Start by marking “Batteries Not Included (Not Quite Human, #1)” as Want to Read:
Batteries Not Included (Not Quite Human, #1)

Batteries Not Included (Not Quite Human #1)

Professor Carson has created the most fantastic of his works: an android with the appearance of a boy of thirteen. Connected to batteries, walking, talking, thinking – his metal body is covered with a skin of plastic and you would never imagine that his blonde hair is nylon... The professor calls him Chip.

To complete the experiment, Dr. Carson has enrolled Chip in Harbor C
Mass Market Paperback, 147 pages
Published November 8th 1985 by Pocket Books (first published November 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Batteries Not Included, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batteries Not Included

Yue
I loved this kind of book when I was in middle school, it gives me such a good memories! I really liked Chip and his adventures. Hopefully someday I will find this book and buy it, it has been like 15 years the last time i read it!
Timothy Stone
Sep 15, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it really liked it
I can remember as a little kid watching The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights where Mike Eisner, along with a Disney character, would introduce a particular movie. One of my favorites was the beginning of the Not Quite Human movies, called, well... guess.

The inspiration for the movies were the Not Quite Human books. Well, the LOOSE inspiration, as they took the raw concepts and made a completely Alternate Universe telling of the adventures of the Carson family. They changed other thing
Chris
Dec 04, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I read a few books in this series back in middle school, and decided to check it out again recently along with the rest of the series.

This book series is a rather unique hybrid of genres. It's part sci-fi, part comedy, and part mystery. The story of an android, Chip, who goes to middle school, posing as a regular 13 year old boy, but ends up over his head having to solve mysteries when things go wrong. In the case of the first book, things are stolen around the school and Chip is blamed, and wit
Justin
Jan 02, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing
A fantastic beginning to a fantastic series. The entire series energetically combines adventure, danger, mystery, and heaps of idiomatic humor powered by the absurd and always honest naivete of its "not quite human" protagonist. The series terminates at the perfect number of volumes before McEvoy's clever formula becomes dull. Sadly that number had to be six, but each of the six is strong enough to elicit laughter after multiple re-readings.
Craig
Sep 17, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2011
These are not good by any means of modern standards, but I will still give them 5 stars because of their significance to me when reading them for the first time. It was a book about a family that loved each other so much they were willing to fight, tooth and nail, to protect the secret of their robot son/ brother. I didn't have much of that at home, and McEvoy gave it to me.
Sophie Duncan
Oct 26, 2011 Sophie Duncan rated it it was amazing
Read this book multiple times as a kid. Loved the whole robot being human idea. It sparked off quite a few creative ideas for me actually. Good adventure, good pace, a little dated now, but not too much.
Brad Carter
Jul 17, 2013 Brad Carter rated it it was amazing
I read this entire series of books (1 through 6) about 100 times in the 1980's. I don't know if I want to ruin the illusion of how great they were by revisiting them as an adult, but I'm sure that any geeky person who reads them today will be amused by all the references to 1980's technology.
Jeffrey Wood
Feb 23, 2013 Jeffrey Wood rated it liked it
Read this in elementary school, it brings back fond memories. I'm relatively confident I completed the entire series courtesy of my school's library.
Micheal Watson
Micheal Watson rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Rikke
Rikke rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Charlotte Richards
Charlotte Richards rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2011
Michael Damron
Michael Damron rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Jaspal Rana
Jaspal Rana rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Tym
Tym rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Ross Cohen
Ross Cohen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Swiftypants
Swiftypants rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Sarah B
Sarah B rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Mical
Mical rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Damian Jarvis
Damian Jarvis rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Not Quite Human (6 books)
  • All Geared Up (Not Quite Human, #2)
  • A Bug in the System (Not Quite Human, #3)
  • Reckless Robot (Not Quite Human, #4)
  • Terror at Play (Not Quite Human, #5)
  • Killer Robot (Not Quite Human, #6)