Start by marking “The End of Harry Potter?” as Want to Read:
The End of Harry Potter?

The End of Harry Potter?

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  4,033 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The publication of the seventh and final Harry Potter novel is probably the most eagerly anticipated event in the history of publishing. Even the smallest hints given by J. K. Rowling as to what may happen to Harry and his friends have been major news stories.

In The End of Harry Potter?, David Langford - Potter fan and award-winning writer - delves into the many mysteries
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Harry Potter?, please sign up.

Blondie S They do that so then when people look at the book they want to buy the book because it looks like it be super good. So does that answer your question?
Blondie S No because that is were he would get the info to wright the book and tell you about if all the things happened

PurplyCookie
You may think that with the end of the "Harry Potter" book series, reading a "guide" like this would prove pointless, but nonetheless, I found myself reminiscing quite a bit and enjoying the several theories and the then unanswered questions forwarded by avid fans before Rowling published "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows".

With a title like "The End of Harry Potter? An Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries that Remain" I expected the book to, well, speculate on the mysteries that remained. Odd
Kat Helgeson
Now that the series has ended, you'd think this book would be a waste of time. Not so! Like Hermione in a Muggle Studies class, I find it fascinating to watch someone try to understand what I already know. Langford does a great job of analysis and more often than not his guesses are eerily accurate.
Huey
Langford is brilliant! i read this after i read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but how he manages to get most plots right is absolutely mental (i was like why did i not think of that?). Pretty brilliant and eerie piece of work; how did he guessed Regulus's name so correctly and thought of diadem as the tiara in the room of requirement?? Did he had a time-turner or did he knew legilimency?
Callie Rose Tyler
This book was written between the 6th and 7th Harry Potter books and is meant to take a look at where the reader has been and speculate on what the 7th book will entail. Since the 7th book is out and has been for sometime this book might seem obsolete. However, this was not the case. There was a few pages here and there that I skipped through but overall the book was still enjoyable and thought provoking.

Langford is somewhat of an expert on the fantasy/science fiction genre and looks at works t
Nina
Sep 02, 2011 Nina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of the Harry Potter books
This is a great review of the first six books, in-depth and intriguing. For a Harry Potter lover like myself, this was a huge blessing. It's about the six books that were published when this came out first, and analyzes them beautifully. I know a lot about Harry Potter and the background behind it, the logic and the randomness, the etymology and the plot devices, but this taught me so much more. And, just to finish it off, it's funny! It's a very easy and entertaining read. I've read this so man ...more
Kristin Sumrall
If you're an avid reader like me, I'm sure there have been times when you have finished a book or a series before a friend and have had the chance to listen to their thoughts and theories on what was going to happen in the books. That was what reading this book felt like. The End of Harry Potter? by David Langford was written between the publication of the sixth and seventh Harry Potter books and delved into possible theories for what could happen in the last book, as well as including detailed ...more
Ehsan Charolia
A 5 star review just because of the accuracy in analytic predictions and the sheer brilliance displayed by someone who now I view as one of the most observant people I've ever known about; David Langford.
It's almost like he was there when J.K.Rowling wrote certain parts of the 7th book.
Also,reading this book has increased the amount of respect and admiration I had for the Queen of fantasy literature, J.K.Rowling.
Most Potterheads may have already read this, but if you haven't...Well, don't waste
Darshil Nanavati

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, movie number eight in this phenomenal series, is by far my favorite movie of 2011. We've all waited for years for this moment to come, and although it does feel like it has gone by so fast, I'm sure many can agree with me that it was well worth the wait. Sequels usually are a waste of time, and don't even compare to the first, but with Harry Potter, with each school year that has passed, the story just kept getting better.

I'll admit that I was sad and
chucklesthescot
Utter rubbish. He covered a lot of the same material that has appeared in every other Harry Potter fanbook and then put a few ideas and discussions in as to what he thought was going to happen in book 7, based on what we actually know is going to happen in book 7. Of course we are going to find out Snapes story. Of course we will discover where the Horcruxes are and what they are hidden in (DUH). There was nothing new or interesting in this book that I couldn't have worked out for myself so as a ...more
Kristina
Enjoyable, but not one of my favorites. Good read though.
Tasneem
This is fabulous. I'm a fan, a real fan, and I must say the analysis of this book was beautifully done. It is well worth a read, even after the end of the series, after all the fanfictions have been read and so on. The way in which he deconstructs the texts, then comes up with possible scenarios is inspired. Now, in hindsight, some of the suggestions are too good to reject as mere guesswork. I loved it also for the way in which it gives a proper look into writing theory. Any fan of the serious s ...more
kvon
I read 'The End of Harry Potter?' by perpetual Hugo winner Dave Langford, except I didn't read the last part where I suppose he guesses what will happen in HP#7. The rest of it is a fan's acute analysis of Rowling's story style, such as her use of foreshadowing and unresolved threads. It's actually a good way to remember what's happened so far in the series. Well written.

Addendum post HP#7: No, he didn't come close to guessing the ending. Feel free to read the last chapter without fear of spoile
Kathleen Dixon
I don't want to say anything negative about this book, because it appears very well researched and most thorough, and if I'd taken it home from the library knowing what to expect then I'm sure I would have liked it.

Unfortunately, the title fooled me (my fault) and I didn't read the blurb. I only read the wee reference on the back written by Terry Pratchett, and from that (because I really enjoy Pratchett's works) I decided this was going to be really funny. Again, my fault.
Brandon O'Neill
This was published before book 7 came out. I wanted to read it, since I had just finished re-reading book 6. I was never really into all the online speculation of what will happen - I just read the books. Obviously, most of this is now outdated, but I did enjoy learning about the origins of many of the characters names and analyzing some foreshadowing and how they were fulfilled in later books. Quick read but pointless if you are huge into the series.
Nikki DeLash
Sep 25, 2007 Nikki DeLash rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any harry potter fan
This book was interesting because it brought up a lot of different theories about how the Harry Potter series would end. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it between book 6 and book 7. But since I read it after book 7 it was nice to get some supplemental history on the characters and plots throughout the series. A fun quick read.
Andd Becker
Readers can consult questions to see which ones are answered in HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS.
Hidden meanings of surnames are examined. Detailed meanings of 40 names in the Harry Potter books are given.
The smoke-and-mirrors technique (wherein the author lists one significant item among insignificant items) is discussed.
Rida Shams
This book is unbelievably entertaining. It's surprising how accurate Langford's predictions are, and his miscalculations for the seventh book would still make a good Harry Potter ending, but not J.K. Rowling's ending, which was perfect.

My favorite part would have to be "The Land of Voldemordor" sequence. That was simply hilarious.
Jessie
Some intersting stuff, but a lot of hooey too. The highlight was the author's analysis of the names Rowling bestows on her characters, locations and spells. Really interesting if you're obsessed with Harry Potter (like me) and fascinated by linguistics (like me).
Barry
Sep 17, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
There were some amazing insights and details pointed out from the books that I never would have noticed without Langford pointing them out (and a few I had to go back and find). The only drawbacks are in speculation of what to expect from the next book.
Whitney
You know you're a Harry Potter nerd when you enjoy reading books like this. : ) It came out about a year before Deathly Hallows did, and it has all of the theories for what would happen in the last book. For the most part, it was fairly accurate.
Luke
May 25, 2007 Luke rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HP Fanatics!
The author gives an amazingly in-depth look at all the mysteries that remain of Harry Potter! Things I never even thought of were brought to my attention, and things that seemed to be important were thought about even more carefully. Great book!
Ashley
A good book to hold you over while waiting for the last book in the series; includes very interesting hidden facts about the books and some surprisingly accurate predictions.
Amy Wright
It's really interesting to read this after the publication of the seventh book; the author had some interesting ideas and also picked up on things that I know I would not have.
Lisa Thumma
This was a fun book to read in those final, torturous days leading up to the Deathly Hallows release. I liked the writting style and the references to other fantasy novels.
Brillare
Jun 26, 2009 Brillare rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fanatics
Shelves: read-in-2009
3.5 stars.

Interesting. I love to read this after having read the last book, and seeing if the predictions were accurate or not.
Kaitlyn
It was interesting going back and seeing what theories he got right and what theories he was way off on for Deathly Hallows!
Roxie
slightly ridiculous...I mean, I love Harry Potter but not quite this much
a fun summer read though!
Jazzy
well i think it won't be the end maybe it will but let's see what happens to harry potter
☆♪Taylor♪☆
FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!! i enjoyed it better after i read the 7th Harry Potter book.
Amy Rea
Not really a fun read, but it gives you facts and funny information about harry potter
Harry Potter Series 1 14 Nov 22, 2010 07:35PM
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Harry Potter and History
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
19443
British science-fiction author, editor and critic. He publishes the newsletter Ansible.
More about David Langford...
The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook The Leaky Establishment Different Kinds of Darkness Josh Kirby A Cosmic Cornucopia