Start by marking “Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)

Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers #3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,412 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Seven McTiernay brothers, each a highlander born to protect Scotland and her people, warriors known for their quick wits and quicker broadswords. The third brother, Cole, stared death in the face when he was only a boy...

Now Cole McTiernay is a man. And though he resists them in every way, he has responsibilities. The wild northern Highlands need a laird who can guide them
Mass Market Paperback, 408 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Desiring the Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desiring the Highlander

Eastofoz
Feb 07, 2010 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fan of Monica McCarty's writing style
Shelves: highlander, 2010
This book had sooooo much potential : strong, brooding, emotionally unavailable Highlander; smart, feisty, go-getter heroine, too bad it’s bogged down in mind numbing narration and filler which totally kills the story :-/

Marketed as a love/hate theme, this doesn't last long and suddenly the h/h, Cole and Ellenor, become friends and then some. That’s disappointing because the chase/build-up is dead in the water fast. Cole says he can’t have anything to do with Elle for various reasons from his pa
Duchess Nicole
Mar 19, 2013 Duchess Nicole marked it as no-no-no-not-for-me
I just can't finish this series. Too lovey dovey and full of romance cliches. Women are too innocent, even for a historical romance.
Kathleen
I also loved this book but must admit that I did love To Wed A Highlander just a small bit better.
Michele Sinclair really knows how to write a good story but what is even better are her characters. She also has a fantastic way of describing things in her book's.
The heat level in this book was not as hot as in TWAH was but it was still there as well as the love that I could fell between the H&H.
I was all set to continue on with this series but found out the book Michele just released The Chri
Sandy M
This is my first Michele Sinclair book and it is definitely not going to be my last. And I’m sorry it’s my first book of hers. This is the third in her series and I know I missed a couple of great stories in not reading the first two yet. I’m a huge fan of Scottish historicals, and Ms. Sinclair has just become a favorite new author of mine with her alpha-but-sensitive heroes, intelligent and level-headed heroines, and romance to die for.

Cole McTiernay has spent years hating everything English, k
Claudia
First of all I have to say that Michele Sinclair is a new must-buy for me. Her stories are great and all her characters win your heart in time ... even if you don't like them in the beginning, as it was with this story.
I had real troubles with Ellenor at the beginning, and I don't really know why. I could understand her behaviour and her reasons for that was sound. Nevertheless she annoyed me at the beginning.
Contrary to Cole. he was a great hero.
I loved how their relationship turned and especi
Elis Madison
As a boy, Cole and his best friend snuck out against orders to join a battle against the English. Instead, they were captured, and, when the sadistic English officer saw that Cole was unafraid of death, instead he forced Cole to watch as his best friend was tortured and killed.

Since then, Cole has been famous for his icy cold, unfeeling demeanor, and for his hatred of all things English. With one unfortunate exception: His brother Connor married an Englishwoman, and Cole, in his cold, unfeeling
Lori
3.5 stars. I liked this one, but not as much as the other two. I thought Elle and Cole were both well-drawn and believable. I enjoyed the secondary characters, too. But a few things bothered me. First, there was a lot of internalizing. Next there was a lot of analysis of emotions with what I perceived to be modern verbiage. "Cole internalizes his emotions" just doesn't sound like something a 14th century woman would say. I was disappointed that Colin was barely mentioned. And that he and hiswife ...more
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
BORING AND SLOW!!

This is the 3rd book and 3rd eldest brother in the McTiernay Brothers series. Cole has been sent to England to get his sister in law Laurel's childhood friend Ellenor. Cole is also, being considered to be the Chieftain of Faire Creachann. Faire Crechann is a band of small individual Northern Highlanders Klan's who have come together to make one large Kan, but they need a leader. The McTiernay's being know for their leadership and warrior skills has asked Cole to be one of those
The Window Seat
Those of you who know me know that I have a weakness for a hero who has a troubled past. I love the man who isn’t quite perfect and needs the woman, who he has vowed never to want, to dig just a little into his heart and help deal whatever childhood trauma he has been dealing with all of his life. I am happy to say that this is one of those books.

Cole McTiernay has turned out to be one of my favorite heroes. You see, Cole loathes anything and everything English. An English soldier had done horri
Terree

Nette
Amanda Sheila
I loved it!

I just need one more angst that made me clench my palm and I'm done. The drama at the end of the story didn't really drawn me but still I enjoyed it.

Cole's one hell of a guy. He's big and brooding yet he made Elle feel safe. I love that kind of mine, it's like our personal protective bear right?

Looking forward to read the next installment of this series!
Shannon
I reviewed this book for an award about a year ago and I gave it very high marks. Jumping into the series on book three did not hurt one bit, it only made me want to read the first two as soon as I could get my hands on them. The characters were very easy to like and the story was a fun one to follow. I'm a fan of women that aren't easily caught and men that swallow their pride to go after what they truly want. I love that just when I thought the story was drawing to a close, it went deeper and ...more
Pam
This is the story of Cole and Ellenor. Cole HATES the English, and Ellenor is English.
You meet Cole in the first of the series and don't know why he has such a fierce hatred for the English, but you quickly find out in this book.
I think this one may be my favourite in the series.
Jillian
Sweet romance, with mild love scenes. A bit slow near the end, but I still enjoyed it. I want to mention that I read this book out of order.. I haven't read the previous two. So, it works as a stand alone with just a couple curiosities as to what happened before.
Franca
I really liked this book,I loved the first 2 in the series, but this one took me by surprise and I think I liked it even better than the first 2 books, I almost gave it 5 stars, but while the ending was good, I just felt it seemed to abrupt and was a little disappointed.
Christine
Couldn't put it down. Great story.
wordgirl
I liked the story. I thought the characters were well-developed. The relationship between the hero and heroine was good. The only problem I had was thinking at least twice that a certain spot would have been a good place to end the book. And then the end came and the epilogue jumped ahead quite a bit, and I thought that I would have liked to have seen how the heroine was rescued and what happened after. That being said, I did like the story and look forward to reading the other McTiernay brother ...more
Nancy
Another great story of one of the McTiernay brothers, this time Cole. Loved the characters of both Cole and Elle. Getting a little tired of the bad guy always capturing the heroine in the end, so she can almost die, but of course be rescued. (not just in Sinclair's books, either.) Otherwise, it was still a very enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment!
Cruth
Their pasts affect their futures - it isn't an easy road to HEA. I like that. The background characters and the heros from other books in the series play an important, evolving role. This is also A Good Thing. Nice characters, good story, believable HEA.

Daphne Marzana
I really like Ms. Sinclair's book and I find that this is my favourite. The writing in this one feels less rushed and clearer than the other two (which were still great) and the relationships between the main characters is, if a little instant, deep and heartfelt. can't wait for the next one.
Fairy Tale Junkie
Another blockbuster hit from Michele Sinclare.
Really enjoying the series and this 3rd installment.

I really felt Cole's struggle with his past and Elle's determination to worm herself into his life. Their conversation was entertaining to read.

Looking forward to book 4.
Becky
I liked this book until the very end. I put it down one night and when I picked it up the next morning it was like the author realized there needed to be a conflict AND a resolution before the end of the story. If we could give half stars I'd give this one two and a half.
SW
Love this i stayed up to read until their betrothal then i needed to sleep, but i fell asleep with a smile on my face. The romance is great in this book just giggle to yourself great.
Cheryl
I'm loving all the books I've been reading about the Scottish Highlanders. The romance weaved with the trials and responsibilities the laird has makes each one interesting.
Read it out of order- again lol !!!! very good story and characters and 2 characters I atually liked !!! woohoo !!!! I love Michele Sinclair's books and this did not disappoint
Paula
Ok, so now three of these brothers are married off, with similar plots. Time to switch to a different genre for a bit.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I enjoyed Desiring the Highlander but it is my least favorite of the McTiernay series so far.
« Crystal »
I really enjoyed this book! 5 stars and I would highly recommend this book. I will read again.
Jenny
Great author--have read all three of these books and am anxious to get more from her.
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Highland Dragon
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • A Necessary Husband
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
In need of a creative outlet, I began writing novels after my second child was born. A voracious reader of romance books and a constant dreamer of romantic plots, I was encouraged to put my ideas to paper. I soon found out I loved it...all of it!

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America and of the Georgia Romance Writers.

In addition to writing historical romance novels, I also build large HO
More about Michele Sinclair...

McTiernay Brothers (5 books)
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2)
  • Tempting the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #4)
  • Seducing the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #5)
The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1) To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2) Tempting the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #4) The Christmas Knight Seducing the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #5)