ever started and not finished.
Jeanne
My first read / listen of a James Patterson novel was a pleasant surprise!! Great story line with the mystery ending in a totally unexpected way. The extended epilogue provided a wonderfully warm ending despite the needless brutality that happened during the course of the story. Because of the awesome ending, 9 out of 10 for me!
Karen
Borrowed from a friend...Listened on audio cassette in the car. I have never read or listened to a James Patterson book before & found I was pleasantly surprised. Set in Palm Beach, Ned Kelly (originally from Boston area), works as a lifeguard & errand boy for a wealthy elderly gentleman, Sollie. He falls for a woman on the beach, Tess, who is out of his league. His cousin & friends offer him a cut in an art heist if he helps with break & entering. The job falls apart, his friend ...more
Mary Pat
I think I might have liked this book if it hadn't been categorized as a "thriller." I know this is picky, but I would call it a "mystery," not a thriller. Actually, I probably still wouldn't have liked it. I found it to be kind of cheesy and predictable.
Katie
eh. it was ok. typical patterson book. i've read a few of his Alex Cross books and this had a similar tone to it. Some offensive language, but in all a pretty mindless story. Perfect on the heels of the emotional roller coaster books I've read in the last few weeks.
Rachel
Really had to force myself to finish this one and that was only out of respect to the person that lent it to me. Dire! A beach read at best, totally ridiculous plot, uninteresting characters and a fickle idiotic protagonist. I would pay money to get those hours back...
Free Books, .99 &...: Lifeguard by James Patterson Summer Giveaway 1 11 Jun 24, 2012 02:17PM
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • The Conspiracy Club
  • Beverly Hills Dead (Rick Barron, #2)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Lost Lake
  • Fallen Flowers
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

The subject of a Time magazine feature called, "The Man Who Can't Miss," James Patterson is the bestselling author of the past year, bar none, with more than 16 million books sold in North America alone. In 2007, one of every fifteen hardcover fiction books sold was a Patter
More about James Patterson...
Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas