Muse and Reverie (Newford #23)

Muse and Reverie (Newford #23)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Muse and Reverie is an all-new collection of short fiction in Charles de Lint’s “Newford” universe—the fifth such collection since 1993, and the first since 2002. Previous collections are Dreams Underfoot, The Ivory and the Horn, the World Fantasy Award-winning Memory and Dream, and Tapping the Dream Tree.

The city of Newford could be any city in North America, bursting wit...more
Published December 8th 2009 by Tor Books (first published December 2009)

Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de LintThe Onion Girl by Charles de LintMoonheart by Charles de LintThe Mystery of Grace by Charles de LintDreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint
The Best of Charles de Lint
15th out of 51 books — 28 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickGrishma by Kelly Anne BlountFallen by Lauren KateGraceling by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin Cashore
Best Fantasy Book Covers
224th out of 943 books — 1,036 voters

More lists with this book...

JG (The Introverted Reader)
In the author's note at the beginning of this volume of short stories, Charles de Lint says that he's taking a break from Newford for a while but that he still has enough short stories lying around to publish one more collection. I read that and my heart stopped for a second. I love Newford and all the characters in it! They have become my fictional friends over the years! The logical part of my brain can understand though. He's written 20+ novels and short story collections set in Newford, and...more
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Three, three and a half stars. A later collection, mostly about Newford, although de Lint is stretching a bit and very few stories are about the standard Newford characters. Because of that, people who haven't read any de Lint won't find it any trouble to follow. Much of it is poetic in typical de Lint style, but some of the stories experiment with other techniques, almost as if de Lint set out to play with all the standard urban fantasy settings.

"Somewhere in My Mind There Is a Painting Box" wa...more
Jacki
I should be reviewing this as I go, or I will probably forget details of stories as I read others, especially since Newford books tend toward character overlap.

1. "Somewhere in My Mind, There is a Painting Box": Meh. This story is a typical "guy gets back from Fairyland and doesn't feel comfortable in this world anymore" tale. The writing is the woodsy, lyrical folk song de Lint's fans have come to expect, but the story is flat. Two stars.

2. "Refinerytown": Several old faces come back for this s...more
Libby
Another lovely collection from Charles de Lint. A number of the stories are in Newford and/or involve characters from Newford but you can still enjoy this if you haven't read any of his other work.

One of the things I really admire about De Lint as an author, is his ability to create wonderful and believable characters. A number of the stories collected in this book are told in first person and each character has a distinct voice. I imagine it's difficult to write from so many different points of...more
Alisa
It's a strange thing: I've never been able to truly love one of Charles de Lint's novels, but I adore his short stories. Reading them makes me feel as though I've fallen asleep and am dreaming some very strange dreams...the sort where everything is unknown and yet everything feels familiar. Characters wind in and out, and I learn to love his world in little snatches. Highly recommended, although if you're new to Newford I'd start with one of the earlier story collections.
MB
Apr 19, 2010 MB rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Charles de Lint and Bordertown fans
I found myself wishing that I'd re-read the previous de Lint story collections before I started this one. (Unfortunately, I can't remember which titles I HAVE read already.) Many of the characters in this one were vaguely familiar to me, but it has been such a while between my readings that I've forgotten their backstories.

It would have been a much richer experience if I had. My fault...Aaargh!
Alison Whittington
I love Charles de Lint's novels, but I find that his short stories are hit or miss. They are sometimes trite and cliched, and sometimes utterly magical, and sometimes one story is both. This collection of stories set in the fictional city of Newford is no different. There are a few gems, though, and I would certainly recommend the book to anyone who is a de Lint fan.
Val
loved almost all of the short stories. I have never read anything by him before and I must say I am looking for more. I found my self not wanting the stories to end and eager to read the next.
Ayla-Monic
Every time I find a collection of Newford stories that I haven't yet read, it's like a bit like my birthday. Charles de Lint is one of my writing idols, and I love his take on urban fantasy.

Every story in this collection is interesting and different from the next. New characters and old staples of Newford work their way through the stories, and everything is entrancing as always.

It's hard to talk about short stories without giving away the entire story, so instead of reviewing each individual sh...more
Ray Charbonneau
A new collection, but somehow the first story was familiar. Was still very good, but it did seem like minor de Lint, like his heart is really in the novels.
Asif Zamir
In this enchanting collection of tales in the fantasy genre, Muse and Reverie: A Newford Collection, is a book you simply will not be able to put down. It covers everything from a secret entrance way into the world of the faeries, where all track of time vanishes and you return to earth young while your loved ones have either aged to passed on, to faeries written on paper becoming real before the writer's eyes, or were they real the whole time? From the lives of the Crow Girls who were there in...more
Chelsea
This wasn't my favorite of the Newford books, but four separate stories brought me to tears nonetheless.
Penelope
Perhaps not as good as some of his other Newford Tales but even average De Lint is miles above the rest.
Kerry
At this point, it should almost go without saying that I love Charles De Lint’s Newford series, and I always enjoy a new Newford book, whether it is a full length novel or a collection of short stories. I have read so much Charles De Lint in the past two years and have said so many great things about his work that I am running out of things to say. And so, it is difficult to know exactly what to write about Muse and Reverie, the latest collection of Newford stories.

It was a typically De Lint bo...more
Julia
A thoroughly delightful return to the people and others from Newford, de Lint’s created world. “Refinerytown” is about a graphic novel Mona is writing with Nina Kiriki Hoffman (yes, the real NKH) based on the Bordertown shared universe stories. She’s still with her boyfriend the shapechanger (not werewolf) Lyle from “Trading Hearts at the Half Kaffee Café,” in Tapping the Dream Tree, among others. “That was Radio Clash” is about second (and third) chances and what you have to do with them once y...more
Andrea Blythe
Like Dreams Underfoot and The Onion Girl, this collection of short stories is set in De Lint's fictional city of Newford, a sprawling metropolis noted for its unusually high level of unusual activity, from goblins living in the buried old town to mischievous crow girls to rather nasty wizards to keys that can suddenly throw you back into the past.

Also like De Lint's previous stories and novels, the urban fantasy stories stem from the people within them, people lonely and lost and loving and kind...more
Amanda
Muse And Reverie is a collection of thirteen short stories set in Charles de Lint’s Newford universe. As with most collections, some of these tales are of better quality than others but, it being Charles de Lint, there are more hits than misses.

The collection opens with ‘Somewhere In My Head There Is A Painting Box’, which sets the tone nicely, dealing with a situation where the worlds of human and faery collide. There is nothing new here but the descriptions of the woodland are graceful and sho...more
Samuel Lubell
This is a collection of Newford stories. de Lint is better at short stories than he is at novels and Newford is one of fantasy's best-developed settings. But, not all the stories here have that Newford feel. "Somewhere in My Mind There Is a Painting Box" is an excellent story about art and purpose, "Refinerytown" a fascinating story about an artist whose creation comes to life and tells her she is getting the story all wrong with some familiar Newford characters. "A Crow Girls' Christmas" is a c...more
Sarah Sammis
I started reading Charles de Lint because he writes "Books to Look For" the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Since he lives in Canada and therefore qualifies for the Canada Reads challenge and the 42 Challenge I've been reading through my library's collection of his books. I knew Muse and Reverie was his new book having seen it reviewed on the book blogs I read.

Muse and Reverie is a collection of his urban fantasy short stories. Some are reprints and some are new. I didn't take notes as...more
Mel
I was very pleased to discover that another collection of Newford stories had been released. I did enjoy these but I must admit I didn't feel like they were CDL's best. I think part of the problem was now Newford has just gotten so big and there are so many characters that sometimes it feels like the backstory to fill in the readers is longer than the new story. The stories I liked best in this were about new characters. There was a lot more death and a lot more ghosts and it made for a very int...more
Marsha
I think part of the appeal of de Lint is the attachment to the characters, and unfortunately, short stories normally are more about the tale than reflect the qualities of the characters in them.

However, this is an interesting collection of Newford stories, and I've been a long time fan of Newford...it was the first urban-fantasy that I ever had the pleasure of reading. It's nice to see the Crow Girls again, in "The Crow Girls' Christmas." Nice to encounter longer, more complex stories, like "The...more
Laurie
This is a collection of short stories that de Lint wrote from 2001 to 2005. All have been published before, but most people won’t have read them all unless you follow his work obsessively. I’d only read two out of the thirteen stories.

As usual, all are delightful. This collection is all Newford stories, which are always my favorites. There are some light, fluffy tales, like “A Crow Girls Christmas”. But there are also some darker tales, like “Riding Shotgun” and “Dark Eyes, Faith and Devotion”,...more
Ari Joy
This is a very elegaic book and at the same time a very prosaic one.
Readers take a short, in-depth walk with the characters; you get to know them very well in a heartbeat's space of time. Each story unfolds perfectly and closes naturally.
The thing is, there's a lot of sadness here, but it's the natural sadness of living among the down-and-out. De Lint always captures it; the spirit of those tormented once and now forever after altered in their perspective on the world. Love exists here, very rea...more
Jen
It is hard to believe that I have been reading Charles de Lint for 20 years, but this is indeed the case. Picking up Muse and Reverie was like catching up with old friends, or going home for a long overdue visit. The characters have continued to grow and change in my absence, and I was excited to see how. I'm not sure I can objectively review this book because of my long association with these characters and this setting. I enjoy the touches of magic and the realism of the life paths portrayed i...more
Maddy
I love the characters and surrounding world of Newford that Charles de Lint has created. This, however, has not been my favorite collection of short stories to come form him yet. Some our beautiful and I want to read again...others I find myself struggling through because the plot is a "typical" story from him. Overall thou, I enjoy the places he takes me while reading and the way writes is always a treat! Pick it up if your looking for some light reading on the side since no story is more than...more
Helene
I love what Charles de Lint writes, the urban fairy tales, the Newford characters, the Amerindian/Celtic stuff of myth. This compilation of stories seemed like he had just dusted off MUCH earlier stuff and plopped it in to this book. It just didn't have the polish of his other work, the dialogues were, well, a bit juvenile. That said, the Crow Girls are always fun and yes, I will read more of his work, though not this one again.
Alex Tray

This collection contains some examples of his good writing, but also others that fall short. I've read a good portion of his Newford titles, but it wasn't enough to get a full survey of the complexity of the Newford universe. Despite the shortcomings, this reminded me why I love de Lint. I would have liked to see some of these stories fleshed out more.
Nikki
Lord, I just love Charles de Lint. This little collection of simple stories was a light but thoroughly pleasant read, and he always manages to talk about poignant things in clear emotional terms that you somehow believe anyway, even when there are bits about goblins and time travel. If this book was a person, I'd make it a cup of tea and give it a hug.
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I enjoy the author
After several Charles de Lint's, you feel sated and too familiar. His characters reoccur and nearly trip over each other. I know many readers love that, but I get to feeling that I've read the book, even when I can't. This one, though, was short stories and I enjoyed several of them immensely. However, they all contained new-to-me characters.
Kate
This is a collection of short stories set in Newford, and I quite enjoyed them. I liked some more than others (a few seemed more about the premise than the characters), but overall I enjoyed the book. I like de Lint's juxtaposition of the mundane and the fantastical, where faery or the spirit world somehow fit into and against the everyday world.
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4)
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • The Secret History of Fantasy
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Happily Ever After
  • Redwood and Wildfire
  • Faerie Tales
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
Charles de Lint is a Canadian writer of Dutch origins.
More about Charles de Lint...
The Blue Girl (Newford, #15) The Onion Girl (Newford, #11) Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) Moonheart