Annals and Histories

Annals and Histories

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The complete historical works of the greatest chronicler of the Roman Empire in a wholly revised and updated translation.

A brilliant narrator and a master stylist, Tacitus served as administrator and senator, a career that gave him an intimate view of the empire at its highest levels, and of the dramatic, violent, and often bloody events of the first century. In the Annals...more
Published October 6th 2009 by Everyman's Library (first published 1908)

Rutger
Along with Thucydides, Tacitus is the greatest historian ever. I say this with full knowledge of modern historical writing's achievements. Like no other historian, Tacitus grasps the essence of authoritarian politics and the wretched state of man's soul.
Andrew
It took me forever to get through this ancient Roman text that covers the period between the end of the reign of Augustus and the beginning of the reign of Vespasian. The reigns of Tiberius, Claudius, Caligula, Nero, Galba, Otho and Vitellius are also covered. At times, Tacitus seemed to merely be cataloguing the various accusations and trials in the Senate that were the petty disputes between Senators vying for prominence and imperial favor. However, in other parts it was an exciting story of i...more
Shawn
Covering the Roman Empire from 14 - 70 AD, the translation and writing was superb for something from almost 2,000 years ago. However, there were hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people from that time that was covered with very little introcution of who they were, how they got where they were, etc. Senators, gladiators, centurians, emperors, etc. As a result, it was very difficult to follow.
I liken it to someone writing a 500 page book regarding everybody in Congress today, and then having...more
Colin Brown
Good to read after I, Claudius or before- ideal supplement for the First Five although missing the most interesting parts of Claudius' reign.
Autumn
too sweeping a history for me, without enough excitement to keep me fully engaged. there were some fun moments, though, and i appreciated occasionally running into a familiar name or event. that it ended with a foray into anti-semitism was an unexpected treat (um, what?).

my next metro read- 'something i should have read in college but didn't 101'- will be something slightly less ambitious, so it won't take quite so long, i hope.
Masen Production
“I finally read Tacitius... I feel blessed. Historian who has penned down memoirs of Roman greatness post Augustus era. BRILLIANT !!!! He took me back 2000years to the Great Rome, fantastic feeling of I have read a book that was penned 2000 years back and which has been read by other great luminaries of literature post that. For serious history buffs.....”
Jhsmith111
You are going to have to take it slow reading this...very heavy, but well worth your time. Probably not a good book for people with ADD.
Heather Domin
Re-reading for research. Tacitus isn't my favorite, but he usually has just the information I need.
Olivia
Cynical, concise and fascinating. The original 'Game of Thrones'!
Robert
Fascinating history of the Caesars.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Hayley Elseth
Hayley Elseth marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Cleo
Cleo marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Will
Will added it
Apr 13, 2014
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Anshu Dhamiwal
Anshu Dhamiwal marked it as to-read
Madhav
Madhav marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Laura Hughes
Laura Hughes marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Jean-Marie Schlömer
Jean-Marie Schlömer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Dennis Sustare
Dennis Sustare marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Wayne White
Wayne White marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus (ca. AD 56 – ca. AD 117) was a senator and a historian of the Roman Empire. The surviving portions of his two major works—the Annals and the Histories—examine the reigns of the Roman Emperors Tiberius, Claudius, Nero and those who reigned in the Year of the Four Emperors. These two works span the history of the Roman Empire from the death of Augustus in AD 14 t...more
More about Tacitus...
The Annals of Imperial Rome The Agricola and the Germania The Histories Germania Complete Works of Tacitus