The Walk

The Walk

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  1,392 ratings  ·  177 reviews
It's one minute after the Big One. Marty Slack, a TV network executive, crawls out from under his Mercedes, parked outside what once was a downtown Los Angeles warehouse, the location for a new TV show. Downtown LA is in ruins. The sky is thick with black smoke. His cell phone is dead. The freeways are rubble. The airport is demolished. Buildings lay across streets like fa...more
Published May 31st 2009 by Five Star (first published 2004)

Impeding Justice by M.A. ComleyIn Memory of Greed by Al BoudreauLIGHTMASTERS by M.G. WellsFinal Justice by M.A. ComleyThe Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore
Kindle Authors
35th out of 241 books — 163 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoGraceling by Kristin CashoreUglies by Scott WesterfeldShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Best Kindle Books
101st out of 343 books — 276 voters

More lists with this book...

James Thane
Marty Slack is a failed writer-turned television executive. His job description is a bit elusive, but seems mainly to involve convincing other people that he's somehow essential to the process. He drives the requisite Mercedes; he lives in a gated community with an attractive wife who's a former actress, and he scores good tables at all the important restaurants. He's very solicitous of those people who can advance his career, not so much so of those who can't.

Despite his apparent success, Mart...more
Geoffrey
At the beginning of this novel, I pretty much hated the protagonist, Marty Slack. He was timid, shallow and self-involved and pretty much a stereotype of everything annoying about Corporate America types. As time went on, he began to grow on me as he wandered around the city. By the time Marty's plot twist revelation was revealed, I had already figured it out but it still worked in context of the story.

The book itself was an interesting snapshot of the aftermath of a major disaster and how peopl...more
Kat
Full review on my blog: http://theaussiezombie.blogspot.com

Natural disasters are the things that every PA fan’s dreams are made of. They’re realistic and possible and we’ve all imagined how we would survive ‘The Big One’ in whatever shape or form. And we’ve all seen The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and Independence Day at least once.
The Walk is the story of a normal, average guy, trying to make it home to his wife after his The Big One hits – an earthquake in LA. Marty thinks he’s got it all planned...more
Thomas Beekers
The Walk is the story of a TV executive's travel through LA wrecked by the Big One (the big earthquake, not the big nuclear war). Written by someone who spent much of his life in the TV industry, it's not surprising a lot of the book contains commentary on the TV industry and "profound" statements on the effects of TV on society. The book is also written with an intimate familiarity with LA, and never skips a mention of a street or building passed by, an unnecessary high level of detail that is...more
Jan Strnad
Actually, I read the ePub edition from Kobobooks, but I assume it's the same text!

The Walk chronicles Marty Slack's journey through a hellish land of earthquakes, explosions, floods, more earthquakes and various other disasters. It's a fast-paced, episodic read, often profane and violent and funny. The pacing and the spare prose remind me of a TV movie, which suits the story perfectly.

Martin Slack is a television executive, so right away (if you have any experience with television executives) yo...more
Susan
In retrospect this is a beach book. The plot is oh so simple and the writing moves you along like those people movers at the airport. I got very caught up in the story - when I wasn't reading it, I caught myself worrying about the characters and wondering how they were doing. And I was disappointed when I got to the end that it was over. I'm not sure you can ask much more than that out of a novel.
Charlene
The Walk is about one man's journey through the destroyed city of LA.

Marty is a tv network executive and not very likeable to boot. The book opens with him cowering underneath his car as the BIG ONE rips through the city. Once the main quake is over, Marty decides he needs to walk home to get to his wife. This story is about that walk.

I don't want to get any further into the plot, but I will say that this book reads like a TV show or miniseries. It is very easy to picture in your mind as the au...more
Erica Glass
I found that the situations he found himself in were just too unbelievable. Yes, I understand that after "the big one" there will be utter chaos, but all the things that were happening to him personally were just...unbelievable. And the ending was a surprise to me, but after learning said surprise it made me question things that happened along the journey that don't fit if the ending were true (trying really hard to not spoil here, but it's hard to explain). Oh well. Here is where I will spoil t...more
Todd Russell
A massive earthquake strikes the heart of Los Angeles and TV Executive Martin Slack must walk through 30 miles of carnage to get to his wife in Calabasas. Along the way he'll encounter various conflicts. This is a fairly basic survival story that skips the more familiar group ensemble story a la Irwin Allen (who is mentioned a couple times in the story). It moves fairly rapidly, save for some flashbacks exploring the relationship between Martin and his wife. There is one pretty good surprise at...more
Jerry
Jan 24, 2012 Jerry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This was a kindle freebie.. Kept my attention. Lee Goldberg writes screenplays, and this reads like it in that the timing and coincidences are quite a bit over the top. Marty just happens to be in the right place at the right time, and manages to just barely escape from quite a few extreme situations, as he walks from Los Angeles to Calabasas in his effort to be reunited with his wife. I was born and raised in and around the suburbs of LA and enjoyed the frequent references to his location as he...more
Jeremiah Graves
Holy crap, this book was awful. I kept reading it expecting to to live up to some of the great reviews it was given, but it never happened. The whole thing read like some sort of eighth grader's creative writing final paper. It had one-dimensional characters, an all-too-obvious "plot twist" and far too many instances of the writer simply telling the reader something (ie: the damage was catastrophic) rather than showing the reader something. Toss in a number of typos and grammatical errors and it...more
Christine
I love books like this. The ones where, right after an unsuspecting ending, you say OMG, Really?!? and then really want to go back and re-read them so you can go "AHA!" and wonder how you missed that. There were so many, MANY, great lines in this novel (the dialogue was outstanding), that I could never possibly pick a single fave...probably not even a top ten of them.

The main characters: Marty, Buck and L.A., were so rich! You love them, you hate them, you sooo want to take them home (or make th...more
Kate
Aug 23, 2010 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
So what happens when "the big one" hits southern California. A somewhat shallow TV executive struggles against all odds to return to his wife. An interesting character development and a very fast read. Not a very deep book but the main character Marty did develop nicely by the end. A somewhat surprise ending although there were hints and I had some suspicion that all was not as it was portrayed. If you like escapism with a touch of reality give it a read.
Helen
Denise Osborne
The premise was good but I didn't love this book. There was way too much name dropping of areas and landmarks. It took up the majority of the book. I once lived in LA and knew the places but I can't imagine what it would be like for someone that didn't know the area. The storyline was too predictable and I really didn't like or feel connected to the mail character.
Will Wesson
I completely lost focus just pages in, when the protagonist meets an armed character who wants the protagonist to rescue someone. So he shoots him. You know, just a little bit, the way reasonable people employ deadly force when they're just screwing with other people, right? So Fonzie put on the waterskis and jumped that shark, and I moved on.
Chris Kurbjuhn
Marty Slack, ein zynischer TV-Producer, überlebt knapp ein Jahrhundert-Erdbeben, das Los Angeles in Schutt und Asche legt. Slack macht sich auf einen langen, gefährlichen Fußmarsch, um nach Hause zu seiner Frau zu kommen.
Das ganze ist gut geschrieben, spannend gemacht, und gelegentlich spielt Goldberg ganz überzeugend mit der Ironie, einen TV-Producer in einem Katastophenfilm agieren zu lassen.
Das ganze könnte man als Zwischendurchentspannungslektüre durchaus empfehlen, würde Goldberg nicht ganz...more
Dave
This is a quick read, about a man who survives an earthquake in L.A. (The "Big One") The damage is off the scale, and help will be a long time in coming. He begins the long walk home to his wife, who he hopes is still alive.
Good action, and some humor as well. No spoilers here....
Robert
Got 25% into the book and had to put it down. This book sucks. Expletive upon expletive took away from the story very quickly, until I got to the point where I couldn't read any further. I wouldn't recommend this garbage to anyone.
Paul Totman
A thoroughly enjoyable read despite the typos!

I'd never read anything by this author before but after The Walk I'll certainly be reading more by Lee Goldberg.

Great dialogue, great characters - an all-round fun book to read!
Tom Hansen
I really enjoyed this book. It was short compared to what I normally read, but it packed a lot into it. While I don't think he'll win any awards for post-apocalyptic realism, it was an enjoyable read with a good ending.
C.S.
By turns amusing and horrifying, using black humor to offset the horrors of surviving a massive earthquake and its aftermath. A fast one-time read, with a twist ending of a standard cliche twist ending.
Elaine
Mar 18, 2010 Elaine marked it as started-reading-but-didn-t-finish
Shelves: kindle
What could have been a decent story -- perhaps, is in my book, a dud. Way too much filth. I started reading it but it's puke. Didn't finish.
Luscinnia
I love all kind of apocalyptic and dystopian stories and of course “The Walk” piqued my interest when I read the description.
At first we meet a very unsympathetic protagonist. A selfish, weepy prick who – which is understandable to a certain degree – seeks to not get into any further trouble in the city that became a nightmare after the earthquake and as he wanders the streets to get home to his wife.

Very soon there is more about it than just the journey home. I figured out the “plot twist” a wh...more
Jeffery Moulton
What would you do if there was an earthquake and you were separated from the ones you love by several miles? How would the experience change you? How would you find the courage to do everything you needed to do to return home safely? Those are the central questions to Lee Golberg's The Walk.

The book is at times serious and dramatic, often tense and thrilling, biting and satirical, and even out-right funny. It is about Marty, a TV network executive who finds himself in central L.A. when the city...more
Manny
Let me say that I enjoyed the first book of Lee's Dead Man series. This is a stand-alone story not connected to that series of books at all. I wasn't too impressed with it.

The story is about Marty, an average low-end TV executive that dreams of being a real writer someday. Marty is in Los Angeles when a huge earthquake hits and he has to walk through the wreckage and dangers to get to his wife, Beth in the suburbs.

Marty is accompanied on his quest by an obnoxious meathead called Buck, who's a g...more
Giovanni Gelati
Getting this post started was a tough one for me. I received an opportunity to read a novel by Lee Goldberg that he had penned a few moons ago, how many I am not sure. I think most good novels are not like bread and don’t have a shelf life and get stale and moldy after a certain date. The Walk was originally printed in January 2004; mine was printed August 25, 2010. The new technology is amazing. But I digress yet again.
The Walk is not an Adrian Monk novel so I didn’t know what to expect. Here i...more
Allthings
The Walk is an easy-to-read, fast-paced story following one man's journey to get home to his wife after The Big One has obliterated LA. The depictions of a post-disaster metropolis were fantastic, and there was some personal drama woven in with the gradual revelations of Marty's less-than-perfect home life. I actually liked Marty for all his flaws; he was just a guy trying to do what he thought was right. Buck was also a fun character - (view spoiler)...more
The Unfanboy
Post-apocalyptic stories form a special kind of escapist fantasy within science fiction. No matter what particular catastrophe brought civilization crashing down, the unspoken assumption in many such stories seems to be that humanity is somehow better for it. Depending on the author’s philosophical bent, the characters have rediscovered the meaning of self-sufficiency, learned to live in harmony with Nature, or finally accepted that the only polite society in armed one. In any case, the reader i...more
Angela
Martin Slack, network television executive, is on location with a shoot for a television pilot when "The Big One" hits the Los Angeles Basin. Miraculously, he is unharmed, other than a bump on the head. Surveying the devastation around him, he realizes the only way he is going to get home is by walking the 30 miles between his downtown L.A. location and the gated San Fernando Valley subdivision where he lives with his wife. He grabs a first aid kit and gym bag from his car, stuffs the gym bag wi...more
  • A Land of Ash
  • What Came After
  • Wrecker
  • Deep Winter
  • Waiting on Hope
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (Yesterday's Gone, #1)
  • Run
  • Man of Wax: Man of Wax Trilogy
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • The Zona
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of "The Heist" (with Janet Evanovich), "The Walk," "Watch Me Die," "King City," the "Dead Man" series, as well as th...more
More about Lee Goldberg...
Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr Monk, #1) Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr Monk, #2) Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr Monk, #3) Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr Monk, #4) Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)