Start by marking “Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom” as Want to Read:
Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom

Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom

A vicious Apokolptian villain known as Malestrom has arrived on Earth to kill Superman so that she might become The Bride of Darkseid! Superman and Supergirl join forces to battle the villain but at what cost to Metropolis? From Earth to Apokolips and beyond, Superman and Supergirl face unexpected challenges in this action-packed tale examining what it means to be a hero.
Published December 15th 2009 by DC Comics (first published December 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Superman/Supergirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman/Supergirl

Karen
Jan 14, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: from-dover
Well...it was pretty. So pretty. Two stars worth of pretty. That third star is because I liked the first quarter.

...so pretty.
Kathryn
Jun 18, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-recs
I was surprised by how much I loved this. A few distracting lettering mistakes, but a wonderfully contained and complete story.
Anne
The story wasn't awful, but it was pretty forgettable. I really disliked the art, though. It looked like everyone in the story was recovering from a bad case of the flu.
Feather Mista
Ay. Veníamos bien, tan bien, que es una lástima que se me haya bajado en las últimas páginas. La premisa -y el desarrollo- me resultaron no muy originales pero sí entretenidos. Copipasteo la descripción del tomo para no parafrasear: "Maelstrom, una esclava de Apokolips obsesionada con reinar junto a Darkseid, decidirá que no hay mejor manera de demostrarle a su amo su valía que traerle la cabeza de Superman… pero será Supergirl quien le plante cara con catastrófico resultado. Tras su derrota, ...more
Stanley
Oct 21, 2015 Stanley rated it liked it
Shelves: own, comics
This book collects the five part mini-series of the same name.

The book starts off pretty well showing how much room Supergirl has to grow and then she and Superman litterally embark on a journey to promote that growth.

The experiences along the way are ok. However, I had three pretty big issues.

1. The whiny brat crab early on got grating very quickly. She came around in the end, but that stuff was not good.

2. The story was bigger than the space. Due to the creaters only having five issues to tel
Sean
Feb 26, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok
With a creative team this spectacular I had such high hopes before reading this. Sadly, the entire plot was too contrived, corny, and ridiculous to enjoy the book. Here Superman does so many critically stupid things that its hard too imagine that he is still alive to fight for freedom. Supergirl's character is fun but her dialogue is wasted on the oddball situation. And the title's namesake is one note and turns out to be typical DC power overload without substance. The art by Phil Noto is good ...more
Dean
Feb 04, 2016 Dean rated it liked it
Although I really enjoyed this I'll be the first to admit the story is very slight. In fact, the story is mere window dressing to allow a nice observation of the Kal/ Kara dynamic, to see their personal relationship up close. This insight is fun, but anything Apokolips related is unnecessary and distracting. The art varies from looking fantastic to looking odd, with some strange figure work at times.
Worth a look.
Dave
Aug 22, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This is worth a read if you are a fan of the Super Family, but it's nothing remarkable. The pacing seemed rushed in the beginning and ending and the art sometimes seemed a bit stiff. Also, the villain was pretty shallow. On the positive side, I did like the exploration of the relationship between Superman and Supergirl, which is what the bulk of the story focused on.
S
Jun 09, 2012 S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
A cute way to pass the time- I particularly enjoyed Clark and Kara's interactions on their interstellar camping trip that went wrong. (And the fact that Kara wore a jumpsuit for most of this mini, instead of her usual panty-flashing miniskirt).
Brandy Shark
A+ art, I really love Phil Noto's work, but overall the story was a little flat. I thought the Maelstorm storyline didn't mesh well with Clark and Kara's.
Simon
Aug 22, 2014 Simon rated it it was ok
Mmm. I love the smell of clunky morality in the morning. It smells like...

... Superman.

One star added for Supergirl. Who is cute.
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Althea
Althea rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
A Leah
A Leah rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Joachim
Joachim rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Bryson Kopf
Bryson Kopf rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Kellen Smith
Kellen Smith rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Jinuka
Jinuka rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2014
John Yelverton
Jul 29, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was ok
I love Supergirl and I idolize Superman, but this book was complete garbage.
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Emmett Spain
Emmett Spain rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2011
Favour 9
Favour 9 rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Emmanuel Nevers
May 08, 2016 Emmanuel Nevers rated it it was amazing
Still enjoyed this as much as I did the first time. Well done Superman/Supergirl bonding story A++
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James "Jimmy" Palmiotti is an American writer and inker of comic books, who also does writing for games, television and film.

Photo by Luigi Novi.
More about Jimmy Palmiotti...