A Doll's House

A Doll's House

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  46,575 ratings  ·  1,426 reviews
A Doll's House is Henrik Ibsen's best-known play. This masterpiece created quite a stir when it was first released because of its feminist stance. Considered by many to be the first truly feminist play ever written. The play comes to a climax as Nora, the play's protagonist, rejects her marriage and her smothering life in a man's "dollhouse." Wonderfully written, a true cl...more
Published August 14th 2008 by SMK Books (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about A Doll's House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Doll's House

Chelsea
David
First things first. Nora, the protagonist of Ibsen's A Doll's House, is a twit. There's no getting around it. We may choose to assign blame for her twittishness to her husband, her milieu, or her era, but this will never adequately mitigate her essential twit nature to that reader or spectator of the play who must endure her self-identification as her husband's 'squirrel' or her childlike idiocy. I myself couldn't stop wondering if Nora is an actual twit (i.e., a twit absolutely, regardless of h...more
stephanie
oh, nora. you are much maligned, and yet. i wonder why people find you so much more annoying than emma bovary, etc.

i think there's so much about this play as a historical document that i appreciate and enjoy and love that sometimes i forget it's supposed to be a PLAY.

that said, i don't think nora was *supposed* to be entirely sympathetic. i think her annoying behaviors are supposed to get on your nerves - but somewhere, i think, Ibsen hoped that you would see the way she acts is not simply who...more
Shaindel
Aug 29, 2008 Shaindel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, men, citizens of eart over age 22-23?
I read this in college (of course) and didn't "get it" until I taught it a few years ago when I took over an Introduction to Drama as Literature course for another instructor. Wow, Ibsen understood how stifling marriage was for women in this era and how hypocritical men were. I would go into more detail but don't want to drop a "spoiler." A must-read, a classic, but I don't know at what age most readers will get it. This is why I think you should be required to have the practice marriage that do...more
Carlie
I did not like this book because the main character got on my last nerves. A supposedly intelligent woman pretending to be an idiot to fit her husband's idea of what women are like? And in the end abandons her family. I have no sympathy for characters who punish the innocent children of their idiotic patnerships in order to "find themselves". Then again, I read this in high school so perhaps if I reread it I'll see what all the hoopla surrounding it is about.

No wonder people hate feminists! If t...more
Shriya
You'll ask me, "Why five stars?"
I'll answer, "Why not?" even though I felt like docking off one at first. Well, the reason is Nora and the last few dialogues of the play and probably my obsession with feminism (thanks to Ms. Atwood!)
The play overwhelmed me so much that I am now ready to disagree with anyone who has anything to say against Nora and hit all those who call Ibsen a destroyer of domestic felicity. All I have to say is if you want to know why they call Ibsen "the father of pro...more
Mariel
Jan 31, 2013 Mariel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barbie make me pretty
Recommended to Mariel by: the establishment
Helmer: Just think how a guilty man like that has to lie and play the hypocrite with every one, how he has to wear a mask in the presence of those near and dear to him, even before his own wife and children. And about the children- that is the most terrible part of it all, Nora.
Nora: How?
Helmer: Because such an atmosphere of lies infects and poisons the whole life of a home. Each breath the children take in such a house is full of the germs of evil.
Nora (coming nearer him): Are you sure of that
David
I found this play to be incredibly moving. Nora, a cheerful and devoted wife, eventually finds herself questioning the validity of her marriage and the man she thought of as her husband.

It was interesting to see how both Nora and her husband handled a crisis under pressure. Nora acted independently of her husband in order to save his life, while her husband responds selfishly and ungratefully when faced with the revelation of Nora's act.

Nora proved very moving in her realization that the man she...more
Hend
Nora a woman who comes to understand that her marriage wasnt as she supposed it to be , an illusion, and that her husband is a very different person from she once believed him to be..when he cant undergo one of the hardships in their life for her sake ....

She leaves her husband and her children because she feels it is for their benefit..
her husband accused her of being a "child-wife"she feels that he was right, that she is a child who knows nothing of the world. Since she knows so little about...more
Lisa N
I can’t understand why this is considered by many to be the first true “feminist” play. I cannot stomach many more stories of “feminists” who feel the need to abandon home and family to “find” themselves. What is feminine about walking out on your children, and in this case not even saying good-bye?

For a couple of days, I have been pondering what the masculine counterpart to a feminist is. I threw the question out to my family, and my 15-year-old daughter said, “You mean a jerk?” I think that s...more
Linda
Being one of the most talented playwrights in the 19th century, Henrik Ibsen, the Norwegian counterpart to Swedish Strindberg, is the most frequent performed dramatist in the world, second to Shakespeare. It's impossible to describe how influential he was. Ibsen is referred to as "the father of realism". "A Doll's House", premiered in 1879 a few weeks after its publication, became the most performed play in the world. UNESCO has inscribed the autographed manuscripts on the "Memory of the world r...more
JonSnow
I thoroughly enjoyed this play. Many people gripe about the feminist aspect of it, given that there's such an uproar about feminism the past several decades. But this was ground breaking stuff in Ibsen's time. While I don't agree with walking out on your family or children, I do think he makes a good point about how men controlled women so much, all those years ago (and in some cases today). Women were once (and again, in some places are) like cattle to be sold or bartered for without any though...more
Nermeen Kamel
رواية رائعة ,أكثر شىء أعجبنى لحظة إنقلاب شخصية نورا ورفضها لدور الدمية التى وضعها فيها أبيها وبعد ذلك زوجها هيلمر ,لحظة عدم تصديق هيلمر لذلك الإنقلاب وإتهامها بالهذيان لمجرد أنها كانت تريد تغيير حالها وعالمها وهو كان على إستعداد التخلى عنها فى لحظة عندما قرأ الخطاب ,كل هذ الصراع لم يختلف كثيرا عن ما نحن عليه الأن
أميــــرة
May 13, 2014 أميــــرة rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: أي حد عنده أطفال!
Shelves: plays, feminism
سبب معرفتي بهذه المسرحية هو أنني قرأتُ عنها في أكثر من مصدر باعتبارها علامة فارقة في تاريخ الأدب الذي يتناول الأفكار النسوية. ورغم قِدَمها، فإنني لا زلتُ أرى ما ترمي إليه متجسدًا في الواقع.

كم من أب -أو أم أو أخ- دلل ابنته حتى أفسد عقلها، وسجنها داخل صندوق معتم متصورًا أنه يعمل لمصلحتها بحمايتها من وعزلها عن كل ما يتطلب إعمال العقل وبذل الجهد. ينقل هذا الأب لابنته صورة مختلفة عن العالم، حدودها هي ذاتها حدود الصندوق الذي صنعه لها، وإذا تزوجت فإنها تتزوج أبًا جديدًا يستمر في عزلها عن كل ما يحترم عق
Mohamed Elshawaf
الأديب هو فيلسوف قديم لكنه وجد الطريقة المثالية لإلقاء فلسفته بعيدا عن صورة فيلسوف مدرسة الرياضيات فى أثينا، أو المعتكف خلف الجدران يعانى عراكاً عقلياً. الأدب فلسفة والفلسفة جذر الأدب، الأديب الذى لا يحمل رؤية فلسفية لتحليل الظواهر هو على أحسن تقدير أديبٌ تَعِس، البحث فى السعادة هى شغل الفلاسفة الشاغل، "الحقيقة تُسعدنا أم الخداع؟" إحدى موضوعاتها الأصيلة، أو هكذا يجب أن تكون!

أن تعرف أن جدار منزلك به شرخ ممتد قد يهوى به يوما، ثم تُزينة بلوحة فنية جميلة وتقنع نفسك أن منزلك الرائع مزين بلوحة رائعة..
Anastasia
"Ma la nostra casa non era altro che una stanza da gioco. Qui sono stata la tua moglie bambola come in casa del babbo ero la figlia bambola. E i nostri figli erano a loro volte le mie bambole. Quanto tu mi prendevi e giocavi con me, mi divertivo come si divertivano i bambini quando li prendevo e giocavo con loro. Questa, Torvald, è stata la nostra vita coniugale!"

Già, sembra proprio una casa di bambole. Assomiglia un po' al gesto del prendere la bambolina e schiacciarla al viso del bambolotto pe...more
Kelly
One of those books you were forced to read in high school that have far more relevance once you have a better/more mature perspective on adult relationships.

I remember hating Nora as a youngster: her silliness and frivolity, her lack of depth, and most of all, her role as doormat. I was also bothered by what seemed to me to be an abrupt --and thus unbelievable-- change.

Upon re-reading (and really reading, rather than cramming in the last act in the lunch room), Nora's light and silly personalit...more
Marie
This was a really fast fast read, like 80 pages in 2 hours and in english.

I wish I could have gotten the grasp of it a bit better myself, but it's still good to me.

Summary:

This is the story a dysfunctional marriage that didn't start with the right foot (Nora married Helmer to be able to keep her children and take care of his sick father). Now the situation is even worse and seems to be hopelessly going down.

I think I don't agree with the feminist lecture which only focuses on two points of the...more
§--
I suppose this didn't really have an effect on me because of the revolution (not a hyperbole, in this case) in social/sexual norms since 1879. That said, you'll have to go easy on me if my reactions are politically incorrect. The ending wasn't empowering or even admirable in any way. It was, instead, literally incredible. I don't find it heroic for a woman to walk out on her family or kill herself, as is subtly implied.

Where she says, "I have obligations to myself" (after her husband reminds he...more
HuhWhat
----------SPOILER ALERT----------

This was my first time reading anything by Henrik Ibsen. I did enjoy myself quite a bit, I felt the ending was a bit too abrupt but the build-up was excellent, I felt like I was getting to know all the main players. On the other hand, Ibsen probably thought if he was Nora he'd say fuck it and hightail it outta there at that exact point so I'm leaving that last star blank for uncertainty.

So, A Doll's House is a 3 act play featuring Nora, Torvald her husband, Mrs...more
Soplada
Nov 09, 2013 Soplada rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Soplada by: Noor Alssarraj
Shelves: feminism, youth
نورا : يجب أن أتزود بما ينقصني من دراية يا تورفالد .
هيلمر : أتهجرين بيتك و زوج وأولادك دون أن تفكري فيما قد يقوله الناس ؟
نورا : لست أبالي بما يقوله الناس ، فلا بد لي أن أذهب .
هيلمر : دون اكتراث بأقدس واجباتك ؟
نورا : وما هي أقدس واجباتي في نظرك ؟
هيلمر : وهل هذه مسألة تحتاج إلى شرح ؟ إنها واجباتك نحو زوجك وأولادك .
نورا : لدي واجبات أخرى لا تقل عنها قداسة .
هيلمر : غير معقول . ماهي ؟
نورا : واجباتي نحو نفسي .
هيلمر : أنت زوجة وأم لأطفالي قبل أي شيء آخر
نورا : لم أعد أؤمن بذلك . إنني مخلوق آدمي عاقل
علی
نقدی بر ارزش های ازدواج های قرن نوزدهمی. نورا، اولین زنی ست که شوهر و بچه هایش را ترک می کند تا خودش را بیابد. ایبسن معتقد بود که در جامعه ی مدرن، زن نمی تواند تابع قوانینی باشد که مردان تدوین کرده اند. با این همه "خانه ی عروسک" نمایش نامه در ستایش حقوق زن نیست. نورا می گوید با من مثل یک "عروسک" بازی کرده اند، اول پدرم و بعد شوهرم. او حتی امضای پدرش را جعل کرده تا بدهی های شوهرش را بپردازد. توروالد این که نورا این راز را سال ها از شوهرش پنهان داشته، او را سرزنش می کند و ناشریف می خواند. نورا فکر...more
Noor Alssarraj
"أحبني شريكة في الرأي والتفكير .. لا دمية من ورق"
~ نزار قباني

أعجبتني جدا .. من حيث الفكرة و أسلوب الطرح و الحوار .. جميلة

Ben
Preethi
Mar 19, 2012 Preethi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a woman in their lives
Recommended to Preethi by: Navdeep
Oh.My.GOD!
What a beautiful play!
In just under 100 pages, the concept of marriage and sacrifice are dealt and boundaries of love, admiration, friendship and desparation are treaded upon.
Its a wonder that a play as good as this was written in the late 1800s, when being a woman meant something totally different from now.
Yet again, this book proves that feminism, what it means to be a woman, what it is to have self-respect and not let anyone take you for granted have not changed in the past centur...more
Piccolamimi
La Nora Furiosa! :D

Tu mi fai girar,
tu mi fai girar,
come fossi una bambola....

Nora è una madre amorevole, sempre allegra e piena di gioia con i suoi bambini; Nora è un angelo del focolare domestico: è lei a mandare avanti la casa, a gestire la famiglia, a fare la donna, insomma. Quando - poco fa - ho detto che Nora è la moglie di Torvald, non l'ho detto a caso; se è vero, infatti, che i due vivono un matrimonio felice, che ai due sembra non mancare niente per rasentare la perfezione di copp...more
Safey
أعجبتني كثيراً و بالخصوص نضج البطلة و صحوتها في نقاشها الأخير مع زوجها الأناني الذي لا يحب سوى نفسه و إدراكها أنها لم تكن سوى دمية يسلي بها نفسه انتقلت من بين يديّ أبيها ليدي زوجها .

هيلمر : "ما من رجل يقبل التضحية بشرفه في سبيل المرأة التي يحب "
نورا :آلاف من النساء أقدمن على التضحية .

نورا : يجب أن أتزود بما ينقصني من دراية يا تورفالد .
هيلمر : أتهجرين بيتك و زوج وأولادك دون أن تفكري فيما قد يقوله الناس ؟
نورا : لست أبالي بما يقوله الناس ، فلا بد لي أن أذهب .
هيلمر : دون اكتراث بأقدس واجباتك ؟
نورا :
Praveen
“HELMER: I would gladly work night and day for you, Nora—bear sorrow and want for you sake. But no man would sacrifice his honour for the one he loves.
NORA: It is a thing hundreds of thousands of women have done”

“HELMER: But this is disgraceful. Is this the way you neglect your most sacred duties?

NORA: What do you consider is my most sacred duty?

HELMER: Do I have to tell you that? Isn't it your duty to your husband and children?

NORA: I have another duty, just as sacred.

HELMER: You can't have. W
Hani
ربما أمكن تلخيص دلالة عنوان هذه المسرحية, في هذا الحوار الذي دار بين بطلي المسرحية الرئيسين (الزوجين) :

نورا : (بعد فترة صمت قصيرة) ألا تشعر بشيء غريب في جلستنا هكذا ؟

هِلمَر : ما هو ؟

نورا : نحن زوجان منذ ثماني سنوات. ألا تدرك أن هذه هي المرة الأولى التي نجلس فيها, أنا وأنت, كزوج وزوجة, لنتحدث حديثا جادا ؟

هلمر : ماذا تقصدين بـ "جاد" ؟

نورا : في كل الثماني سنوات, بل أبعد من ذلك, منذ بداية تعارفنا, لم نتبادل كلمة واحدة في موضوع جاد.

هلمر : هل كان من المتوقع أن أحكي لك -دائما وأبدا- عن متاعب لم يكن ممك...more
What Happened After? 6 72 Jun 07, 2014 08:28PM
A Doll's House 4 33 May 24, 2014 09:50AM
Just Literature: A Doll's House 15 14 May 19, 2014 04:09AM
Devine Period 3: Classic Literature Book - Devin Mackin 1 3 Apr 18, 2014 11:10AM
Nora's doll house 9 133 Apr 08, 2014 11:41PM
  • Trifles
  • Six Characters in Search of an Author
  • The Recognition of 'Sakuntala: A Play in Seven Acts
  • The Caucasian Chalk Circle
  • Fences (The Century Cycle #6)
  • Three Plays: Rhinoceros / The Chairs / The Lesson
  • "Master Harold"...and the boys
  • بوستان سعدی
  • The Glass Menagerie
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night
  • Buried Child
Henrik Johan Ibsen was a major Norwegian playwright largely responsible for the rise of modern realistic drama. He is often referred to as the "father of modern drama." Ibsen is held to be the greatest of Norwegian authors and one of the most important playwrights of all time, celebrated as a national symbol by Norwegians.

His plays were considered scandalous to many of his era, when Victorian valu...more
More about Henrik Ibsen...
Hedda Gabler Ghosts Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder An Enemy of the People The Wild Duck

“You have never loved me. You have only thought it pleasant to be in love with me.” 130 likes
“You see, there are some people that one loves, and others that perhaps one would rather be with.” 76 likes