Druscilla's Halloween

Druscilla's Halloween

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Poor Druscilla. Her sore, ancient knees are so creaky and loud that she cant sneak up on anyone to play witchy tricks on Halloween. She and her faithful cat, Drizzle, try to find a way for her to sneak quietly riding her donkey, enchanting her wheelbarrow, making wingsall fail miserably. But when she picks up a broom to sweep up the scattered feathers, she has an idea that...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2009)

Tatiana
Druscilla’s sore, ancient knees crack, creak, pop and keep her from sneaking and spooking like all the younger witches on Halloween. Her struggles lead to an evocative (excellent descriptive verbs!) imagining of why witches fly on broomsticks. Cute, with perfectly gloomy illustrations.
Meredith
Druscilla's Halloween answers the age old question "Why do witches in western folklore and pop culture ride on broomsticks?" It's not because brooms were used in pagan, harvest time, fertility rites or because broomsticks were everyday household items with which Puritan women in league with the Devil could get into mischief. It's because one "a million spells ago" witches had to tiptoe up to people to scare and bewitch them, and poor Druscilla always got left out of the fun because her creaky kn...more
Jenny
I thought this was a cute and clever story that tells why/how witches began riding brooms. I liked the illustrations and I loved that while Druscilla's plans to go and scare the kids just the perfect amount on Halloween didn't work out the way she planned, she didn't give up. When her plan failed, she came up with a new plan... several times. Great way to talk about determination, not quitting, etc. Plus, I laughed out loud at the line. ..."Don't count me out. I have not yet begun to fright!" :)...more
Liza
This book was just plain mean. Druscilla, a witch with arthritis, can't play with the other witches because her knees make too much noise. For most of the book, we watch Druscilla fail again and again as she tries to participate. She finally finds a device to help her, but the ending seemed tacked on and abrupt. If you are looking for a good book to teach children how to make fun of the disabled, look no further. White's art is fun and interesting at times, though.
Pauline
Exquisite illustrations to accompany a clever and entertaining book about the history of witches riding broomsticks! I, personally, thought it was hilarious that the author attributed the broom usage to the noisy and crackly knees of the main character - I can certainly relate!
Marie
The story of how witchs came to ride on brooms. Getting a bit creaky myself, I feel for Druscilla and her snap-crackle-pop noisy knees. I love her spunk!
Rusty Gregory
"Once upon a Halloween, a million spells ago, witches prepared for a spine-chilling night."

Good book with an interesting view.
Iamaby En
-a funny story about why witches use broomsticks to get around; a little too long for the toddler crowd though
Teri
Did witches always ride brooms? Story of how one old witch with creeky knees enchants the first broom to fly.
Qt
Cute story and pictures! Probably more of a 3 1/2 star for me personally, but it's a fun one for Halloween.
Kim
funny Halloween story

themes: broomsticks, determination, Halloween, ingenuity, witches
Libby
a cute story about how the broomstick came to be the witch's vehicle of choice.
Boni
Sep 07, 2010 Boni added it
Huh... I didn't exactly follow this story. But the art is fabulous- love it!
Deanna
This is a fun story, I liked it because my knees creak! A smart witch...
Peacegal
Why do witches ride broomsticks on Halloween night?
Sarah Lee
Cute story about why witches ride broomsticks.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
MJ
MJ added it
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
208138
Sally M. Walker has written science books for children, including Earthquakes, an NSTA/CBC Best Science Trade Book of 1997. She lives in DeKalb, IL.
More about Sally M. Walker...
Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917 Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving the Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown Their Skeletons Speak: Kennewick Man and the Paleoamerican World (Exceptional Social Studies Titles for Intermediate Grades) (Exceptional Social Studies Title for Intermediate Grades)