Start by marking “Am I a Hindu?: The Hinduism Primer” as Want to Read:

Published August 1st 1992 by Halo Books

Paige
Oct 21, 2011 Paige rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I found this book in the young adult section of my library. I really enjoyed this book. The only real drawback to it is that sometimes he goes into detail where he doesn't really need to, and doesn't go far enough with some of the questions that his "14 year old son" (dude, I want a 14 year old son like that...) asks him. I found so much good information in this book that I'm sure I'll be looking up more information on all the stuff I wrote down from it on the internet for months...

Although I di
Ami
Jan 15, 2009 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: spirit-matters
As one would expect from a religion that has millions of practitioners & has been around for hundreds of years, Hinduism is an intensely complex theology. It doesn't really help that the author skips around so much. The question & answer format makes for an enjoyable read. I really liked how he compared Hinduism to science, particularly in the beginning & very end of the book. I wasn't fond of some of his explanations, particularly that Hindus believe less fortunate people are enacti ...more
Shreeda
Jul 27, 2013 Shreeda rated it really liked it
I think this is a good on-hand introduction to Hinduism. I first read it when I was maybe 13 or 14 years old? This worked well because the book is written as a dialogue between a father (the one who provides explanation) and his Indian American teenage son (the one who asks the questions).
Surender Negi
May 07, 2016 Surender Negi rated it it was ok
Shelves: hinduism
________________________________________
About Book
“Am I a Hindu?” written by Mr. Ed Viswanathan is nice book to know about Hinduism but I have seen lots of problem in this book. I advise reader to do not believed on content written in this book.
________________________________________
Good Points
1. Short explanation of different kind of Shastra, dharma sutra.
2. Try to cover almost every aspect of Hinduism. (But surly not fully explained).
3. Writer explain in question answer manner so easy to und
Ritika Gupta
Sep 27, 2016 Ritika Gupta rated it liked it
I would rate it 2.5 stars, this book is a good start for people who do not know anything about Hinduism. Easy to read and gives you a starting point. If one wants to read Hinduism in depth, this book can be considered as the Table of Contents though it gets repetitive after a while.
Annette Abbott
Apr 28, 2012 Annette Abbott rated it really liked it
Though it is written in a Q&A format of a conversation between a 14 year old American-born Indian and his father, it is by no means a "for Dummies" book.

I wouldn't recommend this for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of Hinduism. Though Sanskrit terms are explained, I think the author assumes the reader has basic knowledge of gods, practices, and beliefs.

It may not be everyone's "cup of tea," but for me it was a case of not too watered-down/not too deep. Just right.

Topics include Ved
Ajitabh Pandey
An excellent primer on Hinduism presented in the form of questions and answers between father and son. In summary you can call this FAQ of Hinduism. It explains various historical facts about Hinduism and how it evolved over a period of time. The information presented in this book shows that the author has done a significant amount of research on this religion or way of life.

This book can be made a ready reckoner and quick reference book about the Hindu religion.

A must read for all curious peopl
Anshul
Feb 03, 2013 Anshul rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive and simple summary of the vastness of Hinduism. This book can be the springboard from which further study of specific aspects/scriptures of Hinduism can then be studied deeply.
The Q&A format is quite good.
The many analogies from daily life, e.g. a person meaning different things to different people yet being in reality just the one person etc, are also insighful.
Kunal
Mar 30, 2016 Kunal rated it it was amazing
just a wonderful way to know so much about Hinduism 26covers almost all those areas which one can and cannot dare imagine on the subject 26a must read to know about the thing which one is primarily expected to know..
Wallace
Feb 27, 2009 Wallace rated it liked it
Although the question/answer format drove me a bit crazy, the information in this book is direct and can be easily found due to the formatting of the text. Enjoyable overall if you enjoy a scholarly read.
Saurabh Patki
Aug 13, 2016 Saurabh Patki rated it liked it
a nice read which the some of the basic questions on Hinduism. covers a wide area of topics in question and answer format which can help clear some doubts. written in a very easy language with a lot of facts which may surprise us
Marium F.
May 07, 2007 Marium F. rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: maybe
This book is a very basic account of hinduism. The book is very dry and goes into a lot of detail. However, to have any kind of glimpse into this ancient relgion, this much detail is needed.
Md Zahan
Md Zahan rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Vikrant Rana
Vikrant Rana rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Kristin Evans
Kristin Evans rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2008
Xysea
Xysea rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2008
Prem
Prem rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Victor Mike
Victor Mike rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Amruta
Amruta rated it it was ok
May 10, 2012
Niran
Niran rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2015
Neema
Neema rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Piyush S
Piyush S rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Purav
Purav rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Sunita
Sunita rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2008
Walter
Jul 28, 2012 Walter rated it it was amazing
your abc to India
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Alex Meno
Alex Meno rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Shemitrah
Shemitrah rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • An Introduction to Hinduism
  • The Essentials of Hinduism: A Comprehensive Overview of the World's Oldest Religion
  • The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow
  • The Bhagavad Gita: Royal Science of God-Realization
  • Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World
  • Asanas: 608 Yoga Postures
  • Yoga
  • The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita - A Commentary for Modern Readers
  • Yoga: Immortality and Freedom
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • Essential Zen
  • My Daddy Is a Pretzel
  • Great Stories by Nobel Prize Winners
  • The Complete Book of Chakra Healing: Activate the Transformative Power of Your Energy Centers
  • The Yoga Bible: The Definitive Guide to Yoga
  • The Evolution of Gods: The Scientific Origin of Divinity And Religions

“All matter, including you and I, has rhythmic movement within it and our quest should be to create a proper rhythmic harmony within ourselves…you feel happy when you sit near an ocean because your vibrations try to synchronize with the frequency of the waves.” 37 likes