Start by marking “Druscilla's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Druscilla's Halloween

Druscilla's Halloween

Poor Druscilla. Her sore, ancient knees are so creaky and loud that she cant sneak up on anyone to play witchy tricks on Halloween. She and her faithful cat, Drizzle, try to find a way for her to sneak quietly riding her donkey, enchanting her wheelbarrow, making wingsall fail miserably. But when she picks up a broom to sweep up the scattered feathers, she has an idea that ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Druscilla's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Druscilla's Halloween

Kristin Carney
Oct 02, 2014 Kristin Carney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I absolutely love this book and I think it helps because I absolutely love Halloween. This book is fun and makes children think. This book talks about how the witch discover riding on a broom and why she does ride on a broom. The whole story is an adventure with the witch talking about her Halloween night and how she plans for it to be spooky and scary. The only problem was that her knees crackle so everyone hears her before she can even scare anyone. I love the story line and think its a creati ...more
Tatiana
Druscilla’s sore, ancient knees crack, creak, pop and keep her from sneaking and spooking like all the younger witches on Halloween. Her struggles lead to an evocative (excellent descriptive verbs!) imagining of why witches fly on broomsticks. Cute, with perfectly gloomy illustrations.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ??
Lexile: ??

E WAL

Druscilla is the oldest witch in the group and her creaky knees give her away every time. What can she do to still sneak and trick on Halloween? Read through and find out what marvelous plan Druscilla comes up with that modern day witches take for granted.
Erica
Mar 25, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
Meredith
Druscilla's Halloween answers the age old question "Why do witches in western folklore and pop culture ride on broomsticks?" It's not because brooms were used in pagan, harvest time, fertility rites or because broomsticks were everyday household items with which Puritan women in league with the Devil could get into mischief. It's because one "a million spells ago" witches had to tiptoe up to people to scare and bewitch them, and poor Druscilla always got left out of the fun because her creaky kn ...more
Sarah Levy
Sep 21, 2016 Sarah Levy rated it liked it
Could see using this book to talk about things like vivid verb choice, adjectives, and onomatopoeia. May be a perfect October read aloud to talk words!
Kimberly
A tale describing why witches use brooms as their primary means of transport. Fun illustrations.
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A tale of how witches got their flying broomsticks. So cute!
Jenny
Oct 30, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute and clever story that tells why/how witches began riding brooms. I liked the illustrations and I loved that while Druscilla's plans to go and scare the kids just the perfect amount on Halloween didn't work out the way she planned, she didn't give up. When her plan failed, she came up with a new plan... several times. Great way to talk about determination, not quitting, etc. Plus, I laughed out loud at the line. ..."Don't count me out. I have not yet begun to fright!" :) ...more
Superboy
Oct 14, 2014 Superboy rated it it was amazing
fiction
Liza Gilbert
Sep 14, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was just plain mean. Druscilla, a witch with arthritis, can't play with the other witches because her knees make too much noise. For most of the book, we watch Druscilla fail again and again as she tries to participate. She finally finds a device to help her, but the ending seemed tacked on and abrupt. If you are looking for a good book to teach children how to make fun of the disabled, look no further. White's art is fun and interesting at times, though.
Stacie
Dec 28, 2015 Stacie rated it liked it
The book was adorable. Druscilla finds a new way for witches to spook. The illustrations are a bit rough, but fit the story. While I am an adult, I have no kids of my own, I felt like some of the words were pretty big for kids. I guess it is a good way to teach them.
Pauline
Nov 13, 2011 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Exquisite illustrations to accompany a clever and entertaining book about the history of witches riding broomsticks! I, personally, thought it was hilarious that the author attributed the broom usage to the noisy and crackly knees of the main character - I can certainly relate!
Marie
Oct 26, 2009 Marie rated it liked it
The story of how witchs came to ride on brooms. Getting a bit creaky myself, I feel for Druscilla and her snap-crackle-pop noisy knees. I love her spunk!
Rusty Gregory
Feb 18, 2013 Rusty Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
"Once upon a Halloween, a million spells ago, witches prepared for a spine-chilling night."

Good book with an interesting view.
Iamaby En
-a funny story about why witches use broomsticks to get around; a little too long for the toddler crowd though
Teri
Oct 30, 2012 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
Did witches always ride brooms? Story of how one old witch with creeky knees enchants the first broom to fly.
Qt
Oct 03, 2012 Qt rated it really liked it
Cute story and pictures! Probably more of a 3 1/2 star for me personally, but it's a fun one for Halloween.
Courtney Stout
Sep 13, 2016 Courtney Stout rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the illustrations, but the writing and story-line was just sort of weird.
Maritza
Oct 29, 2015 Maritza rated it really liked it
So, witches didn't always ride brooms. It all started with Druscilla's old, creaky knees.
Kim
Oct 11, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
funny Halloween story

themes: broomsticks, determination, Halloween, ingenuity, witches
Libby
Jul 18, 2012 Libby rated it really liked it
a cute story about how the broomstick came to be the witch's vehicle of choice.
Boni
Sep 07, 2010 Boni added it
Huh... I didn't exactly follow this story. But the art is fabulous- love it!
Deanna
Aug 13, 2012 Deanna rated it it was amazing
This is a fun story, I liked it because my knees creak! A smart witch...
Peacegal
May 31, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
Why do witches ride broomsticks on Halloween night?
Sarah Lee
Oct 15, 2010 Sarah Lee rated it really liked it
Cute story about why witches ride broomsticks.
Courtney Fongheiser
Courtney Fongheiser rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Kaileigh
Kaileigh rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2016
Lisaforabw Wiley
Lisaforabw Wiley rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
208138
Sally M. Walker has written science books for children, including Earthquakes, an NSTA/CBC Best Science Trade Book of 1997. She lives in DeKalb, IL.
More about Sally M. Walker...