Cultivating Love

Cultivating Love

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Genre: LGBT Erotic Contemporary

A man of few words, Joe is a hard-working farmhand who likes his simple, uncomplicated life. Ed is satisfied with his existence as an auto mechanic, but thrilled when an unexpected development in his life allows him to help Joe realize a dream.

It forces them, however, to reevaluate the casual, undefined nature of their relationship. They're...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Cultivating Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultivating Love

The Tin Star by J.L. LangleyBareback by Chris OwenThe Broken H by J.L. LangleyNatural Disaster by Chris OwenTiming by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Cowboys
47th out of 267 books — 427 voters
Fish & Chips by Abigail RouxDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsRegularly Scheduled Life by K.A. MitchellSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay "Established Relationships" Romance
32nd out of 276 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

JenMcJ
Ed and Joe are two men in a long term relationship that they have not been forced to define. They live together, they posture about dominant status, they worry about the "manliness" perception from each other and they communicate only on the most basic level any deeper emotion...

Until they find that they can't define their relationship that way forever. Now they must break down some walls and really admit and accept what they need from each other and what they mean to each other.

Will they both...more
MiʂħүJѻ
Dec 27, 2013 MiʂħүJѻ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to MiʂħүJѻ by: Gigi, Ann, and Jenni Lea (thanks ladies!)
4.25 Warm Fuzzy (but not sappy sweet) Stars

Joe and Ed have been together for 2.5 years. They live together. They are seemingly committed. But they haven't ever bothered to DTR (define the relationship). Joe, it appears, has never really even considered his feelings for Ed. Ed, on the other hand, has probably thought about it but is okay keeping his feelings unexpressed.

Then a new opportunity presents itself to the couple and their lives undergo a big change. Suddenly they are relying on each ot...more
Ava
This book was a sweet love story about two men who have been in a relationship for a couple years, finally coming to terms with their love for one another.

Joe and Ed are well, not quite macho men, but definitely not the type to wear their hearts on their sleeves. They have a very comfortable relationship build more on an understanding than on any expicit long-term committment between the two. But when Ed unexpectedly inherits a farm, their lives change and both men come to realize how important...more
Heller
I liked these men and enjoyed reading how their relationship deepened over the course of the story.

Ed and Joe are two guys living and sleeping together that are very careful to not cross any kind of emotional lines even though they're both desperately in love with each other.

Ed gets some shocking news regarding a relative and leans on Joe to help him understand and make plans. There's a bit of drama due to some hardcore homophobia in the new area that the men move to that ended up resulting in...more
Gigi
Holy shit I loved this book! I mean REALLY loved it! Plenty of angst, a splash of romance, hard working pretty farm boys... And the most fantastic HEA! This one will probably go in my top 10 or top 20. I've got to mull it over a bit first.

Highly recommended! I just loved Joe and Ed!
Lily
This is a wonderful book about two ordinary men living life as best as they can. Ed and Joe have been together for a number of years and while their relationship is solid it's not a holding hands while walking on the beach romance. They are happy together and their sex life is hot and that's enough for them.

However, their lives change in a big way when Ed receives an unexpected windfall. As they deal with the upheaval of changing careers and homes they will find that the biggest and most profoun...more
Nic
This book had something just a little bit special with it look at the relationship between Joe and Ed. Joe and Ed have been together for a long time but it is change in their circumstances that brings about changes in their relationship.

An inheritance means that Ed can now provide a different kind of life for himself and Joe. They are both hardworking and honest men and they love each other. They have just been restrained in the way they show each other.

As they start their new life, Ed's gesture...more
Jenni Lea

What a cutie patootie little book. Adorable! ♥
Nichole (Dirty H)

I really loved the idea of this story. Rather than a typical "boy meets boy, boys fall in love" m/m romance, this is about two men who are already in a committed relationship but are afraid to really show affection. They never use the word love, are very strict about whose "turn" it is to top, and never venture beyond strict intercourse in the bedroom. (i.e. no blow jobs, no cuddling, etc.)
Circumstances in their life sort of force them to make a more verbal commitment to each other ("We...more
Elisa Ramblings
Joe and Ed are young and living together. To the equation misses only love. It's not that Joe and Ed are not in love, it's probably that no one taught them "how" to be in love, and "what" being in love means. Ed, orphaned at 17 years old, spent all his time to make the ends meet, and Joe was kicked out of home when he came out to his father at 18 years old. When the book starts they are already together, sharing an house and a bed, but it's not said how they met and how they put the boundaries t...more
Kassa
I’ve read several shorter stories from this author and although they did tend to be sweet and sappy, sometimes edging into too much, the thread of humor and romance woven into the writing attracted me. Unfortunately this book feels like a huge step backward for the author and I wouldn’t recommend it. The writing was nowhere near what I’m used to from Albright and the storyline itself has huge holes. This reads like an early work resurrected, but if you’re new to the author, begin with another bo...more
Pjm12
I could easily have read more about this pair of adorable cowboys. The family element was integrated well into the narrative, but I wanted to spend more time with just the boys on the farm.

Their efforts to reveal their feelings to each other was unveiled well - slowly, deliberating and with the realisation that things can and do go wrong, so it's important to be clear about loving and sharing and wanting, and all those other worthwhile things.

I thought some of the stuff about Stan was not explai...more
Karen K
Vallie
Jul 21, 2014 Vallie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, short
*sigh* I am afraid I am in the minority here so feel free to ignore my rating. I just plain didn't like this. Too much stuff going on for a novella, the writing felt stilted and rushed, and the two MCs...come on, taking turns bottoming and having never even held hands when they've been living together for close to 3 years? Didn't work for me, unfortunately. I would suggest looking at other reviews before making a decision on this. Off to the next one :)
Natālija
I have always liked books about established couples, and Cultivating Love turned out to be a moving and beautiful love story without being mushy.

Joe and Ed are great together. Author does not reveal how they met, but she wrote them so well that there was no need for the backstory in order to see that they couldn't be more perfect for one another. Reserved and undemonstrative about their feelings, they are deeply in love, and it was very interesting to watch them learn the importance of communic...more
Alina
This book is truly a gem!
After reading some reviews I've been afraid Joe and Ed's relationship would be at first somewhat distant and maybe even awkward, but that's so not true! They loved each other for a long time now, they just built that walls, that rules to guard their hearts in case something goes wrong and as the time went, the walls still stood in place not out of necessity, but rather out of habit. And this book is about them realizing that not only they don't need this walls, but the w...more
Raevyn

The characters are met about 2.5 years into their relationship. Joe and Ed seem to be comfortable where they are but there is a level of intimacy missing. As their lives are upended they work to find their way around the emotions they feel and how to express them.

This is a sweet story and I really liked the characters, however I took points off because there were times when I had to reread a paragraph or section because I had no idea who was speaking. There were confusing paragraphs whe...more
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Well-written, great characters, realistic plot; it's a very good read overall. It has some nice detail about farm life in a small town, and good back stories. I loved watching these two men open up and realize what they have and admit their feelings to each other. It was perfect to be in both their heads and get to know them equally. I felt like they were old friends of mine by the end of the book, and I knew whose voice I was reading through just by their words and actions. There were some good...more
Edina Rose
That is just my kind of story. Deep love, LTR, commitment, honest guys, hard workers. And don't forget great sensuality.
Carly
I really enjoyed the story. The characters were well crafted and it was interesting to see an established couple come to terms with what they considered the mushy part of their relatiosnhip.

It was very clear both Ed and Joe feel very deeply about the other and we meet them at the moment when cicumstances made them more willing to open about them and allow the other to see them at their weak points as well.

What Ed's mom did to him and his father was really cruel and petty. On the other hand it w...more
Secretly Reading
CULTIVATING LOVE is a very good MM romance that is non-traditional as it's the story of a couple growing their love as life partners. I loved this unique tale of a committed couple becoming life partners.

Joe and Ed are satisfied with their life but when Ed finds out his unknown father left him a farm, their lives suddenly change forever.

I love both Joe and Ed as characters. They're mature men who want to build a life together but never had the impetus to do so. Their romance begins with them adh...more
Tara
I think this was a good story with a lot of great ideas that just needed to be longer. It felt like in an attempt to keep the story short, we glossed over some of the finer points.

When the story starts Ed & Joe are already in a 2 1/2 year relationship and Ed just found out that his father has died. The story is about them dealing with that and learning about their families and their own relationship. They learn how to deal with their feelings and emotions. They have to deal with fitting in...more
~~Dani ♥ semi-colons~~
Too many flies in this pot.

The plot shifted with dizzying speed. We had so many changes and tragedies in such a short book, and most were resolved way too easily and quickly (Hi, you're my sister and I haven't seen you in nearly a decade. Cool. Come stay with us.)

I didn't buy the entire premise: Two guys have been in a relationship for 2.5 years but don't talk about emotions and take "turns" bottoming. Ridiculous. I could see this working in a casual friends with benefits situation, but not whe...more
Lee
Given the opportunity to make a major change in their lives, Joe and Ed take on the responsibility of running a farm. They're aware of all of the physical changes they will face in doing this, but they give little thought to how this will affect their personal relationship and their commitment to each other. Joe and Ed are a couple, but only in a most superficial way. They seem unwilling to make a full emotional commitment to each other until their lives on the farm pit them against things that...more
Danni
I usually go for new couples rather than established ones, but this couple really did all their growing and connection in the book, that it felt like more of a new romance.
Ed and Joe have been together for a couple of years, but both think that submitting to the other and talking about feelings makes them less manly, so they have set up these walls and routines around each other.
When Ed inherits his estranged father´s farm, he and Joe move there together to take over the business. In this new si...more
Janie "Cookie" Moretti
I liked Ed and Joe. This was a sweet romance about two men discovering that they meant more to each other than they thought.
Ryoma Gartre
Td
Oh, I wanted to like this more than I did. I really enjoyed the first half of the book and how the relationship began to change. Even though it was an established relationship, it still felt new and like they were rediscovering each other all over again. I thought it was nice and sweet and I was eating it up. Once the sister and the dad (HUH???) made an appearance about halfway through, however, I began to roll my eyes and things didn't get better for me after that.
Deviant Divas
Cultivating Love by Addison Albright one of the most well put together homoerotic stories I have come across. There are real life issues of ignorance. Moments of love between the main two characters along with smoking sex scenes. This reviewer gives it three divas. Reviewed by Dana Breen

DIVA RATING: 3 Divas
HEAT RATING: Spark

Link:http://www.deviantdivaseroticbookrevi...
Merwan
  • To Love a Cowboy
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • The Cowboy Poet
  • Tyler's Cowboy (Cowboy Lovin' #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • A Volatile Range (Range, #6)
  • New York Cowboy
  • Extreme Bull
  • Long Tall Drink
  • ReneCade (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #3)
  • Cowboy Crush (Evans Brothers #1)
  • Chasing Alex
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • My Heartache Cowboy (The Cowboys, #2)
  • Hard Ride Home

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/addisonal...

ADDISON'S PUBLICATIONS

DREAM SERIES
- A Dream...more
More about Addison Albright...
A Dream Come True (Dream, #1) Another Dream (Dream, #2) Dreaming of You (Dream, #3) Photo Shoot Born to Be Wild