Start by marking “Thanksgiving Rules” as Want to Read:
Thanksgiving Rules

Thanksgiving Rules

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A young boy explains the rules for getting the most out of the Thanksgiving holiday from the early bird gets the turkey to life is sweeter when you eat sweets. But even after eating his way through the buffet table, he leaves readers with the true recipe for a perfect Thanksgivinga large helping of gratitude and thankfulness.
Published September 1st 2009 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thanksgiving Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanksgiving Rules

Tricia
This book started out so wonderfully with preparations for thanksgiving in well-written rhyme. It even ends nicely with affection for those we appreciate. But WHAT happens in the middle of this story!?!!? The narrator basically encourages all to GORGE themselves. It gets rather dicey at the buffet. 10 pages (yes, 10 pages) are dedicated to selecting food, filling your plate, your stomach...e.g. "eat till your plate is squeaky clean" before going back for SECONDS!? Then pile on dessert! Now I hav ...more
Jillian
With the holidays near, "Thanksgiving Rules" by Laurie B. Friedman provides plenty of silly rules from a young boy named Percy, who's main concern is for people to over-indulge on Thanksgiving Day. For example, readers are reminded to "eat, drink but first be clean," and that they are "only as sweet as the sweets they eat." Percy goes on to encourage readers to stuff themselves until they are about to blow, and always go for seconds, and try every kind of sweets available. After indulging in a g ...more
Madison
This is a great book. It tells kids that you need to help clean up, make dinner and get dressed. Then you can eat the "Thanksgiving buffet"(Thanksgiving rules pg.16) I also like that he has his dog with him through out the story. It makes the book fun for kids to read.
Maricel Sto.
I read this to my KG2 class, my class enjoy it especially when Percy delclare his Thanksgiving decree. They couldn't believe how they eat all of those food. A great book for thanksgiving.
Morgan Sommers
I loved this book! I thought it was entertaining and funny. The pictures in it were great and fun to look at. I thought it gave a lot of great details through out the pictures and the story.
Fawn
With Thanksgiving coming up we read this and loved the rules on cleaning up, helping and trying all the new food. The ending was sweet on not squeezing the food out of people too
Julianna
Cute but kind of strange, with pretty nice illustrations and story line, but still strange.
Alice
Percy Issac Gilford P.I.G. At first I thought this book was just a silly glutenous book about eating and eating and family and eating...but at the end it wraps it all up with love and family and gratitude! Makes it all worth while!
Megan
Summary: This book is a guide to Percy Isaac Gifford’s 10 rules for Thanksgiving. It also includes his Official Decree, “Eat everything you see!”
Audience: K-2
Appeal: It’s a holiday book, it rhymes, it’s silly and it has awesome pictures!
Implementation: I would read this book right before Thanksgiving break, when it becomes impossible for the students to think about anything other than the fact that they have a long weekend coming up!
Citation: Friedman, L. B., & Murfin, T. (2009). Thanksgivi
Ashley Wampler
This is a rhyming book about the rules of Thanksgiving. The little boy offers advice about how to prepare for Thanksgiving- helping your mom and dad with the cooking and cleaning, and entertaining the relatives. He then talks about how to fill your plate from the Thanksgiving buffet. It is a cute read, and I think that kids would definitely find it entertaining.
Liza Gilbert
This book doesn't quite work for me. The premise is that a young boy is explaning to people how to get the most out of Thanksgiving, meaning what to eat when. The problem? Kids don't need instructions on how to gorge themselves on Thanksgiving. However, Murfin's illustrations were fantastic, hence the 3 stars.
Natalie Heavrin
This book is pretty funny and has some great illustrations. However, the entire story is about talking to your relatives as little as possible so that you have more time to eat everything in sight. The last few pages are about being thanksful, but most of the book is about eating.
MissInformation
Reasonably fun with tips for kids that parents would like- the polite quick hello, be appreciative to bakers, etc. He really emphasizes eating, so you just have to enter into the spirit of it. Too much text for Story time, but rhyming text is good for Early literacy.
Rachel
A fun story for any child, especially boys, on Thanksgiving. It talks all about eating through Thanksgiving but has a special message as well. I would recommend this book for about 1st grade to about fourth.
Douglas Cootey
This is a silly book. Some will complain of its message of overindulgence, but I never took any of it seriously, and neither did my daughter. She enjoyed it and laughed throughout.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I am reading this book to kinder and first and having the kids write and illustrate their own rules for Thanksgiving. A fun book that the kids seem to like, just short on actual story.
Andrea Wilkinson
Really cute book with fun illustrations on how to have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love the addition of manners, kindness, and appreciation that are included in this story!
Sandi
Holiday books all too often try so hard that they miss their mark. In this one, a little boy shares his Thanksgiving Rules...and you know what, they kind of rule!
Bree
Cute illustrations, great rhyming, and the story was very funny. It was the perfect story to finish off our Thanksgiving theme at school. It is a keeper for all years.
Olivia Jackson
This is such a good book for to read to a class around the holidays! You can make so many lesson plans based off this book and the students will really enjoy it.
Edna
Young Percy Isaac Gifford has an annual successful plan and willingly offers free advice for anyone who wants to get the most out of a Thanksgiving dinner.
Heather
I think kids would find this book to be funny, but it's almost entirely about how to gorge yourself on Thanksgiving--not the most inspiring Thanksgiving book.
*Queen Diva*
Super cute book with a fun story, rhyme scheme, and illustrations. Probably one of my favorite Thanksgiving books for kids I've read so far!
Linda
Lots of potential in this book, but I wanted more! I did love the ending and the illustrations. Could be a good addition to Thanksgiving storytime!
Joenna
A cute rhyming Thanksgiving book where a boy shows you the rules to get ready for the big dinner and how to stack your plate.
Annalisa
This is a great holiday one to add to your collection. Funny for the parents and the children reading the story.
Kim
Great rhyming book about thanksgiving. Finally, another book to pair with "There was an old lady who swallowed a pie"!
Beverly
Cartooney paintings illustrate Percy Isaac Gifford's funny rules for Thanksgiving, in rhyming quatrains.
Lindahawkes
I loved this book. It will become a staple Thanksgiving tradition with the grandchildren.
Joe
Well, it had potential, but I was a little disappointed. I felt the rhyme was a bit forced.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Fancy Nancy: Our Thanksgiving Banquet
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • It's Thanksgiving
Laurie Friedman is the author of over 35 award-winning books for children. Laurie writes the popular Mallory McDonald chapter book series for 7-10 year olds. Published by Lerner Publishing, the series currently includes 23 titles. Laurie has a new journal format series for 10-15 year olds entitled, The Mostly Miserable Life of April Sinclair. Laurie has also written many rhyming picture books, inc ...more
More about Laurie B. Friedman...
Mallory On The Move (Mallory McDonald, #1) Back to School, Mallory (Mallory McDonald, #2) Mallory Vs. Max (Mallory McDonald, #3) Heart to Heart With Mallory (Mallory McDonald, #6) Happy Birthday, Mallory! (Mallory McDonald, #4)