Start by marking “La libraire mène l'enquête” as Want to Read:
La libraire mène l'enquête

La libraire mène l'enquête (Death On Demand #4)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,265 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Mystery Bookstore owner Annie Laurance is well-acquainted with murder, but she never imagined one taking place on her honeymoon! A marvelous spoof of New Age mumbo jumbo by an author whose work has been compared to that of Agatha Christie. Original.
Published September 2005 by Liana Levi (first published December 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about La libraire mène l'enquête, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La libraire mène l'enquête

Kate
May 15, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I read a Death on Demand mystery and now I remember why: the INCESSANT referral to this or that other mystery, in the form of a simile, as in "As Father Brown would say.." There is nothing wrong with this a few times a book. A few times a chapter however, and it can drive one batty. Sometimes I think these books exist solely to show off the author's admittedly encyclopedic knowledge of classic mysteries. But especially in Book on CD form, this really set my teeth on edge!
A
Sherry
Oct 19, 2014 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-this-year
A decent cozy filled with eccentric characters and a good story. Three and a half stars. The author inserted a lot of references to other mysteries and mystery authors which at first was humorous but it wore on me as the book progressed - thus the half a star rating.
Sara
Dec 10, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not think I would make it through these books if I didn't listen to them on audiobook. That's why I skipped #2...I couldn't get it through my library or ILL. The constant references to other mysteries and mystery writers (too braggy) and the outdated views are painful in print, but with Reading's narration I find myself rolling my eyes and laughing instead of giving up on the book completely. I have heard they get better as they go along, so I'll keep at it (at least in audiobook form). Gre ...more
George
Jul 24, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the death on demand mystery series featuring Max and Annie Darling set on Broward's Rock an island off the South Carolina coast. Before Max and Annie can leave on their honeymoon, Annie receives a panic call for help from her coworker. A body is found in the worker's home and she has disappeared thus is suspected of the murder. Anne and friends set out to prove that she didn't commit the murder.

As usual, Annie works through a list of possible suspects to discover the who, why and what happ
Kate
Oct 31, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance and detective Max Darling are finally tying the know, but a bizarre sequence of events might unravel this blissful marriage before it begins. With the ceremony completed and the champagne goblets emptied, Max sweeps Annie into his arms for an amorous moment ... then the phone rings and a woman on the other end of the line screams bloody murder!

"The newly weds rush to the scene of the crime, only to discover that Ingrid Jones, Annie's bookstore assistant, h
Syd Perry
Kathy Davie
May 01, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, homey
Fourth in the Death on Demand mystery series revolving around Annie Laurance, the owner of the Death on Demand bookstore located on Broward's Rock.

My Take
It's loyalty to a friend and a search for the truth. Crane certainly takes us on a winding path to solve this murder. And as irritating as I find Annie, I thank god for her as well because, lord knows, the legal authorities certainly are hopeless!

While I appreciated everyone's loyalty to Ingrid and enjoyed the quirky personalities in Hart's ser
melissa
Jan 05, 2012 melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was great. I love all the references the author packs into each novel. It shows the author is a huge fan of a wide variety of mystery novels herself. I was a little put off when I realized that the wedding was going to take place in the book (as opposed to in between them), but the author pulled it off well. The wedding took place in the beginning of the book, and really didn't have anything to do with the mystery, but was nicely worked in. I can't imagine wanting to do anything less on ...more
Sheila
Jul 22, 2015 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the audio version, and was amazed at some of the narrator's mispronunciations, such as "la-bar-a-tary" for laboratory. The author seems the readers to know the deprh of her knowledge of mystery writers and their books/characters, by mentioning them so frequently I'm convinced she used them to add to the length of the book. I skipped to the end just to find out who did it. The plot and thw resolution was thin & uninteresting.
Sandra Strange
Carolyn Hart writes about mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance and her mate, Max Darling (a southerner who has money, so works as a solver of problems because he neither wants to exercise or go through the certification process for law or as a PI or to put in much effort to work hard at either). This one entangles them in another murder mystery just as they've celebrated their wedding and are poised to leave on their honeymoon.
The series features Max's New Age psychic, artistic mother who is
Michele
Aug 21, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't totally convinced this was a good series when I started it, but the more I read the more I like it. The characters are just quirky enough to be amusing...but not so quirky they aren't believable. The plots are well thought out and I have yet to figure out who did it and why.
Ruth
Apr 01, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An entertaining romp-- just make sure you pack extra willing-suspension-of-disbelief capsules along with your bookmark when you set out. It's fun. It isn't taxing. But, please, oh please. In books 1 and 2 Annie (the series heroine) was suspected of murder and in book 3 it was Max (her significant other), now here we are in book 4 and it's Ingrid, Annie's stalwart assistant at Death on Demand who is on the official hook for murder. Who's next? Agatha the cat? Laurel the Mother-in-Law? Henney Braw ...more
Kathleen Meacham
A solid Death on Demand novel -- as they say, it is what it is. Could have definitely done without all of the GD's -- my goodness Carolyn Hart, it seemed like one of the characters started out every sentence with it -- cringe!!
Michelle
Aug 14, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the Death on Demand series, this installment features Annie and Max's wedding, which goes beautifully...but that very night, Annie gets a frantic call from her bookshop helper Ingrid, and when she and Max arrive at Ingrid's home they find the corpse of a much-loathed neighbor, but no sign of the inhabitant. As it turns out, every other inhabitant of Nightingale Court had a reason to want Jesse dead, but the police inspector assumes that Ingrid's disappearance proves her the murde ...more
Sue
Oct 23, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand#4) by Carolyn Hart.

Annie and Max finally get married.On the wedding night, they just make it to their room when the phone rings. It's Annie's best friend, Ingrid, and she's being attacked.The night of Annie and Max's wedding, the matron of honor disappears and a dead body is found in her home. The Darlings postpone their honeymoon to try to find their missing friend. Unfortunately, the horrid Circuit Court Solicitor takes over the investigation since the Br
Mary
Sep 06, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the reviews I was a little hesitant to read this book. But once I was into it I found it was what I have learned to expect from Hart. Yes, there is one character that curses a lot and I could see how this could set people off but it isn't the whole book. There are references to other mystery writers/characters but not to the degree that you cannot understand what is going on. I personally like how she makes this reference to other writers/characters because you either know who she ...more
Deb
Jul 21, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable light mystery.

Just what is needed to relax and escape for a few hours. This is only the 2nd one I've read in the Death On Demand series, but I am definitely and happily hooked.
Leslee
This is okay. The Death on Demand series is really for people who have read every mystery book ever written - everything that happens is compared to something that happened in some other book ("if this were a Mary Roberts Rinehart book, Annie would have done X"). I've read a couple of these before and didn't find it too irritating (though I haven't read most of the books referenced). It turns out, I must have been skimming, because when I was listening to this one, I kept wishing I could fast fo ...more
P Bright
May 19, 2015 P Bright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yeah................ I can't think of a thing to write............ I guess that says it all.
Allena
Mar 08, 2015 Allena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this series is pretty light reading and always a food distraction, even I I figure out who done it before halfway done.
Susan
I try one in this series every now and then, but I'm not a fan of Max or his mother, Laurel.
SpoonieReads
Aug 05, 2014 SpoonieReads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the cast of characters in this book. There was a nice mix of humour alongside pathos. I find the references to other mysteries a bit tedious at times but it is an enjoyable cozy mystery.
Vanessa
Nov 06, 2009 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The night of Annie and Max's wedding, the matron of honor disappears and a dead body is found in her home. The Darlings postpone their honeymoon to try to find their missing friend. Unfortunately, the horrid Circuit Court Solicitor takes over the investigation since the Broward Rock police chief is out of the country. The Darlings, along with Henny and Max's mother, must find Ingrid, clear her name, and figure out who committed the real murder.

This plot was not as well constructed as the previou
Liz
Predictable.
Carol  MacInnis
Oct 04, 2011 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another enjoyable 'whodunit' story by Carolyn Hart. I also enjoy following Annie & Max's relationship right into their wedding.

Right after their wedding, they went to their room when only to be disturbed by the telephone. It's Ingrid, Annie's friend and co-worker and she's screaming for Annie's help over the phone. When Max & Annie arrive, there is the notorious 'peeping tom' Jesse Penrick in the middle of Ingrid's livingroom floor with a sword in his chest and Ingrid is missing.

A good
Jassira Raxlly
A terrible disappointment. Full of body and slut shaming. I'm disappointed in Hart. I hope the next one is better.
Conni Harness
Jan 14, 2015 Conni Harness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good old fashion classic who done it. I'm loving this series! Kept my attention & read fast.
Chelsea
Meh. I have to warn you that on all these random mysteries I'm pulling off the shelf, I must be skimming them pretty quickly because a friend of mine told me she didn't like one very much that I had given 4 stars to as it apparently had a character who was into erotic art. Um? What? I either can't remember that part or honestly never had it register in my mind as I was skimming and reading. So, take these random books at your own caution!
Jessi
It took me a long time to read this book. Not sure if it was the anticipation of reading the Christie Caper but I think it was the pacing.
Ingrid has gone missing on the same night that a nasty old blackmailer is found dead. Did she do it? No one knows but regular law enforcement is out of town and the District Attorney just wants to blame the easiest person (Ingrid.) It's once again up to Annie and Max to solve this mystery.
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)