Start by marking “Am I a Hindu?: The Hinduism Primer” as Want to Read:

Am I a Hindu?: The Hinduism Primer

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Book by Viswanathan, Ed
Published August 1st 1992 by Halo Books

To ask other readers questions about Am I a Hindu?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Am I a Hindu?

Paige
Oct 21, 2011 Paige rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I found this book in the young adult section of my library. I really enjoyed this book. The only real drawback to it is that sometimes he goes into detail where he doesn't really need to, and doesn't go far enough with some of the questions that his "14 year old son" (dude, I want a 14 year old son like that...) asks him. I found so much good information in this book that I'm sure I'll be looking up more information on all the stuff I wrote down from it on the internet for months...

Although I di
Ami
As one would expect from a religion that has millions of practitioners & has been around for hundreds of years, Hinduism is an intensely complex theology. It doesn't really help that the author skips around so much. The question & answer format makes for an enjoyable read. I really liked how he compared Hinduism to science, particularly in the beginning & very end of the book. I wasn't fond of some of his explanations, particularly that Hindus believe less fortunate people are enacti ...more
Shreeda
I think this is a good on-hand introduction to Hinduism. I first read it when I was maybe 13 or 14 years old? This worked well because the book is written as a dialogue between a father (the one who provides explanation) and his Indian American teenage son (the one who asks the questions).
Annette Abbott
Though it is written in a Q&A format of a conversation between a 14 year old American-born Indian and his father, it is by no means a "for Dummies" book.

I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of Hinduism. Though Sanskrit terms are explained, I think the author assumes the reader has basic knowledge of gods, practices, and beliefs.

It may not be everyone's "cup of tea," but for me it was a case of not too watered-down/not too deep. Just right.

Topics include Ved
Ajitabh Pandey
An excellent primer on Hinduism presented in the form of questions and answers between father and son. In summary you can call this FAQ of Hinduism. It explains various historical facts about Hinduism and how it evolved over a period of time. The information presented in this book shows that the author has done a significant amount of research on this religion or way of life.

This book can be made a ready reckoner and quick reference book about the Hindu religion.

A must read for all curious peopl
Anshul
Comprehensive and simple summary of the vastness of Hinduism. This book can be the springboard from which further study of specific aspects/scriptures of Hinduism can then be studied deeply.
The Q&A format is quite good.
The many analogies from daily life, e.g. a person meaning different things to different people yet being in reality just the one person etc, are also insighful.
Wallace
Although the question/answer format drove me a bit crazy, the information in this book is direct and can be easily found due to the formatting of the text. Enjoyable overall if you enjoy a scholarly read.
Marium F.
Dec 06, 2007 Marium F. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: maybe
This book is a very basic account of hinduism. The book is very dry and goes into a lot of detail. However, to have any kind of glimpse into this ancient relgion, this much detail is needed.
Mallika Kelkar
An excellent book to clear all doubts regarding Hinduism. A must read for youth.........
Gerald
Great intro/overview
Walter
your abc to India
Nishant Suneja
Nishant Suneja marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Chinmay Sane
Chinmay Sane marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Nirmala
Nirmala marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
NaomiRuth
NaomiRuth marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Harsh Choksi
Harsh Choksi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Sunil KapØŏr
Sunil KapØŏr marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Shalki Shrivastava
Shalki Shrivastava marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Heather Molloy
Heather Molloy marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Siddharth Shukla
Siddharth Shukla marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Santosh Iyer
Santosh Iyer marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • An Introduction to Hinduism
  • The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
  • The Essentials of Hinduism: A Comprehensive Overview of the World's Oldest Religion
  • Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World
  • Yoga
  • The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita - A Commentary for Modern Readers
  • Yoga: Immortality and Freedom
  • The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice
  • The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide to Yoga
  • The Evolution of Gods: The Scientific Origin of Divinity And Religions
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Complete Book of Chakra Healing: Activate the Transformative Power of Your Energy Centers
  • Bhagavad Gita As It Is
  • Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want
  • The Complete Works Of Swami Vivekananda: V. 1
  • Essential Zen
  • Arrow of the Blue-Skinned God: Retracing the Ramayana Through India
Am I A Hindu? The Hinduism Primer

“All matter, including you and I, has rhythmic movement within it and our quest should be to create a proper rhythmic harmony within ourselves…you feel happy when you sit near an ocean because your vibrations try to synchronize with the frequency of the waves.” 26 likes